Thank Goodness for R4s

jwstewar

Staff member
I was bush hoggin' Saturday and Sunday and all I can say is like the title says, Thank goodness for R4s. A few years ago we had an excavator with a track hoe and dozer come in and clean some of the property up and clean out the ditch that runs through our property. Well at some time in the past there was an old fence that ran along the edge of the property. I have taken so much of this fence out it is unbelievable. After I finished hoggin' I decided to move some dirt that had been left pile by the excavator - it did have a bunch of trees and such that needed burned. Between the burning and time most of the trees are now dirt.:smile: As I was moving it I found a bunch of that old fence. I used the loader to pull it out of the pile and called it done and headed back to the house. As I power washing the tractor (I always have to power wash after hoggin' because of the mud), I saw something on the inside of the left rear. I tried to grab it but I couldn't move it. I grabbed a pair of pliers out of the tool box. It was a piece of that fence. I got a big lump in my throat. I knew there was no going back. It had to come out. I grabbed and pulled hoping not to hear air or see fluid, because of where it is the tire would be ruined. It came out and I didn't see any fluid or hear air. Looks like it went in an eight to quarter of an inch and then turned. Had it been turfs or ags, I would've have been buying a tire as well as the tractor being out of commission for a day or to depending upon if Dad had one in stock.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hear hear! I'll 2nd that. My R4's have saved me from myself also. They are so hefty in all the right places. :beer:

The only major downside is once they fill with mud they are just BIG SLICKS! But knowing that you try to avoid those types of situations. Doesn't always work, but you try. :hide:

Mith

AGs are very robust if you hit the lug, but inevitably you always get the thin rubber inbetween :D

Jim, I have a buddy who reckons he can plug just about anything. Where abouts on your tyre was this stuck that you don't think it could be repaired?

I always just out in a tube for speeds sake, so I don't know how well these plugs hold up.

jwstewar

Staff member
The wire went in the sidewall only 1/2" or so from the bead. Dad has been in the tire business for 45+ years specializing in larger tires (semi's being among the smaller tires he typcially dealt with). Whatever he says I trust as the rule.:beer: I've always heard him say if it is the sidewall punctured in the tire it is ruined. He says because of the flexing plugs won't hold in the side wall. In this case, may have been able to get by with a tube.

jwstewar

Staff member
:poster_oops: I spoke to soon. When I backed the tractor out of the garage it seemed to feel a little funny. I looked down and the tire was bulging at the bottom and fluid was leaking out around the rim. I hurried up and go the little portable air compressor and aired the tire back up to seal it back to the rim. Immediately called Dad and asked him what I should do. I asked if he wanted me to bring it in or wait until he got off. He said bring it in in case it can't be fixed. After looking at it, he said he would try a plug :)confused: I asked him about not plugging a sidewall - he won't plug a car tire and doesn't recommend it on a tractor w/ low PSI that does having pulling stretching the tire). So far it has held. I put it back on and I've used the box blade to clear the area for our pool.

I've snapped a few pics. First is the tire ready to go back on, second is the actual plug. Last couple I have are of the tractor sitting in the garage looking all pitiful.

BTW, why don't tractor makers use studs and lugnuts like cars? It is a pain in the butt to put the tire on and have to get those bolts in the hole.:furious:

Attachments

• 100_1995.jpg
    100_1995.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_1996.jpg
    100_1996.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_1997.jpg
    100_1997.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 100_1998.jpg
    100_1998.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 218

PBinWA

Wow - you're lucky you have a Dad in the tire business. Did he plug it or do one of those hot patches on the inside?

I hear you on the putting tires on and off.

In order to mount my spacers and my wheels, I cut the tips off some long bolts and cut a line for a flat head screw driver in the top. I screw the two long bolts in and then slide the spacer and the wheel over the bolts to get everything into position. Then I put the other bolts in and remove the long bolts last.

I also use my jack to get the tractor into position. My tires aren't filled but they still weigh a ton.

jwstewar

Staff member
PB, he plugged it from the outside.

Not sure how much longer he'll be in the tire business, but at least I'll still have his knowledge and will be able to help me out when needed. He'll turn 69 in November.