The Little RTV that could….

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I live in central Tx where “hill country” is the usual description. The ranch has some pretty steep grades on loose gravel as well as some “boggy” river and pond bottoms. I have a small home-made trailer with little 5.70-8 wheels and I typically over-load it… It was likely intended for 500-800 lbs of cargo by its’ original builder… but I’ve re-built it using steel bed made of C-purlins and expanded metal and angle-iron side-rails…which added quite a bit of dead weight. Regardless, I’ve used it on the backroads for short distances carrying a ton (2K lbs for certain) and it has done the job.

But the real proof of what a Kubota RTV can do was proven over the last. couple days when I filled that little trailer with at LEAST a full-TON of heavy, green Live Oak logs…and towed it a mile back to the house thru woods, bottom-land and two STEEP hills (30-degree grades, no kidding). The RTV-X900 (2014 model) is completely “stock” without modifications..except I did add the genuine Kubota manual throttle system.

That system is probably intended to run the hydraulics in conjunction with implements and a hyd dump-bed …but I have no such things… it’s still a manual bed (in fact I have mounted a school-bus seat on it for addt’l pax.). But I did imagine the throttle kit might allow me to increase engine output BEFORE applying moderate “go pedal”….thereby providing increased hill-climbing ability. I’d not had the opportunity to test the arrangement until yesterday.

I should have video’d the hills and the hill-climbs…but failed to do so. I did, however, grab a pic or two of the loaded-down trailer …so you can imagine what it was like dragging that thing up a 1/4-mile long 30-degree grade of gravel-road…. Twice!
The first hill I used H-gear and 1/2 go-pedal and it almost bogged-down. The second hill I used the hand-throttle to set about half-engine speed and 4WD LOW gear…and I will confirm….it was THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD!

These little work-horses are such a Pleasure!

(The little generator powered my electric chain saw.)

Attachments

• 0CAA0FF7-5BC3-4C29-A155-319E66355FC9.jpeg
    11.5 MB · Views: 41
  • 900C4729-0321-45D6-B702-64100ED12A02.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 354DE76F-D04A-49C9-8065-CEDE8D8F3526.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome. :clap: :clap:
I wondered about the L low option. When I tried it I did not notice any difference. Then I was loaded , or I should say the bed of the RTV was loaded and I had issues on one of my steep hills. I could not make it up. I backed down and tried a second time. Nope. I put it in L and dang if it didn't go up the hill with ease. I was in 4wd for all attempts.

From my experience, it is hard to appreciate the L low range until you need it. Then it will put a smile on your face. :D

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was in 4wd for all attempts.
Can't say if it's true on the newer machines but on the older RTV's, it'll actually pull stronger if you're in 2WD.
I remember about 15+ years ago, this came up. The best test at the time was to lay a 4x4 behind both rear wheels. Reverse is geared about the same as M range in forward gear. If you tried to back up over it in 4WD, most times it wouldn't do it. Repeat the test in 2WD and it crawled over it every time.

Reactions: Doc

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Can't say if it's true on the newer machines but on the older RTV's, it'll actually pull stronger if you're in 2WD.
I remember about 15+ years ago, this came up. The best test at the time was to lay a 4x4 behind both rear wheels. Reverse is geared about the same as M range in forward gear. If you tried to back up over it in 4WD, most times it wouldn't do it. Repeat the test in 2WD and it crawled over it every time.
Backing-up is not comparative to forward capabilities because 4WD is geared such that the front wheels rotate very slightly faster than the rear wheels in order to keep steerage. Some vehicles have different sized tires on front vs rear to accomplish this….some vehicles do it with gearing…the result is the same. YMMV

Reactions: Doc