*** TEMP GAUGE ( Drawing )

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
This is a ruff drawing howthe temp gauge looks duringnormaloperation of myRTV 900. The Gauge on the left shows what the temp looks like right before the cooling fan kicks in, the Gauge on the right, is what it falls back to during the fan cycling.</P>

It does look like it's going into the red, but then the fan kicks in, and instantly drops back . [*-)]</P>

</P>

Does all of yours look and act like this, We all would like to know, tell us how your temps run !!!!</P>

Ricochet

Good post...looks right to me and the fan kicks in at approx. 206F (if I recall correctly...maybe it's 196F). [:cool:]

Of course, you need use the proper 50/50 coolant mixture.

ne-sd

Mine shows the same as yours - no matter what the ambient temp. Almost drives me nuts - I have operated heavy equipment and we always watched the temp. I am wondering if Kubota could come up with a thermostat that would release at a lower temp (195)?</P>

I will probably install a temp gauge that reads the temp off the motor head. I have one on my boat motor. The temp would not fluctuate the way the temp guage does.</P>

.</P>

Ricochet

Actually, the fan kicks in higher than 206F and cools things down to approx. 196F. There is no need for a different thermostat and it is normal for the temp gauge to read like it does. Bottomline: as long as you are not in the red (248F) your RTV & temp. gauge are running/reading correctly.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Like you, that gauge like to drove me nuts also. . Changing the gauge into one that reads off you motor head is only going to be there to comfort your eyes and brain. For the TRUE reading will be just where Kubota has them set up from the factory. Yes, it is nerve-racking, the way the gauge reads, but like Jippy said, long as you stay out of the red, you doing just fine. Living down here in the south, it get's really humid & hot, Ranthe RTV 900during the hottest of hot during the summer, and times, just about the time I was watching the needle get to close to red, " BAM" the fan would kick in and instanly cool it down a bit. Yes, it worried me at times, but after running it for awhile, I learned that the machine was built to run EXACTLY like that.</P>

We have other equipment that is deisels, and most of them run in the area of 205 - 210 F during operation.</P>

Another note, believe most of what bothers most of use is that the gauge just shows blank, and then a red danger zone. Where other equipment that many of us have, the gauge will have acutal numbers so we may know exactly what the temp is. Now if any gauges is to be changed, get one that has the temp numbers on them. That might ease your brain some >>>>>>> I myself, have thought about installing a temp gauge that has number reading on it !!!</P>

[*-)]</P>

</P>

sjcolu

Mine is a 2004 rtv 900 the temp guage moves about 1/4 of the way from the left to the right then the cooling fan kicks on and gauge drops back to just about the start of the gauge

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
From researce, I understand that the older model units gauges did act like that, wish mine would. BUT, don't believe that the older models run any different temp than that of the newer models. Just different gauge readings the way they are set up. Example, if manufactor A gauge reads 3/4 way over closer to the red, and the running temp is 205 F, manufactor B gauge is showing just 1/4 way up, far away from the red zone, manufactor B is still running 205 F in the engine. For I personally like the way your operational temp shows, just for a piece of mind. But I believe ( or hope ) our newer models are running OK, just spooky lookin' ~~~~ Maybe Kubota Corp found a different contractor that made the gauges for the RTV's....... Still wish I had a gauge that show the actual numbers of the running temp !!!! For like everyone else, this is mind boggling <<<<< Please, someone else put in there 2cents worth >>>>>></P>

Hope I made sense of this, I know what I want to say, just don't know how to really state it !!!!</P>

[*-)]</P>

Ricochet

Well, this temp gauge has been tweaked a couple of times i.e. calibrated differently (changed the Ohm settings for various temps...etc) & the red zone size has changed. So, depending on your S/N they could read different. However, what sjcolu mentioned doesn't sound right but it looks like it is cooling correctly.

seery

Mine shows like "sjolu" described.

95% it runs at 1/4, when being worked hard it may show 1/3.

My unit is a 2005.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="seery"]Mine shows like "sjolu" described.

95% it runs at 1/4, when being worked hard it may show 1/3.

My unit is a 2005.[/quote]
Ditto here on my 2004. Actually, mine spends a lot of time with no reading. I have to get it working some (like climb a mile long hill) to get it to 1/4.

Ricochet

Yeah, y'all have the early versions/revisions of this gauge. I guess some like them to read like you mention and others prefer the current way as shown in the image above. I think the current version/revision is best and it generally takes some time for the unit to warm up, especially when it's cold out (typical diesel operation).

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
What is the normal true operation temp of the RTV's ?</P>

I know on some of my tractors, Peterbuilts, and other farm equipment that are diesels, it's 190F - 205F. Have on small John Deere tractor ( diesel ) runs 185 F, no matter how you run it ~~~~</P>

Ricochet

[quote user="TWO GUNS"]

What is the normal true operation temp of the RTV's ?</p>

I know on some of my tractors, Peterbuilts, and other farm equipment that are diesels, it's 190F - 205F. Have on small John Deere tractor ( diesel ) runs 185 F, no matter how you run it ~~~~</p>[/quote]

Pretty much the same range...the RTV is similar to a tractor in operation (it was build on tractor technology).