RTV & Tires

retiredatlast

Thanks for the reply. Been out of touch for a couple of weeks so just getting back on the computer. I had already researched and ordered tires by the time I read your message. I ended up going with the ITP Black Water Evolution, 26 inchers all around. Factory says they are rated at 1430 # at 34 psi. Unfortunately they cost dearly, 150 a tire, shipping,tax and mounted. So far I've been reallyhappy with them, hauled 200gallons water (1600 #) and they didn't even squat. Now is when I get my firewood for next year so I've been cutting all last week. I've been in snow and mud and I'm pretty happy with their performance and it added about 2 inches over the stock tires which really squated when loaded. The 11s on front leave only about 1 1/2 in between strut but we don't have the caking mud like some of the others down south. I do feel the wider tire on front has added to stability when loaded.

retiredatlast

two guns,

Yup, 11s all around. I wanted 12s in back and 10s on front like original equip but Black Waters didn't come in that combo so I went with the 11s. I travel a lot of hills where I get my wood so anything that makes me feel better when loaded is good!!! Lots of times I have to go up a muddy trail because I can't get up the steep part, load up and then come down the straightest way I can. They ride a little rough on the hard pack but I didn't buy the RTV for the ride. Once I get my wood up I'll drop the air pressure and see how the ride.

rtv900tas

speed difference betwen 25"TO 27" TYRES

Hello.
Can anyone tell me the difference in speed, when going from 25" TO 27"?
Plus are there any adverse affects to performance?
Thanks

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Hello.
Can anyone tell me the difference in speed, when going from 25" TO 27"?
Plus are there any adverse affects to performance?
Thanks

No enough difference as far as speed.

Now, the effect of performance. YOU WILL LOOSE POWER WITH
LARGER TIRES. That is on anything you install them on !!!!

Plus, the 27" will ruff at times in the right position.

I know, I own 27 inchers. My advise, don't get over 25 or 26 inch.

Your RTV will go just as far with them as the 27".

........... two guns

Mark.Sibole

General rule of thumb for all tires on all things smaller tires more speed and takeoffs will be faster less ground clearance taller tires less take off speed till the machine gets going eventually you pick your speed back up over a distance.More ground clearance but less torque.You gain so little on the tire size it isnt worth it IMO.

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
new Tires for 1100

hey all you u.s.a rtv owners
have look at my new tires there called fury crawler HD 8ply 26x11-12 made in china thay are a really good tires cheap too .
there a small 26 inch tire that sits bit over the original 25 inch plus being 8 ply is bonus you even get them 12 ply as well!!
you see them at www.austraco..com.au
Must be dealer in U.S.A some where
here some pics of them

Attachments

• WP_000203.jpg
    WP_000203.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 334
  • WP_000202.jpg
    WP_000202.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 333
  • P1120592.jpg
    P1120592.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 337

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
These tires look just like my Kenda Bounty Hunters - see previous post's and pics.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice looking tires. I bet they'll eat up the mud with no problem. :thumb:

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
Look at the two tire images and tell me if this mismatch on the back might cause me to feel a little wander in the back of the vehicle when going at, say, 20 mph. One is a Carlisle "Mud Wolf", 25x11-12 and the other is a Carlisle AT489, 25x11-12.

Attachments

• LR tire carlisle mud wolf.jpg
    LR tire carlisle mud wolf.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 257
  • RR tire carlisle AT489.jpg
    RR tire carlisle AT489.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 257

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
Thanks, Two Guns, but already on the front are two "Xtra Tuff Mud Max" 25x10-12. I can't put one of them on the back, right? Oh, and I deny any part in choosing these tires. : ) They were on it when I bought it a couple of weeks ago. All 4 are like new. Don't know how they came to have an odd set like this. The rims are bent too, around the edges like someone mounted the tires themselves or something.

My 2006 RTV 900 still has the original tires on it, with less than 700 hours on them.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That is a big difference in tire track area that touches the ground between the two.Even though they are labeled as the same size, I wonder if the height isn't a bit different? I looked at this type with the ag tread but decided that I would wear them out too quick with such spacing on the tread.I have the "blackwater evolutions" for the wet seasons. I would check my bearings if it were me by just jacking up the rear and giving the tires a tug. Good luck with it and keep us informed. bordercollie

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
Bordercollie, I already did just what you suggest -- I jacked up the the rear and tried to see if there was any play in the bearings in the back but none there. Sometimes I think the wander is just my imagination but other times I'm sure a feel it a little. You know, I haven't checked the air pressure in the dern tires now that I think about it. I better do that.

I saw somewhere that they recommend only like 8 psi or something? What tire pressure do y'all run?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I run about 18 psi (running Maxxis Bighorns). At 8 psi, they would probably look like they're flat.

There's a plate on the back side of the ROPS. I believe that's where they list the OEM tire pressures.

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
Okay now here is some interesting information about tire pressure on mine:

1. The AT489 tire has clearly written on the sidewall, "Max. Infl. 7 P.S.I." Weird.
2. The OEM label below the ROPS cert on the vehicle recommends 20 psi
3. I actually have 21 psi in the AT489 and 12 psi in Mud Max (maybe the previous owner was dyslexic).
4. I think y'all have led me to my problem. Duh, I should have checked that first. The mud max is just low.

I usually jump to the most complicated solution when the simple is often the best. I am going to go with your 18 psi, bczoom. To be novel, I think I'll put 18 psi in BOTH rears tires! : )

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
I guess I'm having a conversation with myself but I just thought (rare for me) -- I need to get new rims anyhow so I think I'll bite the bullet and buy one tire so that I have matching tires on the rear. Between the two (Mud WOLF and AT489) which one might y'all think I should match to? Or should I just keep both of them as spares and get a couple of Bighorns?