Toe in , or , toe out

Slaw32

I was reading the manual and when it comes to the toe in , it says the measurement on the front should be less than on the back slightly . My friend that is a service manager at a multiple line dealer , and he says everything they set up has a 1/2" toe out . Very similar to what my machine is set at . 64.00 question ,
Which one is right when it comes to a x 1100 c ????

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Service Managers are not always mechanically knowledgeable or talented as their job is primarily personnel and assignment duties. Having worked in a half dozen auto and motorcycle dealership shops first as a technician and later as service mgr, and as a mechanic and later a flight dept chief pilot, I saw first hand how the “peter principle” worked. I watched one of the most talented technicians at an aircraft shop advance from being their BEST repairman... until he was rewarded for his good work...by promoting him to manager. In One Fell Swoop.... they lost their Best Mechanic and got their Worst Manager! The shop went out of business over his mismanagement of that facility. (In his case you’d have thought he’d know all about how to make a repair ...but in his new position he forgot his best talents. After 3 months chasing down a de-icing fluid leak he consistently argued with me that a check valve could NOT be the source as there was NO CHECK VALVE in that system. I thought I’d gone nuts because I was certain I’d been taught during ground school on that airplane there was a check-valve. A few months later I was researching the maintenance records/logbooks of that airplane and came across an entry made 6 years previously... where the check valve had been replaced due to a leak. That work was performed by and the signature ON that entry WAS the SAME man!

Toe Out leads to squirrelly handling. Slight Toe IN is what most vehicles (Including the RTVs) specify.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Service Managers are not always mechanically knowledgeable or talented as their job is primarily personnel and assignment duties. Having worked in a half dozen auto and motorcycle dealership shops first as a technician and later as service mgr, and as a mechanic and later a flight dept chief pilot, I saw first hand how the “peter principle” worked. I watched one of the most talented technicians at an aircraft shop advance from being their BEST repairman... until he was rewarded for his good work...by promoting him to manager. In One Fell Swoop.... they lost their Best Mechanic and got their Worst Manager! The shop went out of business over his mismanagement of that facility. (In his case you’d have thought he’d know all about how to make a repair ...but in his new position he forgot his best talents. After 3 months chasing down a de-icing fluid leak he consistently argued with me that a check valve could NOT be the source as there was NO CHECK VALVE in that system. I thought I’d gone nuts because I was certain I’d been taught during ground school on that airplane there was a check-valve. A few months later I was researching the maintenance records/logbooks of that airplane and came across an entry made 6 years previously... where the check valve had been replaced due to a leak. That work was performed by and the signature ON that entry WAS the SAME man!

Toe Out leads to squirrelly handling. Slight Toe IN is what most vehicles (Including the RTVs) specify.
how much toe in on the motor cycle???? wink

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
how much toe in on the motor cycle???? wink
If anyone had asked him that question he’d have had to ask someone else. LOL
That “Service Manager” had absolutely NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE in ANY type automotive/marine/sports maintenance shops. He was a former carpet salesman.

Attachments

• 1BA9BA8C-EA2F-40B4-9AF2-BE568C1511B8.jpeg
    1BA9BA8C-EA2F-40B4-9AF2-BE568C1511B8.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 3

Slaw32

Yeah , I don't know why , or how , but somebody had set the toe almost an inch out . Machine didn't feel right , like it was fighting itself . Much better now with about a 1/8" toe in .

FTG-05

I used to do DIY alignment on my 1985 rock crawler. I found taking the wheels and tires off and then clamping 2-3' of angle iron to the brake disc to be the most accurate. Far better and more accurate than trying to measure using a tire. Toed in about ~1/8"-3/16" or so.