Thoughts on the XG850

cchaffee

So I have had a 2005 RTV900 that i rebuilt many years ago from junk basically. I put a Curtis plow on and it has been the greatest machine for many years.

I am thinking about getting a brand new machine before I retire, and I would like to trail ride as much as i would work/plow.
Topping out at 23 mph with the old girl just won't let me go on rides with the rest of the machines around here.
It shouldn't be a hard sell as I repaired a newer RTV1100X in my shop, and took the wife for a test ride (18 miles just in case). She is the one who suggested my old girl is tired, maybe I should get a new one! After blacking out and recovering....

I have been pricing an RTV XG850SL-AS with aluminum wheels, full cab, hard doors, heater, winch, all the goodies.
I want to also use a Boss V-plow on it.

Thoughts on the machine from you folks overall?
Thoughts on the plowing/working side?
I really want the ability to go riding with the other folks around here, so speed is a factor.

Thanks, been here a few years so I really respect your input,
Curt

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Curt, I nearly choked on my coffee after reading about your reaction to your wife's suggestion. I think now would be a great time to replace the machine. The only complaint I have read about on here is the throttle sensitivity and position. The Sidekick seems to have plenty of torque and is built, I believe, on the same chassis as the RTV. I haven't learned to work on a diesel so a gas motor appeals to me and would likely have a lower maintenance cost if you could do maintenance and repairs yourself. The only other thing I would consider is the dump bed. I am not sure what your options are there since the hydraulics are not as integrated. I think I read electric over hydraulic.

Hope that helps. I really envy the position your in life and that fine wife you have there. I am a few years from retirement and learning all I can from you experienced troops.

FTG-05

Here are two recent threads that might help:

I've had mine since last Wednesday. While I love the power and speed, the sensitive "twitchy" throttle foot pedal is a huge turn off, especially when trying to do low speed sensitive work. And that's the main reason I got it: work; play time was a secondary requirement.

ItBmine

I haven't tried one, but it's strange that I have read and watched so many video reviews and not everyone complains about the throttle?

But just looking at pics.....it does look to have an odd placement. It looks like it is pretty high off the floor.

I gotta go try one. Now that I have my 1100C I kinda wanna get an 850 and get rid of my lemon junk Polaris's.

FTG-05

Is the throttle a direct cable set up or fly by wire? If direct, I wonder if a stouter return spring would help.
Direct cable set up.

Pics:

IMG_1344 (Large).jpeg

IMG_1340 (Large).jpeg

I've heard of people replacing that tension spring with (presumably) a stronger spring,. I also read where one guy straightened that curve out on the pedal rod. Seems like two easy fixes, assuming of course, if they work.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Looks like it already has a garage door spring on it. But bending the pedal would make more sense. What would make the most sense is if Kubota would acknowledge the issue and create a fix.

cchaffee

Thanks everyone. After i posted this thread i did see the Got my XG850 today thread, somehow i had missed that. All good info, and I am in no hurry so I have time to learn all i can from you.

That is one beefy spring! What does the connection of the pedal to the cable look like?
FTG-5,
does the pedal have a long stroke, or is it pretty short?

man00

What does it consist of?
That I could not tell you, I was not there but looked like a plastic bag of a few parts. The mech said mostly it was some adjustments. It helped a tiny bit but not a fix for sure...I bet your upgrade is far better

FTG-05

Back to the XG: I've had mine for just under a month and I grin ear to ear every time I drive it. Plenty of low end grunt, plenty of speed when I want it. Not nearly as noisy as my old -900. Riding down my one mile gravel road is like riding on a soft pillow. Between the 26" ITPs and the four wheel independent suspension, it just soaks up the bumps and rough road.

I've already mounted a 22" Nilight LED light bar to the front grill; I'll mount a couple work lights to the bumper this afternoon.

I'll be using these very convenient light bar mounts:

71H7xDy-PZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Kubotas version is $22 each IRC and only fit the 2" bar. These will fit 1", 1.5", 1.75" and 2" bumpers and roll bars.

Reactions: Doc

ItBmine

Those are sweet FTG-05.

I really want to try a Sidekick. As soon as I make back some of the money I spent on the 1100 I'd like to replace my Polaris's with an RTV 850.

Reactions: Doc

FTG-05

So two things to report after having my XG850 for just over a month now:

- The steering wheel is clocked about 10 degrees to the left when the wheels are pointed straight ahead. Looking at the Messicks online parts diagram, seems a simple fix: Take the plastic cover off, unbolt the steering wheel and replace where it's correct.

- Sometimes, the XG will "stumble" when pressing the gas in High. Engine won't rev, jerks forwards a couple inches, then stops. Usually to overcome it, I push the throttle almost all the way down; I have to do it carefully so as to keep control; so far so good. Anyone experience this problem?

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Humble opinion...the honeymoon between the dealer and the customer only lasts a little while. If feasible, I'd take back to the dealer and tell him you would like both issues fixed. They tend to be somewhat less responsive after six months of ownership.

FTG-05

Humble opinion...the honeymoon between the dealer and the customer only lasts a little while. If feasible, I'd take back to the dealer and tell him you would like both issues fixed. They tend to be somewhat less responsive after six months of ownership.
Prolly gonna have to. I tried to fix the off set steering wheel last night. Taking the piece of plastic and the nut was easy enough. Could not get the wheel off. Granted, I didn't pound the crap out of it or use drastic methods. It appears it takes a special tool to get it off. :(