X Series Plastic Bed Side Panel Removal

TechJunkie

Does anyone have a how-to on removing the plastic side panel on the bed of the X-Series RTV? It probably isn't too difficult, however, I would prefer to not learn the hard way and damage the panel if at all possible. I took delivery of my new X1140 and everything is great except when dumping the bed when in single row configuration, the back side panel on the drivers side gets a terrible vibration to it and it is just annoying. I would like to remove it, inspect and reinstall to see if I can get it to stop. Just touching it makes it stop so I assume it has something to do with how it is sitting inside the channels. It is like a little drum vibrating. This only happens when the bed is in dump mode and only this one panel. Any help to be sure I don't damage it during removal would be appreciated.

tfdr1

I know the X900 sides have a plastic push type rivet on the bottom and you just pry them out and the panel just comes out bottom first at top it hooked on a channel.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
You can pull the plastic pins, but it is easy to just pry up at each of the “dents” and lift the side over the plastic pin that is just to the right of each “dent”. Using a plastic lever is best. The panels flex enough so you can work each one separately. When the panel is released at each of the four pins you rotate the bottom up and the top curve come out. Takes just minute. Good luck

TechJunkie

Thank you for the replies. I don't seem to have plastic pins on the side panels of my X1140. It appears the panels bend in and both the top and bottom are in channels. At least that is how it looks. The tail gate does have the plastic push trim pins. I will keep looking. If all else fails I will check with the Dealer. I have plastic trim tools so either way I should be able to remove it. Loving it so far!

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I have never seen a X1140, but it would seem that they would be the same as the other X RTV's. The pins on my X1100C come up from the bottom and are coated with the spay bed liner and would be very difficult to remove without damaging them and the good seal of the bed liner. The top edge of the plastic panel is in fact curved and curls up into the top cavity under the side rail. The bottom edge does sit in a channel and the "pins" just locate it. I'm guessing that the "dents" in the plastic on the bottom edge are there so a trim tool can be inserted easily in the correct spot. I should have taken more pictures, but these might give you a better idea. The coating of the bed liner is beautifully done everywhere - no wonder my 7 year-old X900 had absolutely no rust!

Attachments

• IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13

TechJunkie

I have never seen a X1140, but it would seem that they would be the same as the other X RTV's. The pins on my X1100C come up from the bottom and are coated with the spay bed liner and would be very difficult to remove without damaging them and the good seal of the bed liner. The top edge of the plastic panel is in fact curved and curls up into the top cavity under the side rail. The bottom edge does sit in a channel and the "pins" just locate it. I'm guessing that the "dents" in the plastic on the bottom edge are there so a trim tool can be inserted easily in the correct spot. I should have taken more pictures, but these might give you a better idea. The coating of the bed liner is beautifully done everywhere - no wonder my 7 year-old X900 had absolutely no rust!
Thank you. I will look under there. I really appreciate the help.