The Other White Meat

Two Guns,</p>

Watch out for the TUSKS on that one..........That isn't a cottonmouth........Those tusks will go through your boots.........</p>

Rusty Anvil,,,</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Yes sir, don't I know it first hand ~~</p>

I have received battle scars from them 'ole boys from years gone by ... Both legs carries bad scars, got a scar on my left arm where one slung his head and tried to take it off ... They don't play !!!! And yes, they will mess up a good pair of boots also... The hogs makes a man stay young, or, learn to move quicker, that is a fact !!!!</p>

The older I get, the more powder I burn ... </p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
back in duh day every year the guy who hunted on the land behind me would lose a good deer dog to a hog. dem suckers would pretty much gut the poor dog with one sweep of his tusk.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Those tusk are likesolid razar blades. And they have built in wet-rocks that they " chomp ' when they are mad, and when they do that, they are just sharpening the tusk, just to take you out. </p>

Personally, I can't tell you the dogs I've lost in the years of boar hogs. I can't tell you the dogs I've stitched up with needle and thread, just to keep them alive. Keep a stitch kit in the Kubota at all times. Never know when you might have to stitch up yourself, that has been done too !!!!</p>

You are rightTommy, they can just brush you by, and take you leg almost off ....</p>

See them pictures with all that Palemetto in the back-ground. That vegatation is so thick, that they can get on you before you know it. Shoot a deer down, go blood trailing, hogs can smell the blood, then, you got to defend yourself against the hogs just to claim your own kill. That is why I ALWAYS have my .45 auto in my shoulder holster. There are times when you don't even have time to pull it, just got to do what you got to do, and sometimes, that means just jump back out of the way, pray that he don't cut you on the first round, maybe that will buy you some time to draw and shoot. Done it many times. And many times, they have cut me too!!!!</p>

</p>

Deerlope

I could start a second career in retirment just hunting them bad boys. Just being in a blind waitin on them to come in. I could be just like a second job taking my coffee thremo right the job.</p>

Don;t want to run into that fellow in the dark,</p>

</p>

great photo's. I ordered me a Cuddeback this weekend from Amazon. One of the sellers you said the other day has them there also.</p>

The reviews are mixed. Some love them other may of gotten a bad one and had to send it back.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Trust me Uncle Doug,</p>

I've spent good, hard earned money on just about every other brand out there.And I've owned and now own many, many Cuddebacks, ( & waiting for more to be delivered within the next day ) as for now, unless modern tech comes out with a better camera, they will be the onlybrand Iuse. They are like anything else, you will run across a sour one every now & then, but I have not yet !!!! Always remember, do EXACTLY what the instruction state, or you will " ZAP " that camera, and then it is worthless !!!!</p>

What model did you purchase Uncle Doug ?</p>

Purchase several CF / or SD cards, Instruction states on some camera's, don't get over a 2 Gig, myself, I just stick with the 1 Gig, that will keep all the pictures you will take, I know. Another thing, ALWAYS, keep yourself a couple of extra packs of size " D " batteries. For the way weather changes down here in the south. When the mixture winter days show up, really cold nights, and then hot days, that seems to pull the batteries down quicker, that what I've found out ... Swap the memory cards out when you go check the camera, that way a fresh card is always in there. Batteries, when they get down to 50 %, I change them also >>> The " eye " pics up much further and much faster & quicker with 50% plus charged batteries. Purchase you a canvas bag of some sort, I use a shooters bag, and it's small enought tokeep batteries and cards together, and easier to keep up with. The cards are kept in a small Pelican brand handy box, to keep from crushing the cars. </p>

I can remember when I used to use the 35mm films in outdoor cameras, they were devilish, one was always opening the box when it should not , light would get in and ruin all the film. Batteries didn't last, film fouled up, camera's barely worked. And the cost, oh boy, I would never tell that to my wife what I spent at the Wal Mart one hour developing center. Money , Money , Money >>>> thought I was going to break the bank !!!!</p>

Enjoy your Cuddeback, it will serve you well !!!!</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Baby Buck & Coon >></p>

Click on picture to enlarge !!!!
</p>

Wish people could get along as well asanimals >>>>></p>

</p>

....... two guns </p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
They even catch the Kubota creeping around in the dark >>>
</p>

...... two guns </p>

Here is a buck hanging around the lease. This is at my friends stand just down from mine.</p>

</p>

Freds019.jpg
</p>

</p>

The camera I ordered is the Cuddeback Capture game scouting camera. $178 plus shipping. I was a little disapointed with his camera. This was one of the best shots. Others you can bairly see what is out there.<span id="btAsinTitle"></span></p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
That is a nice deer. Capture is a great camera !!!!You will enjoy it ~~~~</p>

