700 hour service on x1100

Am I the first to hit 700 hours? I had not looked at the list of what Kubota says should be replaced. Now I am astonished.

I had a few other issues (overheating issue) other then normal service (oil change, etc.) plus what's on the 700 hour list to be replaced.

$3700.00! what the heck!?! The overheating issue is $97, it's all the replacements Kubota says needs to be done at 700 hours. This is a heads up for everyone else.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
$3,700.00 Repair?

I am preparing to purchase an 1120 in the spring - hopefully a 2017.

Was $3,700 for a repair you had to do or the estimated cost of the 200 hour service?

700 hour service. The repairs were $97. Look very carefully at the manual for what has to be replaced on the machine at what hours. Mine is an older machine, but if I'd known the upkeep on it (not counting several thousand I've had to do in repairs) I wouldn't have bought it.

You know what you might do! Since you haven't purchased the machine yet, have the dealer take the manual and calculate for you each service, starting with the break in at 50 hours. But then have them do the major ones that you wouldn't do yourself. Skip just plain old oil changes unless you are going to ahve them do those too.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's awful Cornerstone .... The car dealership tried to "change " everything on my nieces honda. Well they were sure surprised when she told them how the cow eats the cabbage.. The wanted to charge $90 for an 8 dollar cabin air filter Theys also had an extreme charge for the engine air filter... we all know how easy those are to change. I was so proud of her - she knew how to do that because she really watched when I showed her .She is a good kid and grown up and still is . I think dealerships do the" stick it to em" routine pretty often. Even the Honda dealership only tried for $900 on her though.. I can't imagine what Kubota came up with for that $3700 price charge...scary.... That is a definite no no for me and a real turn off.. Geee..
That's a good idea about getting the dealer to do first service in the negotiation stage. collie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That does seem quite excessive. What types of things is it saying needs done?

I'm looking at my service items for my 900 and the only items are fluids/filters and checks up to the 800 hour at which point it talks about adjusting valve clearance.

There's a section for EVERY 2 YEARS but I wouldn't (and haven't) done those. My RTV is 12 years old and I'll be damned if I'm going to replace all the hoses and the innards of the master cylinder every 2 years. I haven't replaced any of those things in 12 years...

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

I'm looking at my service items for my 900 and the only items are fluids/filters and checks up to the 800 hour at which point it talks about adjusting valve clearance.

There's a section for EVERY 2 YEARS but I wouldn't (and haven't) done those. My RTV is 12 years old and I'll be damned if I'm going to replace all the hoses and the innards of the master cylinder every 2 years. I haven't replaced any of those things in 12 years...
I 100% agree with Zoom.. I haven't done that stuff and don't intend to neither. bordercollie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
sorry But my900 Runs great with Just my simple Expertise
and the help here !!

ovrszd

I think there's some info missing or misunderstood?

I don't have an electronic WSM for the 1100. Maybe someone can post pics of the pages of the maintenance schedule this would involve?

700 hour service stuff is what ran the bill up...
Front brake seals--592.52
Master cylinder seals--235.71
Rear brake seals--107.48
Replace fuel system hoses--181.91
Replace hydraulic tank fluid--211.67
All cooling system hoses--743.07

$2,072.36

because of the leaks I am having them replace the heater core hoses too so although that's not on the 700 hour list I am doing and changing the type of clamps. I am tired of the leaking.

Those are things I wouldn't take on myself, except the hydraulic change, but they might as well do it.

The cooling system hoses I was going to replace anyway because I've never got this thing to quit leaking coolant and just last week there was a puddle on the garage floor that my new Aussie pup almost licked! That was it, she just turned a year old and is now working sheep pretty good so she's worth more to me than the 3700!

I think there's some info missing or misunderstood?

I don't have an electronic WSM for the 1100. Maybe someone can post pics of the pages of the maintenance schedule this would involve?
I don't have the manual right now. I am using my Deere dealership to do the work and I let them have my shop manual and the owners manual with the list in it.

there's the difference, I do the two year. Air filters are cheap in comparison to what can happen.

ovrszd

Wow, I just spent the past 10 minutes perusing thru my WSM. Yep, it lists all those things as well. But it's in the 2 year category.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
there's the difference, I do the two year. Air filters are cheap in comparison to what can happen.
Air filters are regularly scheduled hourly maintenance. The 2-YEAR of all that other stuff (crap or I call BS) doesn't need done IMHO.

I'd like others to chime in but I don't recall (ever) anyone doing that 2-year BS.

ovrszd

I will not state that some of it wouldn't be beneficial to the machine. But I will say that you will search hard and long to find an owner that follows that guidance.

An example of this type of "over" maintenance. When was the last time you changed the brake fluid in your vehicle??? Did you know that scientifically your brake fluid absorbs oxygen and becomes less effective??? Did you know you are supposed to flush the system and change the fluid when it shows any signs of discoloring??? Yeah, very few people know that and do it. :)

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Air filters are regularly scheduled hourly maintenance. The 2-YEAR of all that other stuff (crap or I call BS) doesn't need done IMHO.

I'd like others to chime in but I don't recall (ever) anyone doing that 2-year BS.

I change the knuckle cases, front differential , transmission and engine oils and also grease regularly New filters all around . I change the antifreeze every few years to deal with corrosion and only use distilled water to mix with the antifreeze . I'm also with Zoom on the rest and do NOT do the BS.
Cornerstone I am sure glad you caught the pup before she got to that antifreeze ! bordercollie

Machine is back. It has never sounded so good or run as well. I love my John Deere dealer.

After George went through the list I ask him if there were things on there that he would say that could be skipped and he said there were but there were also things that didn't make sense because some 700 hour should be combined with 900 hours. Didn't make sense to change the knuckle case oil at 900 hours when you have to change it when you do the front brake seals at 700 hours. So we adjusted the list. Now that the future lists are greatly reduced I will trust George to recommend hwat has to be done and not go by the Kubota list.

He went back and fixed things that he saw were done wrong by the dealer when the starter was replaced and he said he will never do a radiator hose change on one of these again in his life (and he's a kid). It requires not just removing the bottom pan but you are to pull the steering column out too! He managed to get one of the other guys to hold the steering out of the way while he worked.

So the total including picked up and deliver came in under 3700 but not by much! But this thing actually sounds better! That change of brake seals is critical because of the chance of the two fluids crossing and he said that would be catastrophic. (Okay he's a kid and didn't use that word but that's the word he was trying to use). LOL

Oh, and some of that remember is because I wanted different clamps and all new hoses on every hose on that machine! There is not one single piece of original rubber on the whole thing. Now let's see if it leaks!

32 hours since hose changes, not one single leak of antifreeze! Those hoses are bad from the start. Not even a minor leak, antifreeze level has stayed exactly the same. And now that the fan runs regularly I realize that sensor was bad from the beginning. It ran intermittently until it wouldn't run anymore.

But the new sensor kicks the fan on at least once a day. The old sensor never did that but it only overheated on my once. Everytime I saw it getting hot I would run the A/C and that would force the fan on.