Under seat insulation

Slaw32

Has anyone else checked service access that is under the seat storage tray on a x1100 ? I took out the tray , opened the access panel and,,,,, absolutely 0 insulation or any kind of noise barrier . Think I found out why it's so loud in an enclosed cab . I have some dynamat extreme and duraliner . With some time and some patience I hope to cover as much of the interior that I can get at . I have a noise meter app on my phone , don't know how accurate it is , I will take before , and some after readings and let you know . With 0 insulation , just a plastic panel under the seat I'm sure to make an improvement . Will keep you posted .

FTG-05

Check with your local car radio installer or similar type company. They have special sound insulation designed for vehicles. My next door neighbor at my old house used to do that sort of work as a hobby. He had all kinds of interesting stuff.

I wish I still had the roll of lead impregnated vinyl I bought from Boeing Surplus over 3 decades ago. That stuff worked great for suppressing noise.

And noise is one of the disadvantages of an RTV IMO.

Mork

I sealed up the under seat access panel with duct tape and sealed as much of the interior plastic around the area to control dust geting into the cab. As a bonus, it cut down on noise in the cab by at least half. I can now converse with the wife or listen to the radio.

Slaw32

Once I started , it was obvious that this is going to be a project . I basically stripped the interior completely down to bare metal . All metal panels and mounting areas were covered in dynamat extreme , then a layer of 1/2" dynaliner foam . A truly day and night difference . Only area left is the headliner . That will be a project for this weekend , doesn't sound like temps will be above zero day and night . Great time to find an inside project .

Westfield

Once I started , it was obvious that this is going to be a project . I basically stripped the interior completely down to bare metal . All metal panels and mounting areas were covered in dynamat extreme , then a layer of 1/2" dynaliner foam . A truly day and night difference . Only area left is the headliner . That will be a project for this weekend , doesn't sound like temps will be above zero day and night . Great time to find an inside project .
Slaw32 could you post some pics as you go? I would like to see how this is done.

Slaw32

I should have taken more pictures , sorry about that , was more interested in results . I did take some of the headliner and floor during the process . Was a lot of fun . I know the vehicle a lot better now . There is an area in the middle of the machine under the seat and down the front to the floor that needed the most attention as there was no insulation under the seat inspection plate and poor insulation on the vertical panel between and under the seats . I did however put dynamat extreme on all metal panels . I put dynaliner over the top of that where space allowed . Waiting now for new speakers and paint for the headliner . IMG_20210213_085719242.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210212_115435898.jpg
    IMG_20210212_115435898.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210212_115246681.jpg
    IMG_20210212_115246681.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210212_115143319.jpg
    IMG_20210212_115143319.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210213_073934568.jpg
    IMG_20210213_073934568.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210213_085713008.jpg
    IMG_20210213_085713008.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38

Mork

I should have taken more pictures , sorry about that , was more interested in results . I did take some of the headliner and floor during the process . Was a lot of fun . I know the vehicle a lot better now . There is an area in the middle of the machine under the seat and down the front to the floor that needed the most attention as there was no insulation under the seat inspection plate and poor insulation on the vertical panel between and under the seats . I did however put dynamat extreme on all metal panels . I put dynaliner over the top of that where space allowed . Waiting now for new speakers and paint for the headliner . View attachment 12822
And even done this in your kitchen! ;-)

Westfield

I should have taken more pictures , sorry about that , was more interested in results . I did take some of the headliner and floor during the process . Was a lot of fun . I know the vehicle a lot better now . There is an area in the middle of the machine under the seat and down the front to the floor that needed the most attention as there was no insulation under the seat inspection plate and poor insulation on the vertical panel between and under the seats . I did however put dynamat extreme on all metal panels . I put dynaliner over the top of that where space allowed . Waiting now for new speakers and paint for the headliner . View attachment 12822
You must have some patience that looks like a lot of work! You sure look like that you know what you're doing. Could you take a pic of that compartment underneath the seats? I think I would like to insulate that, but I'd like to see how it's done first. Nice job!

Slaw32

This area under the seat has no insulation or sound barrier . I used dynamat extreme to cover area then a layer of dynaliner over that . Much more better .

Attachments

• IMG_20210214_095158132.jpg
    IMG_20210214_095158132.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32

Westfield

This area under the seat has no insulation or sound barrier . I used dynamat extreme to cover area then a layer of dynaliner over that . Much more better .
Thanks for the pic. So by insulating you lose that storage space under the seat is that correct? Or is the storage under the insulation.

Slaw32

No , storage tray still fits . The access plate I insulated is under that . With a careful fitting and cutting I was able to insulate the access cover and still be able to remove it for service .

Attachments

• IMG_20210214_103316629.jpg
    IMG_20210214_103316629.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24

Westfield

No , storage tray still fits . The access plate I insulated is under that . With a careful fitting and cutting I was able to insulate the access cover and still be able to remove it for service .
come spring I'm definitely going to do that. Already have bad hearing don't want to make it worse. Thanks again Slaw32

Semper-Fi

I am a little confused. Did you apply the dynamat under the access plate, or under the storage tray. or where. Got any picts of the application?

Slaw32

This is the only area that I did that is exposed inside the cab . I first removed the metal brace on the panel , then I replaced the panel , then I laid the dynamat down covering the top of the panel and about 2" around it . I then cut the dynamat at the seam so cover can still be removed for service . With cover removed , I covered over the dynamat with the dynaliner . Then I notched around metal brace attachment points and bolted it back on the panel . Then I applied dynaliner around the panel covering the dynamat .
I recommend you look into this product , it doesn't take very much if you are just covering this area . It makes a huge difference as this panel sits almost over the front part of the motor and directly over the oil cooler radiator , and there is no insulation in this area .

ItBmine

Good job Slaw32. When I first got into an RTV, that was the very first thing I yelled over to my wife.....this thing is horribly noisy!! And the brochure brags about how quiet the factory cab is??? LOL

I love the RTV, but they need to make it quieter inside, and I'd like to see a 30 MPH top speed.

Slaw32

Can't help with the top speed , but this insulation process helps tremendously . Still have a couple of rattles at different rpm's . I suspect its the two skid plates on the under side . Gonna start over with new ones and will use my dynamat cutoffs to make sure no metal to metal contact and see if that isn't the source of the rattles I hear , now that the cab is so quiet .

ItBmine

I'm gunna end up buying one. Been going back and forth and putting it off, but went to start my Sportsman 500 H.O. today in the unheated shed and the oil tank blew up like a bomb. Vent must have froze and it never did that in the 8 straight years it was my only source of snow removal.

And it's my good one! The newer Sportsman 570 is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned.

So no more "toys" Time for a real machine.

Attachments

• received_480200126474785.jpeg
    received_480200126474785.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 21

Slaw32

Well , I don't know why , but Kubota has the speakers mounted under an area that has a 1" difference in height from the front to back . It Was going to be difficult to make the grill covers sit flush over an uneven surface ,,,,, so I tried some good old American ingenuity and was able to find some black PVC plumbing fittings and with a sharpie and a jigsaw , I got this . Still waiting for speakers , they got snowbound somewhere in Kentucky , they should be here tomorrow . Then I will take some pictures of the finished product .

Attachments

• IMG_20210216_083311493.jpg
    IMG_20210216_083311493.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210216_083321948.jpg
    IMG_20210216_083321948.jpg
    942.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210216_084254451.jpg
    IMG_20210216_084254451.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15

Semper-Fi

This is the only area that I did that is exposed inside the cab . I first removed the metal brace on the panel , then I replaced the panel , then I laid the dynamat down covering the top of the panel and about 2" around it . I then cut the dynamat at the seam so cover can still be removed for service . With cover removed , I covered over the dynamat with the dynaliner . Then I notched around metal brace attachment points and bolted it back on the panel . Then I applied dynaliner around the panel covering the dynamat .
I recommend you look into this product , it doesn't take very much if you are just covering this area . It makes a huge difference as this panel sits almost over the front part of the motor and directly over the oil cooler radiator , and there is no insulation in this area .
Can you show a picture of the finished "floor insulation" on your RTV? I am still not clear where you start and stop the insulation. Thanks.

razerface

Has anyone else checked service access that is under the seat storage tray on a x1100 ? I took out the tray , opened the access panel and,,,,, absolutely 0 insulation or any kind of noise barrier . Think I found out why it's so loud in an enclosed cab . I have some dynamat extreme and duraliner . With some time and some patience I hope to cover as much of the interior that I can get at . I have a noise meter app on my phone , don't know how accurate it is , I will take before , and some after readings and let you know . With 0 insulation , just a plastic panel under the seat I'm sure to make an improvement . Will keep you posted .
I drilled holes in my plastic tray and shot it full of foam. It helped.