2WD 4WD lever binding

whatscookin

Gold Site Supporter
On a eariler post there was some discussion on the diff lock pedal and i stated that turning the steering wheel to make a S or swerve while driving would unload the driveline and the diff lock lever would release and that is how i discovered to easily move the 2WD 4WD in and out of engagement which leads me to believe that the front and rear differentials do not have the same ratios. I do believe that on some if not most 4WD vehicles do that to make the ft pull more instead of being pushed. I was at a motorcycle shop that i go to recently and they had a small Kubota tractor on the blacktop in 4WD and could not get it out of 4WD so i told them to turn the steering wheel while driving and it came out of 4WD easily.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I've been able to get mine in and out just by slowing down and speeding up. Apply a little pressure on the lever and it slips in or out with ease when you let off the throttle or speed up and let off. It's just releasing the tension.

Tire circumference should be the same front and back, with diff ratios being the same front and back, so everything runs smoothly.

To check, put a chalk mark on the center bottom of say your rear tire. Do the same for the front. Move the machine ahead until the rear tire mark is 1 revolution ahead and the mark is again at the bottom. Check the front tire and it's mark should be in the same place, at the bottom.

If the front is not, you could experience binding when in 4wd.

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
4-wheel drive

I believe you folks will find that almost all frount diffs. are just about 3percent faster than their rear units so that they will stear right. just my thoughts, check your manuals also tire rolling radious should be within 1.5 and up to 1 to 3 ratio but again check your manuals

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Are you guys saying that you DO NOT COME TO A STOP when switching from 4WD to 2WD????????.........Doesnt one STOP, put it in neutral, and then do the switching?????......hmmmmm guess I learn something every day.....Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I turn the wheel hard left and right- It has a label on my '05 machine that states this- works for me most all the time. I do this from a stopped position. Bordercollie

Onfoot

I have never attempted to shift between 4wd and 2wd except from a stop. Usually works fine, but sometimes need to do the Bordercollie wheeling...

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I always shift mine on the fly before it is needed. In other words while just motoring along. You can feel the pressure come off by slowing down or speeding up, hold a little pressure on the lever and it shifts as slick as anything.

But like all 4x4 2wd/4wd and dif locks never do that when stuck or spinning. You must go to neutral, engage and then drive.

Unless you have deep pockets and no where to spend it!

See this goes back to the days of standard transmissions and we would do anything to shift gears with out using the clutch. Trucks were difficult, cars not too bad and bikes a snap. And you don' hurt a thing if you do it "right". Do it wrong and it might be a little grinding. Keep it up and it might mean dollars.

But it this case the slowing down and speeding up is doing essentially the same thing as the clutch would do, relieving the pressure on the transmission. The gears themselves never stop spinning, it's just with no load on them they are allowed to engage each other easier.

Remember old straight cut gear transmissions were called 'crash boxes'.

I'm thinking we drive too many 'slush box transmissions' these days. Ladies car. Real men know how to shift gears.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
label on '05 RTV 900

I turn the wheel hard left and right- It has a label on my '05 machine that states this- works for me most all the time. I do this from a stopped position. Bordercollie

This is the label on my "05 machine. Shift only when stopped- it says. Bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF2932.JPG
    DSCF2932.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 140

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I usually stop mine on level ground and shift out or in. Sometimes I have to "blip" the throttle to unload the pressure. Kind of like shifting the trans sometimes. As for the diff lock I just apply pressure till it engages and again sometimes have to play with the throttle to get it to release. No different than tractors or trucks. If all else fails just reverse direction for a second.

whatscookin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow i just reread my orignal post and i didn't mead to say that i put it in 4WD while moving only take it out. I was hoping someone would correct me on the different ratios as i was told this by a guy i know that is pretty sharp but i found it hard to believe myself.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
+1 with ya Border Collie......I always stop and YES this ol guy knows how to do clutchless shifting, double shifting, and what the factory specifies......I am not an engineer nor do I have the money to "play" with stuff so I typically try to go by what the high dollar folks who designed these things advise...........

Anyway what works for me, yes always do it from a stop; tried the turning the wheels, blipping the throttle, and others posted there on the dash; but what ALWAYS works is to get on an incline and roll backwards or in reverse back up a few feet on an incline, stop, put it in neutral and it comes right out of 4WD.......Going into 4WD is typically NEVER a problem, it's the coming out.........Anyway works for me.....God bless......Dennis

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
WhatsCookin this is exactly what these forums are for. To bring out great discussions on any topic you want to bring up. Everyone has an opinion and it's great to hear each.

BorderCollie, the key word on that sticker is "FORCE". Don't force anything and no matter how you shift your machine you should not have any problems.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
In the first sentence it also states :"Shift the range gear shift lever (H-M-L-R) or 4 WD lever only when the vehicle is completely stopped." I'm going by that because that is there for a reason and I think a picture is worth a thousand... well.. dollars anyways. Bordercollie :3,687 hard working hours and counting.

Kanook

'VERY INTERESTING' as the little German soldier on Laugh In used to say...I just troddled out through the snow to the barn that the 900 calls home to check the warning label on mine as I was positive that this is the 1st time I had seen those words "DO NOT FORCE" ......in regards to this label.

Sure enough my 04 vintage unit does not include that warning at all but merely warns that shifting should only occur when at a complete stop...Guess good ole Kubota got tired of fixing those broken shifters under warranty...Too bad you folk with newer machines got blamed for 'operator error' 'cause you should have read the warning...I say too bad they didn't fix the problem on the newer units by engineering a better design.....PERIOD...
After all it is the 21st century and it's been 40 years since Mr Armstrong first set foot on the moon. My dads old super "C" farmal tractor circa 1955 shifted better..

FEEL MUCH BETTER NOW......LOVE MY BOTA'S

whatscookin

Gold Site Supporter
All this started with me wanting to take it out of 4WD after needing all wheels pulling without stopping and i found out if you just lay your hand on the lever and make a slight S curve while moving it drops out very easly. I have found so far that it doesn't need to be in 4WD very much it pulls great in 2WD so i like to get it out asap as i know even on a slippery surface the driveline is loading up so if i can do it without hurting anything or stopping all the better. I have been made fun of by some people as to the way i take care all my equipment\stuff,the same people that buy a new truck every few years, i like stuff to last and like i saw on a TV commercial, I like new stuff especially when it gets old.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I don't baby my equipment but I try not to abuse it too much. I always remember who the mechanic is who has to fix it!:bonk:

doggman

I slip ours out of 4WD just as it creeps to a stop - probaly in the last 3 feet of movement when the gears are unloaded. Same thing goes for the trans - sometimes. Turning the wheels never worked for us.
Spudhauler you gotta be an old dude to remember crash boxes - or had a Limey car with a non synchro 1st gear... Those straight cut gears are strong but they don't shift with a ($^#!