Whatta ya throw paint with?

For the painters here, both Pro grade and us hack amatures, what sort of paint guns do you use?

I've got a couple Home Depot "Huskee" HVLP gun for primer and for dumping cheap alkyd enamel on old implements, a Sharpe Platinum HVLP for finish work where looks count, and a Binks touch-up gun, model unknown. Also have a Pasche air brush. Got an old Binks #7 hanging in the shop too. I quit using siphon guns 2 minutes after the first experience with gravity feed HVLP guns. They are all that and a bag of chips for amatures.

JDA 3020

I have three guns. I have a old Devilbiss siphon type that is "retired" a Matco HVLP ( $150.00 ish) and a Devilbiss HVLP (around $400.00) I use the Matco for primer and to apply wood finishes and the Devilbiss for spraying top coat/clear coat.

Mith

At the moment a brush, but I'm interested in upgrading, I'll be watching with interest.

I'd be interested in details of the compressor any of you guys using with air powered guns.

JDA 3020

I'd be interested in details of the compressor any of you guys using with air powered guns.

I have a 60 gallon compressor I bought at TSC with a in-line air dryer (the type that uses a toilet paper roll looking filter) it isn't the best and is the weak link in my system. If I was painting more I would get a much better air dryer system. We have painted several cars (classic muscle cars and a 10 second drag car) and a number of tractors this way and it gives good results although I am always watching for water droplets.

B

bczoom

My preference is a Tippman 98 for normal sized jobs but when you add a Phantom Thunder, you can handle larger areas much more quickly.

Mrs. Zoom does most of the painting and she likes her Sears Paint-stick.

Mark777

I have two Sharpes, two Sata's, one Huskee, one I/R..another Sata 'Mini Jet' (detail gun) and some others I forget their name (all are HVLP). I'm also plumbed with a 7 1/2 horse I/R with 80 gal tank and a 5 horse Porter Cable with 60 gal tank. Both vertical tanks are plumbed together for a 140 gallon volume.

Ductape

My preference is a Tippman 98 for normal sized jobs but when you add a Phantom Thunder, you can handle larger areas much more quickly.

Mrs. Zoom does most of the painting and she likes her Sears Paint-stick.

Now its been a couple years, but isn't a Tippman 98 a a paintball gun ??

B

bczoom

Now its been a couple years, but isn't a Tippman 98 a a paintball gun ??
You got it! :thumb: And Phantom Thunder is a paintball grenade launcher.

The subject is "Whatta ya throw paint with?" and the question was "what sort of paint guns do you use?"

I thought my answer was correct. :mrgreen: ;)

olcowhand

Just have two guns from harbor Freight, std siphon & an HVLP. Both spray perfectly. Can't see spending more when these do so good. Just started using the HVLP last year. A bit to get used to, but much better when ya get dialed in on them. Haven't used the siphon since.

Mark777

I have a Divelibus HVLP. I bought it at a pawnshop it is almost new works well and was dirt cheap.

What a find!

It's not very often you read in a single sentence 'Devilbiss and dirt cheap'. Like Binks, Devilbiss was on the ground floor with their design and maufacturing...It wasn't until their patents expired when all the newer and foregin guns appeared in the U.S.

Ductape

You got it! :thumb: And Phantom Thunder is a paintball grenade launcher.

The subject is "Whatta ya throw paint with?" and the question was "what sort of paint guns do you use?"

I thought my answer was correct. :mrgreen: ;)

Touche' !! I had an angel when i was shootin paint. Talk about an adrenaline rush !!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What is the big deal with the new gravity fed guns? Are there advantages to those type of guns? I have an old Kohler but haven't used it for ages.

shinnlinger

Doc,

With a gravity feed most of your paint goes on what your painting....with a siphon most of the paint goes in the air...I hear that siphon guns are illegal to even have in your shop, let alone use in California

Mark777

Doc, Shinnlinger kind of nailed it.

There are big differences between a gravity feed gun and a HVLP (high volume low pressure) gun. Both can be gravity fed which mean (simply) the cup is on the top of the gun body.

I apologize in advance for all the silly abbreviations and acronyms that developed in California where this two part history started.

GUNS:
(newer HVLP guns have a transfer efficiency to 80% vs. **siphon fed guns at 30-35%)

I’ll try and make this brief IF I can. In the late 70’s and early 80’s OSHA and CARB (California Air Resources Board) mandated that all paint guns produce less VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds) which was roughly 65% of unusable over-spray and 35% of actual paint chemistry applied to the subject surface. In the process new guns were designed and manufactured as a cure all to counter the high levels of the VOC’s and only a few actually worked…and many others were dismal failures. Most painters did not reform and kept (hidden) using their trusty siphon guns. But alas the war ended soon after OSHA teams were selected and visited plants, industries and body shops (like my own). Paint storage areas, mixing rooms, paint equipment (guns) and spray booths were inspected and you either passed or failed. If you failed you had 180 days to meet conformity or you lost your business license. I passed in 91 days at a great and unexpected expense.

PPE:
(personal protective equipment)

Painters were dieing, some from long term systemic effects from isocyanides poisining and some actually died in their spray booths from respiratory failure. Soon after(but not soon enough), Gloves, full faced respirators, Tyvec suits and fresh air supplied masks-hoods were introduced to meet and combat all the deadly toxins associated with the newer paints.

**As Shinnlinger stated…siphon guns are illegal to use for painting or have on your inventory of shop tools. In some instances businesses like upholstery and furniture shops can use siphon guns for spraying low VOC’s adhesives…but you still can’t legally buy one in the state of CA.

quincy

I have a devilbliss siphon gun and never really had a problem with it. I have a 50ltr 2 stage compressor and another 2 single stage 10 ltr compressors. I have them all connected together which effectively gives me a 70ltr 4 stage supply. Have a 2stage dessicant filter set. I dont paint cars, i use it mainly to spray kitchen cabinets, radiator covers. built ins etc... works for me. Havent used a HVLP but I might get one and give it a try based on what you guys are saying.
Mith, the 10ltr single stage compressors were a B&Q special and worth their weight in gold.