</p>

........ jamie</p>

Texas went state wide with a 13" spread for bucks, that and cull spikes and 3 points are the only legal bucks this year. Their sugested guilde is the width 13" should extend to the width of the ears. This one will be right at the legal limit if the ears are erect. I zoomed in on one of the photo programs and it looks like a 8 pointer.</p>

Here is another buck, looks to be a little smaller rack.</p>

Freds015.jpg
</p>

</p>

We should have a heaver concentration of deer and hogs due to the high water. The Trinity river is outs of it banks and all the river bottoms are flooded. Right now the high water comes to within about a mile of the lease. Even at my place futher south the 4 legged animals are moving to higher ground. That was a driving force for the camera. We are seeing lots of tracks of both deer and hogs. Need to see what times of day they are visiting the sites.</p>

</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Texas have specialdoe hunts or doe days / weekends, etc ? ,What is the limit on your deer ? Buck & Doe ?</p>

The seasons opens here in east Texas Nov 7. Youth weekend was this past weekend but I did not hear of any local kills. Does can be taken Nov 7-29 without a permit. Limit 2 bucks and 2 does. Out in the hill country and west Texas you can kill 3 bucks. This is the first year in east Texas with the new buck rule of a 13" spread plus spikes and 3 points. Our lease, as this was their first year put in a no doe kill rule. Of course they did this without consulting any of the wildlife agents about buck doe ratios in our county.</p>

</p>

</p>

The season opens here in East Texas Nov 7. Does can be killed without a permit Nov 7-29. Our county and most of east Texas is 2 bucks and 2 does. Our lease did not apply for doe permits but could of gotten some with their acerage, They (the lease) also put in a no doe kill rule for this year. They claim this is their first year and wanted to see what is out there. Most of east Texas has too many does but most of the old timers will not kill them thinking they are preserving the deer herd.</p>

</p>

No closed season on hogs.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[quote user="Uncle Doug"]</p>

Of course they did this without consulting any of the wildlife agents about buck doe ratios in our county.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Uncle Doug,</p>

MIght want to talk things over with some of the folks in your lease. It's not to late.Been doing the deer management thing even before they called it that . And ya'll need to take them does. I'm telling you that is so important to the herd. You will have bigger deer, better deer, and believe it or not, more deer in the end of a few years.</p>

For we've delt with folks, who thought like many , that if you kill the does, you are hurting the herds. But that is so much wrong. IF you do it right .... Management is what it's all about. Keeping the ratio as close to perfect as possible. And many of them now, will tell you that taking the does is the BEST thing they have ever done. Don't mean you've got to kill every one in sight . Just thin them out ......</p>

Taking the cull bucks is also a plus, got to get them genes out of the herds. There are several really big bucks, that I will not shoot just so they will pass on the genes that they have. I know there is many places that can not be done. But if you can control your members to really do the right thing, no telling what ya'll will have in years to come. </p>

Another note, if you have just one person in a club / lease that don't go along with rules of management, it can sure mess things up for the whole battle plan. Everybody has to do their part .....</p>

There is a whole bunch of information on the web about Quality Deer Management, get a chance, give it reading ..</p>

........ two guns >>>>></p>

</p>

</p>

When I got on this lease I though this friend of mine was the one that set every thing up. Turns out it is another guy running the lease. Good fellow, just does not know much about deer management. I missed their meeting they had as I was working that night.</p>

</p>

My great-uncle now 2 uncles has run the same lease in east Texas for over 50 years. I remember hunting on it as a kid. Part of it is the old family homestead. I was on it for about 10 years when my boys were teens. Got off of it when they moved out. It is about 75 miles from me now.I may have to get back on it next year. Not that they were any better at management but they knew deer being raised on the place.</p>

Got on this new lease this year as it was only 15 miles from the house. I guess it will depend on how the season goes on if I will be back next year. I still hope to draw some deer into the back of my place next to the wildlife refuge. The buck buster food plot looks good. It is 8-10 inches tall now. I fenced it off with a 28" high cattle panel to keep the hogs out of it. Most of it was with the 4 inch square panel and has kept most of the hogs out of it. I did use one piece of regular cattle panel and some of the piglets must be squeezing through to get inside the fenced in area as it is mashed down in a couple of areas. I have not seen any deer tracks inside of the fence area and so many hog tracks outside to tell. </p>

Still very wet with most of last weeks rain still draining off. I wanted to go out to the lease today but decided to get some work done around the place today while the sun was shining. Taking a 5 day weekend starting Friday this week for the opening week.</p>