2012 mahindra 6530

Dead eye

My tractor smokes for 10 to 15 minutes in cold weather until it warms up. I know the problem is in the cold start solenoid. My question is there are two lines that go to the cold start solenoid and two mounting bolts. If I remove the lines and the mounting bolts. Is there anything special I have to look for to remove the solenoid valve? I do have 12 V coming to the cold start solenoid. Is there a diesel going through the two small lines? Could it be diesel gel?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My tractor smokes for 10 to 15 minutes in cold weather until it warms up. I know the problem is in the cold start solenoid.
IMHO, not sure if you have a problem. White smoke (unburned fuel) is very common for a diesel in cold weather. Once the engine warms up, it then fully burns it. My JD tractor has been like that since new.

Dead eye

IMHO, not sure if you have a problem. White smoke (unburned fuel) is very common for a diesel in cold weather. Once the engine warms up, it then fully burns it. My JD tractor has been like that since new.
It didn’t start smoking like that until the temperature got down to 18°. The cold starts solenoid is supposed to stop it from doing that. I still think the problem is in the cold start solenoid but I don’t wanna remove it unless I know what’s behind it, and what is going through the two lines that attached to it. The cold starts solenoid advances the timing slightly until the engine warms up.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry, can't help on the solenoid. :( 18 degrees is a hard start for many diesel engines. My JD will not like starting, my Kubota hates it even more.
I live in the north. 18 degrees is somewhat common and we get temps down to 20 below zero at times.
Up here, we use block heaters (and even put the heaters on the tranny of HST machines). They're relatively cheap. Might be an option for you if you find the solenoid path leads you down an expensive road.

Dead eye

Thanks anyway. I don’t have any problem starting it I have glow plugs. It’s just that it smokes for about 10 or 15 min minutes until the engine warms up. I know replacing the cool start solenoid would probably fix the problem. I’m reluctant to do it without knowing, what knowing what the complications might be.

Fedup

There are at least two different injection pumps used on the 6530. Maybe more. Which one you have will have a bearing on just what cold start system you're dealing with. Is your tractor a tier 2 or tier 3?

Dead eye

There are at least two different injection pumps used on the 6530. Maybe more. Which one you have will have a bearing on just what cold start system you're dealing with. Is your tractor a tier 2 or tier 3?
I have a VE pump I don’t know the tier.

Fedup

Many of the tier 2 and tier 3 engines use a version of the VE pump. I'm not sure which one you have. Does it have what appears to be a fuel shut off solenoid on the left side of the pump (right out in the open) and angled slightly up hill? Or does it have a larger unit farther back mounted horizontally with a wire attached?

If you have the one with a solenoid on an angle, try this. Remove the wire from that solenoid and secure it where it won't ground out. Then start the engine and see what difference that makes in how it runs.

The cold start advance is commonly misunderstood on many of these tractors. It is often confused with a cold starting aid, which it is not. It is merely a mechanism designed to advance the timing slightly when the engine is cold for emissions purposes only. It has no other effect or benefit. On most Mahindra tractors power is supplied to the solenoid via a timer somewhere that shuts off after about twenty minutes or so. Sometimes if the pump static timing is slightly off by even a few degrees it can make a noticeable difference in how the engine runs, smokes, and performs. Whenever I come across symptoms like yours I like to look into the timing possibility as a source. If adding or removing power from that solenoid makes a difference then the pump timing comes into question.

Dead eye

Many of the tier 2 and tier 3 engines use a version of the VE pump. I'm not sure which one you have. Does it have what appears to be a fuel shut off solenoid on the left side of the pump (right out in the open) and angled slightly up hill? Or does it have a larger unit farther back mounted horizontally with a wire attached?

If you have the one with a solenoid on an angle, try this. Remove the wire from that solenoid and secure it where it won't ground out. Then start the engine and see what difference that makes in how it runs.

The cold start advance is commonly misunderstood on many of these tractors. It is often confused with a cold starting aid, which it is not. It is merely a mechanism designed to advance the timing slightly when the engine is cold for emissions purposes only. It has no other effect or benefit. On most Mahindra tractors power is supplied to the solenoid via a timer somewhere that shuts off after about twenty minutes or so. Sometimes if the pump static timing is slightly off by even a few degrees it can make a noticeable difference in how the engine runs, smokes, and performs. Whenever I come across symptoms like yours I like to look into the timing possibility as a source. If adding or removing power from that solenoid makes a difference then the pump timing comes into question.
My pump is a Bosch VE three. The cold start solenoid is mounted on the side at an angle with one wire attached. I checked the voltage to the solenoid with the switch on and read 12 V does not make any difference with the wire hooked up or not. This morning the temperature here was 60° I ran the Tractor for a while, it smoked very little when I started it and ran perfect. . there are two small small tubes hooked to the top of the cold start solenoid. It’s mounded on the side of the fuel injection pump with two torx head bolts. I would like to remove it and clean it and see if I can find anything wrong with it. But I’m reluctant because I don’t know what’s hooked onto it when I remove it.

Fedup

It's your choice to start taking things apart. Do whatever you like. Personally, from what I know of the pumps if the wire on or off makes no difference then there's most likely nothing going on in there that's part of your problem. Just be aware that every one of those pumps I've sent off for repair came back with a bill for over $2000. One was just under $3500.

Dead eye

I do not intend to take anything apart unless I know exactly what’s coming. I don’t have to repair the cold start valve. It will work perfectly In the summertime. in the cold winter. I will just have to let it warm up before I use the tractor. I guess I’m just curious to figure out what’s wrong with the cold start valve. There is a fuel injection repair company near here that I think will give me the answer. I’m looking for.. Thank you.

Dead eye

It's your choice to start taking things apart. Do whatever you like. Personally, from what I know of the pumps if the wire on or off makes no difference then there's most likely nothing going on in there that's part of your problem. Just be aware that every one of those pumps I've sent off for repair came back with a bill for over $2000. One was just under $3500.
I do not intend to arbitrarily tear into an injection pump without knowing what’s coming. Actually I do not have to even repair it. In the summertime. It will work perfectly. In the wintertime. I’ll just have to let the engine warm up and then it’ll run fine. I guess I’m curious as to find out what’s wrong. There is a fuel injection company near here that I think will give me the answer. I’m looking for. I do appreciate your interest. Thank you. I will also probably buy me a service manual.