What is the real story with HST oil change x1100c

JasonN

I’ve always heard that the HST oil and filters needs changed at 50 hours. I’m at 265 right now and pulled out my manual. It states that the filters need changed at 50 hours and then 200 but the oil is good for 400. Is this right? My Kubota L4600 operators manual says the same thing. Also the hydraulic tank oil must be replaced every 200 hours. I used my Dump bed about a dozen times. Other than power steering, what else is hydraulic? One last thing is I’ve read where changing the hst filters causes the oil level in the hydraulic tank to lower but not the transmission.

I’m thinking I’m just going to change all fluids and filters and be done with it.

Reactions: Doc

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The genuine oem filters are supposed to be fine micron catchers . so evidently catch "stuff" well as it passes thru. That's probably why they say just filters. You will loose some oil when doing the filter change so have extra on hand. I used to change my sudt 2 and filters at higher hours than recommended and do it all at the same time. Now it was probably a waste of money - the oil was so clear that it was hard to see on the dipstick.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
as a bit of friendly advice. use only kubota fluid and filters. change oil and filters in the hst at least every year unless you reach the hour threshold then change more often. i have seen examples of machines that have very few hours on them but the hst is trashed. machines that get started and run a few minutes or never really get hot need more frequent change intervals.

JasonN

That’s the way mine is used. Lots of starts and stops and used a few minutes at a time. I’m just going to change all the fluids and filters regardless of what the manual says.

Tsunamibob

The way my local Kubota dealer explained it to me was the transmission (behind the engine) is an enclosed system. It only operates the low/high and reverse. The tank under the seat is for the power steering, bed lift and the hydrostatic transmission (speed). Both take the UDT-2 fluid

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
your rtv has a gear transmission driven by a hydrostat that is driven by an engine. the oil is the same except for the engine. the hst and gearbox oil should be changed at the same interval but the fill and drain points are different and the two components of the transmission do not share oil supply.

Semper-Fi

I have the latest? (35 hours) on my 2020 RTV X1100C. I agree with you Jason. I will change all the trans. filters & all oil at my 50 hour change. I been looking thru the X1100C, WSM, regarding "Transmission section: page 2-M4 Oil flow traveling side" & "Hydraulic System section: page 7-M2" hydraulic circuit. Near as i can understand, page 7-M2 shows both systems sharing the hydraulic Oil Tank. The suction filter pulls oil out of the oil tank, delivers it to the (engine driven) charge pump, which feeds oil (thru the trans filter) then on to the transmission ,eventually back to the oil tank. Creating the hydraulic circuit. In the larger scheme of things. Oil, is cheaper than tearing apart a transmission.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
seems to be confusion. hst oil is recommended to be changed after first 50 hours break in. and then there after the interval changes. one detail that gets many an hst in the shop it those units that take years to accumulate the hours necessary for an oil change. kubota has done us a disfavor by not being more clear about this. always change the oil and filters on your hst yearly at the very least.