Think I have decided on a Winch mount,maybe.!

MRBASS

Wanted to see what ya'll think and make sure i wasnt missing something.</P>

Attached is a picture of a Warn Winch Mounting kit, for 2 locations. I already have a receiver and a plate I can weld to it for the mount. This way i can use the winch on the front or rear receiver. Weatherproof connectors and this kit is rated for 50 amps. They also have a 175amp kit but i thought was overkill.Am I missing anything?I think this would be a great setup. </P>

One question i did have was the receiver mount on the front says max 650lbs towing or 110lbs tongue weight. If I was winching the RTV out of the mud there would be much more than 650lbs on the receiver. I Believe Two Guns has his mounted to the front bumper,,any issues winching with the bumper? Obviously mounting on the front pocket would be best but I know while Elk hunting this yearI will be wanting to winch from the rear. last year we winched several Elk into the back of my uncles rtv with a winch mounted in the rear receiver. </P>

Ya'll please give me your thought on this..</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you have a drawbar and plate, I'd say you have all the components.

Although the front receiver is rated less, the rear receiver isn't theoretically rated high enough to tow the RTV either. I would avoid pulling heavy loads from the side to avoid potential twisting. I'd also consider adding a couple "safety chains" that go from the mounting plate to something sturdy around the RTV. For the back, I'd wrap them around the rear axle. In the front, I'd consider putting some grab hooks on the front grill guard mount where it attaches to the frame and connet your chains there.

I can offer no guarantees with this but I'd "guess" that a 3K# winch or less would bog down/quit before you would break one of the receivers on the RTV.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Actually, mine is really just kinda resting on the front bumper. Any actual stress with be coming from the RTV itself. If you will look at the picture, the mounting plate goes way up in the throat of the front, and has tow support / brace brackets that swing under the bumper for support. So my winch is not really pulling from the bumper at all ~~~~ The winch plate really just samdwitch over and under the bumper >>>></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2> </FONT><FONT color=#ff0000 size=6><FONT face=JohnHancock>~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~ </FONT></FONT></P>

Two Guns,</P>
<P style="__styleDocument: [object]">What size is your winch??? And what kind of mounting plate do you have???????? I am still trying to decide also???? [*-)] Sorry for all the questions again.................</P>
<P style="__styleDocument: [object]">Rusty Anvil,,,,</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Please don't apologize for asking , that's what this forum is all about . Folks helping Folks ~~~~</P>

Winch is a 3000 lb. Ramsey w/ Rocker Switch set-up > >>> Keep a snatch block in my tool box in the back, just in case I would ever need it. But that winch will drag me out of any hole I get in !!!!</P>

I purchased my mounting plate setupfrom allterrainonline.com >>>> It's really heavy duty, and bolted up PERFECT >>> Easy installation, and love the way the winch is mounted on the RTV. </P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2> </FONT><FONT color=#ff0000 size=6><FONT face=JohnHancock>~~~~ Two Guns~~~~ </FONT></FONT></P>

ez chair

Hi MrBass, I too am buying a winch. First, your 50 amp power wire. A Warn RT 30 (3000 lbs) has a full pull draw of 198 amps. The 175 amp will work ok. The 50 will not work and will because of the heat resistance you will generate, do damage to the winch motor. As for using the 1 1/4 reciever, if you look there is a tag next to the back reciever stating tongue weight 110 lbs. pull 1300 lbs. The RTV weighs 1950 lbs (without cab). Remember the 1300 lbs pull is assumed to be on good ground with minimal resistance. Now take a 2000 lb RTV stuck in the mud. Break out force is said to be close to 1 1/2 times the weight of the machine. ( this is a spec used by winch manufacturers to size winch to unit) You are 2 1/2 times over the rating of the hitch pull rating. I don't have any spec on the 110 lbs tongue rating, but if you pulled on an angle you could easyly pull 10 times the rating with a 3000lb winch. Putting a bend in the suspension cross bar is a given. If you are only going to pull light stuff that won't snag, then be very careful. If you use this mounting system you are thinking of , I would use no bigger than a 1500 lb. winch. Two Guns is mounted to the correct place. Warn makes a mount that is rated for there RT 40 (4000lbs) and Ramsey makes one that is rated for their 5000lb winch. One of them may be what Two Guns is using. These two winchs are what is spec'ed by the manufacturer. 3000lbs will work, a hair light if you are really going to work it.Hope this helps, lots of good info on the site on winchs. I'm waiting for my local Warn dealer to come back from Warn's dealer meeting to buy mine just in case they have any new additions. Should have mine March 1st. Happy Winching!</P>

MRBASS

Now I am rethinking this idea...!</P>

I have no intended purpose for the winch other than "just In Case" I get stuck or something like that. I only have a 2500lb winch but like I stated before this was a free winch that a buddy had on the shelf of his garage. I figured with a snatch block it would do what I needed it to do, if I ever really needed it. Thinking now that maybe i should just call all terrain and get the right mount for the pocket and then mount this winch to it.. </P>

TWO GUNS,, is that a Ramsey winch mount specifically for the RTV?</P>

I do know that on my uncles rtv we made a mount for his winch using the rear receiver and even attached a snatch block to the Rear ROPS to winch elk in the back. I never liked the idea but he didnt care and it did seem to work fine. Ineed to rethink this whole deal for sure..</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000 size=5>Yes , the winch mount from ATO , is made just for the RTV's ~~~ >>>>>> !!!!</FONT></P>

<FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=6><FONT color=#0000ff>~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~</FONT> </FONT></P>

ez chair

All Terrain has the RTV mount. I think $75approx. Putting your 2500lber on it should be no problem. Snatch block will give you 5000 pull for a distance of a little less than 1/2 the cable. 20ft if 50ft cable, 12ft if 30ft. This is enough to get you out of most "sticks" I would go with your free 2500 lber ( can't beat the price) and up grade only if needed. Also when Kubota first came out with the RTV 900 it had a 2500lb Warn as Kubota's ($709 inst) winch. Now the winch is Warn's 3000. In taking to my dealer, he said that in very few senarios customers were complaining of the 25's not being enough. When you call A_T get the one that matches, if Warn, the same plate fits 25 and 30, I thinkRT 40 is a different plate. I think Ramesy 5000Honco is totally different plate even than the smaller Rams. If you have neither the pick the mount that you would use if you upgraded. FREE 2500lb WINCH, what taking so long, Get out there and start winching!

ez chair

Two Guns I see your wife on your web cam! See's beautiful. Don't tell me you used the line " If you kiss a frog he'll turn into a prince" to land her! You do have nice teeth though!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
If your talking about mine on the pic, look at the decal on the top right hand side, it says 3000 pounder >>>></P>

<FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=6>~~~~ Two Guns~~~~ </FONT></P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Thanks for the kind words >>>>> And yep, I did use that line !!!! The teeth is what sold her on the deal !!!!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="MRBASS"]Thinking now that maybe i should just call all terrain and get the right mount for the pocket and then mount this winch to it.[/quote]
If you're going <u>in</u> the pocket, no mount is required. It's already built in.

[quote user="MRBASS"]I only have a 2500lb winch but like I stated
before this was a free winch that a buddy had on the shelf of his
garage. I figured with a snatch block it would do what I needed it to
do, if I ever really needed it.[/quote]

Where is this 2500# winch right now? Here's a thought. If you're going with a multi-mount configuration and you're getting the wiring harness anyway, get the harness and install it. Slide that 2500# winch in the pocket and connect to the harness. When you install a winch, it's about a 3-4 hour process as I recall. Most of that is pulling the wiring and installing the winch is relatively quick. Installing that existing winch won't cost you anything but the 1 hour to install. Take your RTV out and connect the winch to a tree or something. With the emergency brake on, try towing yourself straight pull. Then put in the snatch block and pull yourself again. Look at the results. If at least one of those pulls started dragging the RTV (with the tires locked and skidding), you'll probably be OK. It may also give you an idea of whether you think a 3K, 4K or 5K winch may be worth the $ vs. the comfort level.

BTW - Don't forget the the pulling capabilities on the winch are strongest when the cable is on the innermost spool. Basically, if the winch spool is full of cable, you don't have the strength you would if almost all the cable was out and you're only working/pulling on the first spool touching the drum.

ez chair

BC, great detail, Warn RT 30 3000lb is measured at drum. 4th or outer layer 1910lbs. One can see why one should carry a snatch.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="ez chair"]BC, great detail, Warn RT 30 3000lb is measured at drum. 4th or outer layer 1910lbs. One can see why one should carry a snatch.[/quote]
Or be sure to get stuck farther from the tree.

MRBASS - The harness in your original post to this thread, who's is that? Warn makes a harness specifically for this type of application and wonder what amp kit they use. I'm electrically impared (can't you tell by my lights) but I believe the difference is in the connectors, not the cable. The cable is probably the same gauge in both setups unless, one kit is for something like 2000# and smaller, the other for 2500# and larger.

Check each brand for their amp draw. For an example, click on the product comparison chart on this page. http://www.ramsey.com/atv/atv3000.html

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I agree with bczsoom on the connectores >>> </P>

</P>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2> <FONT face=JohnHancock><FONT color=#ff0000 size=6>~~~~ Two Guns~~~~ </FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>

MRBASS

Thank you all very much for your input.. I am also very winch savy but havent ever had a winch on an RTV or even owned an RTV until now. I have had several winches on Trucks and several trailers.</P>

The wiring kit is made by Warn, there is a 50amp version and a 175amp version.</P>

The winch I received from my buddy is a Mile Marker Winch,or at least it said it on the box. After looking at the winch closer there is no name on it anywhere but the box. It appears tobe built good but no name for sure.Yes, I know Two Guns,, More pics are needed of the winchand I will do it very soon!</P>

I have a welder and a torch,Thinking of just making my own mount for the front rather than pay 75.00 or more. I have several pieces of plate that will work also. I just really like the idea of being able to move the winch front to back as needed. Being mounted to the front onlylimits the use for sure.!</P>

Two Guns,, is your mount mounted in the pocket and also to the bumper or just in the pocket? I notice there are already holes in both the bumper and the pocket although none of them lin eup for my winch or fairlead..</P>

</P>

I am off to take some pictures of my winch.!</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=5>The mounting plate has four bolts in the throat that holds the plate down, then , has two bigger bolts on the support that swings over the front brush guard / bumper. All is supported by the RTV , no connection to the brush guard ~~~ The bottom support in connected to the same tee cross member that the brush guard / bumper is connected to !!!!</FONT></P>

<FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=6>~~~~ Two Guns~~~~ </FONT></P>