2011 RTV 900 XT U-joints Replaced

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Hi All,

You may recall my displeasure in premature u-joint degradation. Well, yesterday I started replacement of the four rear u-joints. Only the inner joints showed signs of wear, to the point of the cups were missing pieces. The outer u-joints were in good shape, but I replaced them anyway.

The sealant applied to the inner shaft bearing and seal retainer flange presented much difficulty in removing the retainer. Like Border Collie stated previously, use a sharp putty knife or in my case, a gasket scraper and hammer.

Although I've replaced several u-joints in the past, this was my first using a hydraulic press. The press is an improvement over using a vise, but found that the vise was mush better for starting the new cups into the yoke. It was just better for correcting a cocked cup versus the press.

I found removal of the leaf springs to be beneficial when installing the cumbersome bumper/u-joint arrangement. I will remove the springs prior to removing the bumper on my next go-round.

I found that the boot clamps can be reused by carefully tensioning the clamps to remove some of the bend in the loop from the original installation. I also found that a bow string nock pliers was somewhat good for compression the loop on the clamp. It's nose fit perfect; however, the short handles requires a good grip.

Another learning was during the installation of the u-bolts that connect the leaf springs to the shock mount to the bumper. Install the rear u-bolt first, but first make sure that the bumper is close to level. The back u-bolt installation is hindered by the shaft boot. Installing the back u-bolt allows you to move the bump towards the rear giving needed room to install the u-bolt.

I'm getting slower with age, yet very thorough. Approximately 2 days for this old guy with computer hands. Boy, they sure do hurt right now.

My big mistake was trusting the local Kubota junior parts guy to get me the appropriate amount of transmission and engine oil. He sold me the wrong amount for each. Another trip to the Kubota dealer tomorrow to get more trans oil. That infuriates me making the 60 mile round trip.

God Bless,

Philip

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
I left out a major lessons learned. The male and female splined shalves that mate together were matched marked with paint marker for alignment of the splines. Apparently the degreaser removed some of the paint marks. I could not identify the male splines that mated with the obvious female splines.

Lessons Learned - Place punch marks at the painted match marks prior to degreasing. What a painful lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Excellent ideas thanks to your experience. I especially like the use of punch marks along with the painted marks used in the reassembly process.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good job Pepr . Thank you for the added information. That oil / filter capacity is similar to the lesson I learned years ago about trusting what dealers say- "never trust nobody." ( from talk radio when I used to listen to it..).. They will also sell you the wrong filters so just save the box ends and take them with ya to the parts counter. I did that one time and got a Kubota hat. :)
I hope next time is a long way off for you. and me . collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
No, not yet. I keep an eye on the slack. I am going to do the deed soon though. Finally got the bull and reg cow sale over. Now today and until the soybeans come up, I will be spraying pasture. I just got back from Ark yesterday evening. Still a wad of work to do. I think I am getting old...... collie

Fitch

Hi All,

You may recall my displeasure in premature u-joint degradation. Well, yesterday I started replacement of the four rear u-joints. Only the inner joints showed signs of wear, to the point of the cups were missing pieces. The outer u-joints were in good shape, but I replaced them anyway.

The sealant applied to the inner shaft bearing and seal retainer flange presented much difficulty in removing the retainer. Like Border Collie stated previously, use a sharp putty knife or in my case, a gasket scraper and hammer.

Although I've replaced several u-joints in the past, this was my first using a hydraulic press. The press is an improvement over using a vise, but found that the vise was mush better for starting the new cups into the yoke. It was just better for correcting a cocked cup versus the press.

I found removal of the leaf springs to be beneficial when installing the cumbersome bumper/u-joint arrangement. I will remove the springs prior to removing the bumper on my next go-round.

I found that the boot clamps can be reused by carefully tensioning the clamps to remove some of the bend in the loop from the original installation. I also found that a bow string nock pliers was somewhat good for compression the loop on the clamp. It's nose fit perfect; however, the short handles requires a good grip.

Another learning was during the installation of the u-bolts that connect the leaf springs to the shock mount to the bumper. Install the rear u-bolt first, but first make sure that the bumper is close to level. The back u-bolt installation is hindered by the shaft boot. Installing the back u-bolt allows you to move the bump towards the rear giving needed room to install the u-bolt.

I'm getting slower with age, yet very thorough. Approximately 2 days for this old guy with computer hands. Boy, they sure do hurt right now.

My big mistake was trusting the local Kubota junior parts guy to get me the appropriate amount of transmission and engine oil. He sold me the wrong amount for each. Another trip to the Kubota dealer tomorrow to get more trans oil. That infuriates me making the 60 mile round trip.

God Bless,

Philip

Hi Philip,

My personal rule is never go to the dealer with out knowing what I need. I make notes from the service manual, print the relevant pages from the on-line parts books, and have the model and serial numbers of my Machinery (Kubota, John Deere, whatever) in the notes app on my iPhone.

Never trust a parts person that doesn't look it up. The good ones never guess.

Fitch

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Fitch, you are correct about knowing amounts etc, which I normally do; however, this time I was a faulty human.

And by the way, junior parts guy looked up the amount and wrote it down, but somehow got it mixed up later.

I picked on him a little on the second day. Seemed to have no concern about his mistake. Remember, junior parts guy. These days there doesn't seem to be much pride in doing a good job, for the younger folks. I suppose that's my generations fault for not raising them better; however, I'd put my three youngsters against any their age to test their pride in doing a great job! Yes, I'm a proud dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!