Another tire thread

I have a 2013 RTV900 Worksite with OEM worksite tires and also have a second set of rims that I am looking for a second set of tires for.

I won't be (intentionally) mud bogging but would like a second set of tires with general trail capabilities, including at least light mud.

I am not trying to over think this but when I look at machine specs (machine weight 1929 lbs + 1642 lbs payload = GVWR of 3570 lbs !), the tire choices are not that many.

I know that many of you are using a variety of tires without problem, but when I contacted some tire companies directly and told them about my machine weight specs, some actually did not recommend their brand for my machine based on weight.

Many of the popular tires like GBC Grim Reapers are sufficient for unladen weight of the vehicle, but if you used the full cargo capacity of the RTV, they are supposedly not heavy enough. I am not worried about a risk of high speed tire failure (on an RTV :) ), but wanted to make sure I made a "wise" choice before spending hard earned money on tires which I hope will last for a while.

I will attempt to attach a small table of the info I have gathered from manufacturer's web sites and emailing company reps. The table has focused on 25X10-12 sizing with a couple of exceptions. The green highlighted sections indicate tires rated at >650 lbs (or 2600 lb vehicle weight).

Is there a maximum tire size the RTV900 can use (without installing a lift kit) that won't run into problems with tire rubbing?

Attachments

• RTV_Specs.jpg
    RTV_Specs.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Tires_Comparison.jpg
    Tires_Comparison.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 223

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sandalwood, I had some trouble with the xtrs but they were replaced under warranty... happened again and I just got different but it is hard to toss tires with such good tread left but bulges on 'em...
So far, my evolutions are good but they are aggressive .. Time will tell. They have thick sidewalls which I like.. Hard call for sure.. I read a post long ago about a fellow that put some automotive type spares on... can't remember what they were though. Good luck! A lot of choices to go through... p.s. I do think the 8 plys work good for me... collie

This is why I posted a week or so ago about a 2" lift. I plan to install a set of ITP Evoulutions on my 1100. Check out the load rating on my tires.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 226
Sandalwood, I had some trouble with the xtrs but they were replaced under warranty... happened again and I just got different but it is hard to toss tires with such good tread left but bulges on 'em...
So far, my evolutions are good but they are aggressive .. Time will tell. They have thick sidewalls which I like.. Hard call for sure.. I read a post long ago about a fellow that put some automotive type spares on... can't remember what they were though. Good luck! A lot of choices to go through... p.s. I do think the 8 plys work good for me... collie

What size of Blackwater Evolutions are you running?

Any rubbing issues?

Lyle

This is why I posted a week or so ago about a 2" lift. I plan to install a set of ITP Evoulutions on my 1100. Check out the load rating on my tires.

I suspect most people don't use their RTV to it full weight capacity and therefore don't end up with major tire issues since most tire manufacturers probably have "conservative" load rating for legal purposes.

I must say that I have had some great and not so great interactions with tire companies as I have tried to sort out this issue about tire load capacities.

Some companies post their tire load capacities on their web sites but many don't.

Kudos to Tim Tsiao at GBC and Brian Morris at Sedona, both gentlemen were knowledgeable, helpful and prompt in responding to my inquiries (I have no affiliation to either person or the company they represent).

ITP on the other hand, have failed to respond to 3 emails over the past 2 - 3 weeks !!! :shock: They may have a great product but their response to a potential customer has been less than stellar (again, no affiliation or prior dealings with the company).

Mark.Sibole

I suspect most people don't use their RTV to it full weight capacity and therefore don't end up with major tire issues since most tire manufacturers probably have "conservative" load rating for legal purposes.

I definatly go way over the weight limit constantly.
If you have a bugle in the tire you probably seperated a ply.2 options are going to an 8 ply like a grim reaper or tube it so the air dont get between the plys and cause the bulge.

I definatly go way over the weight limit constantly.
If you have a bugle in the tire you probably seperated a ply.2 options are going to an 8 ply like a grim reaper or tube it so the air dont get between the plys and cause the bulge.

What tires are you using?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What size of Blackwater Evolutions are you running?

Any rubbing issues?

Lyle

Sandalwood, They are 26" and then 9 in front and 11 in back. I have no rubbing.
I did put tubes in the xtrs when I had them, and since they are radials ... that was a nono for my situation. the steel in the radials just ruined the tubes .I posted pictures in the old tire thread.. and since gotten rid of them.. collie

Sandalwood, They are 26" and then 9 in front and 11 in back. I have no rubbing.
I did put tubes in the xtrs when I had them, and since they are radials ... that was a nono for my situation. the steel in the radials just ruined the tubes .I posted pictures in the old tire thread.. and since gotten rid of them.. collie

Is there a reason you chose 9" instead of 11" for front tires?

I figured another 1/2" on either side of stock 10" wide fronts might be OK without rubbing. Am I wrong on that?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Is there a reason you chose 9" instead of 11" for front tires?

I figured another 1/2" on either side of stock 10" wide fronts might be OK without rubbing. Am I wrong on that?

Sandalwood, Of the many sets of tires between the 5,800 hrs on the 2 machines I have had, I don't think I have ever ran 11's in front and didn't want to chance it. That money is too hard to come by and if they don't work then I would be stuck with them.
I think I ran 10 front and 12 in rear and had 27's at one time but not again. I am happy with the 26". I do wish the evolutions came in 10 and 12's... I still can't endorse them much because I only have about 500 hrs on 'em. The 9's do "look" narrow at first but they grew on me. collie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Is anyone running 25X11-12 or 26X11-12 as front tires (without a lift kit)?

Remember..... If you get to wide, you will keep mud, trash, etc .. etc ....
on the side of your machine.

......... two guns

Attachments

• Heli Huey.gif
    Heli Huey.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 194
I am running 27 x 11 x 12 on REAR

I am running 27 x 9 x 12 on FRONT

My Rear tires stick over the fender flares about 1.5 - 2.00 inches.
And will mud it up.

........... two guns

Wow, I wouldn't have expected the extra inch of width for rears would make such a difference. You're not using wheel spacers (to widen vehicle stance) are you?

I guess I'm going to have to have another look at mine this evening :shock: