What have you broken?

Mith

Reading about how good peoples tractors are is nice, but breakages make for good reading too (well, not for the author) :D

What have you broken? Was it error, wear and tear, or a defect with the tractor.

I break my stuff all the time, but thats because I use it for stuff that it is really too small to handle, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Anyone?

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Ran over a stump with the DK my first season with it. Tore the hydraulic filter off and the radiator drain line. Had to replace the filter, 1 swedgelock, tighten another and trim/re-clamped the drain line plus add new fluids.

So far so good, knock on wood!!!

ghautz

Got too rambunctious once while digging with the loader on my little Yanmar. Stripped the splines on the shaft into the transmission. Hired a local mechanic to do the repair. Replaced the clutch, throw out bearing and pilot bearing while it was split. That was a relatively expensive lesson. After that, I don't push it so hard.

The engine is supposedly about 18hp. I was surprised to see how small the input shaft to the transmission is, less than 3/4" diameter, as I recall. I would have expected something beefier.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What have you broken? Was it error, wear and tear, or a defect with the tractor.

Error, I just didn't see it

When I was in college I impaled a batwing bush hog on a piece of heavy oilfield drill stem. Stopped a JD 4020 dead in its tracks and I landed on the hood beside the exhaust stack. BIG hole in the deck and the lower shaft sheared off the gearbox.

:shitHitsFan:

Jim

Mith

BD, did you dmamage the hydraulic filter mount when you tore it off? That could be a pretty expensive repair. Heck, I bet losing a filter and all the fluid was expensive anyway.

Ghautz, I beleive smaller car axles arent too much bigger than that, and think of the power they take, 50+.....
Cant imagine the splines were very deep on a 3/4" dia shaft though.... Bummer.

:D Jim, you sure know how to do things properly!