Tire Sealant Recommendations

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I used to own an old Ford 9N that I constantly got flats from mesquite thorns for the ten years it took to finally rid my grass runway of them. I used “Slime” in the inner-tubes but it ruined the wheel-rims causing severe rust and before I could sell that little tractor I had to buy new wheels for it because the originals were so honey-combed and holed they were scarey.

I now have this little RV-X900 and run it on the ranch where mesquite thorns are still a problem and this last weekend discovered a large thorn in the left front tire. I did the foolish thing and plucked it out with pliers and got the dreaded “hiss”... so I dismounted the tire and patched it and reinstalled it.... only to discover I’d made the classic mistake of not identifying ALL the little punctures before making the repair. That tire still has another 3 little tiny pin-hole leaks... and I’m trying to decide if there’s a better sealant than “Slime” (which is water-based) that causes steel wheels to rust. I also would prefer some type of sealant that doesn’t make a “mess” if I ever have to remove the tire in the future.

Any actual EXPERIENCE with other products you guys might recommend?

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
Check out Project Farm ..This guy does some testing and some very good videos on his YouTube site,
heres one on Tire Sealant ,. I think they will all make a mess..

Last edited:

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I like tubes. Old school but they work.
Yeah...me too... but you’ve got to pull them, patch them, and if you run in rough country with thorns...you’ll be constantly patching. I know the tire folks hate ‘em but plugs have always worked well for me... I guess I was hoping for some technological break-throughs ...

Reactions: Doc

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Check out Project Farm ..This guy does some testing and some very good videos on his YouTube site,
heres one on Tire Sealant ,. I think they will all make a mess..
OK...well I viewed his video and ordered the MultiSeal product he found good. When I went to the MultiSeal website, they have re-named the product “FlatOut” although it is still “by MultiSeal”. A 4-qt pkg arrived today and I’ll inspect all the tires and install a qt in each.
I expect to take the RTV out to the Big Bend area of Texas next week and drive over several hundred acres of rough, unimproved land (absolutely no roads acerage in the Chihuahua desert) and will either report back my experience.... or disappear into oblivion and die of exposure... so you’ll know the results of this real test. ;>)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like a blast. When in southern Utah near Zion I rented a side by side and had a blast in the dessert. Can't wait to do it again.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds like a blast. When in southern Utah near Zion I rented a side by side and had a blast in the dessert. Can't wait to do it again.
H! Zion! What a memory for me and my wife.... recalling my “stoopidity” believing I could take our pickup/airstream combination up a steep mountain in the NW-corner of the park despite the warnings that trailers are “not recommended”. That narrow road got smaller and smaller until a turn-around was not possible.... As we approached the 11,000’ elevation my truck was running out of steam (smallest V8 Ram ever put into a truck..little 4.7Litre ...the last engine AMC designed before Chrysler acquired AMC) ... I made the mistake of coming to a stop when a road-rage jeepster forced himself around us. I had to use 4WD/LOW (granny-gear) to get moving again.
I finally admitted defeat but no place to turn-around and I sure wasn’t going to back-DOWN that 10-mile climb!
Fortunately came upon a little hillside house with a small approach to their drive I was able to pivot back-and-forth a few times within the boundaries of the cliff-side and the house and get pointed back downhill!
We’re laughing now 3 years later.... but at the time my wife surely thought we were going to die. :LOL:

• Haha

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahh yes. Sometimes mistakes are the stuff great memories are made from. Great story.
I've done Zion, The Arches and Cannonland. Can't wait to go back for more. Most beautiful area of the country I've ever seen.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahh yes. Sometimes mistakes are the stuff great memories are made from. Great story.
I've done Zion, The Arches and Cannonland. Can't wait to go back for more. Most beautiful area of the country I've ever seen.
If you're going back for more, I highly recommend Bryce Canyon. It's close to Zion. Here's a pic.
iu

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes. I saw signs for it but no time on that trip. Next time will see Bryce Canyon for sure.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, we hit Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Yellowstone, Glacier, Fossil Rim, Bannock, etc etc etc... on a 3-month trip pulling our little Bambi Airstream from Central Texas, thru N.M., Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Idaho, back down thru Grand Canyon, Chelly, Chaco-Canyon, PaloDuro, and back home. There’s not much we missed.... our dog couldn’t be happier when she saw us pull back into the yard after 3 months. (Paid a kid on the next ranch over to feed her while we were gone.).

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow. A trip of a lifetime. We also made it to Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon and a few more but did not make it to Glacier yet. Someday I'd love to make it way up north to see that and more of the northwest overall.

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
Indeed nice to see places..
Wife and I took a 5 weeks one summer, from East Texas to BC Canada. Over to Alberta .,
And back South , Saw everything going up and back that we could .Every mine tour. Every park. . No kids No pets. was great ..
Now were back to a week or so at a time, And those smelly little grand kids always wanna go with Nanna and PawPaw.
Not that I dont Love them too,, But... .,, , , ,,?