Big lug tires OR chains- which first?

I have the stock worksite tires on my 900 and mostly they have been good in the snow and great the rest of the time. We have had no big snowstorms (yeah, just 7 inches in the last "huge" storm) since getting the plow (a Blizzard - works great) so I was thinking I may need to improve my traction if we get a deep snow.

The only time I have been stuck and had to winch out was in some deep wet snow in 2009 and at that time I thought a bit more belly clearance and some paddles to dig in would have been useful. Since then I have read others say that chains are the way to go-- but maybe they are dealing with more of an icy surface. Tracks look like (expensive) fun and may hurt the plowing if the ride height is raised too much.

So for my challenge of potentially belly deep snow would 589's or similar be the way to go OR should I just throw some chains on the WS tires. Some posters have mentioned that the deep lug tires have worse grip when it gets icy. Anyone care to relate how well their setup works? Thanks.

Attachments

• Kubota with new Plow 1.jpg
    Kubota with new Plow 1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 207

vintovka1

Big lug tires were my first choice for replacement and they are great. My rtv had the same as yours and literally wouldn't go offroad without slipping or getting stuck. I ordered a set of innovas for less than $300 shipped and had walmart change them out for $5 apiece. Now I can go just about anywhere. Should have put on the big lugs on the day I got the rtv.

Attachments

• DSC03588.JPG
    DSC03588.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 203

Onfoot

I am in my third winter with the worksite tires like yours, adding chains to all four wheels once there is a good layer of snow on the road. Here is what I can tell you from the experience and wisdom of folks up my way (Yukon, Canada):

1. In snow that allows them to bite, deep lug tires will move you through the snow better than the unchained worksite tires. They will not grip better than chains in those conditions.
2. Once the snow packs down (as it inevitably does), the lugs no longer bite and, in fact, you now have less rubber on the road. So in that condition the deep lug tires will work less well than the worksite tires (which simply have more rubber giving what friction they can). Chains work better than either.
3. On ice there is no contest between deep lug tires and chains. The chains win.

For the record, my previous UTV machine was an Arctic Cat Prowler with deep lug tires. I also used it for plowing and after getting frequently stuck in snow banks, ended up putting chains on the lug tires. The chains made a huge positive difference. (And they are the same chains I now run on the RTV900.)

In the summer, unless you are in muddy conditions, the worksite tires have worked very well for me and are much less damaging to the forest floor. (Here in our sub-arctic forest, tearing up the forest floor can take a hundred years to repair itself.)

I have had no problems with the chains rubbing or causing any other wear issues on the machine.

Hope this is helpful!

I think I get it, finally

Your explanation is helpful even though our conditions are different.

Here in southern NY (Only people from NYC like me call it upstate), and I am just south and east of the Catskill State Park, the snow never really packs down the way I have seen it in Montana, Wyoming & Colorado...instead it melts..Sometimes it freezes again producing a horid icy crust that dogs and deer hate. Sometimes it rains on top (like last winter) and then freezes. We just don't get that beautiful packed snow and powder on top. Maybe this year it will be different-- Accuweather is calling for the coldest winter January since 1985-

Based on what you say about deep snow the lugs and slightly raised ride height sound like what I should try. More people seem to suggest the 26 inch tires so that's what I think I will order.

zenchal26

I have big lugs on my rtv with a 6.5' meyer plow on it and have no traction issues. Even plow the lake for skating. Put some weight in the bed and you will have no problems.

Onfoot

TT, the only other thing you need to think about is whether the big lug tires are the best for your non-snow plowing use. Chains will keep you moving in your situation as well as or better then the big lug tires. But it sounds like the lugs will do OK for you. Question is whether you need the lugs for your other seasons. If you do, go with them. If you don't, then, if it was me thinking about it, it would be a question of money, time and hassle. Others may have other thoughts, of course!

DIXIEDOG

If it was my choice I would keep the worksite tires and add super studded diamond chains to the tires.....chained worksite tires are going to be far better than deep lugged tires in ice and about the same as snow. Chains sit very well on worksite tires, if you need to chain big lug tires your chains will always want to work their way down between the lugs and you won't gain the traction.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I am a firm believer in tires for the job. If you are willing to spring for lugged tires just get rims and use the worksites with chains for snow. That way you can change them quickly as the need changes. I do that with my plow truck every year.

Leaning towards a set of Maxxis Bighorns on own rims

Thanks for the responses. After reading them and some other stuff I am thinking of ordering a set of Bighorns on their own rims. Looks like the best snow tire and will not chew up grass too badly. Seems like I might be able to leave them on all the time and the extra ride height would be good. No-one seems to have had problems with them despite lack of info on maximum capacity.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, I just noticed I didn't tout my Bighorns in this thread.

I ran the worksite tires for about a month when I got my RTV but I got sick of them getting slicked over in the mud (and having a Kioti pull me out...) so I put on a set of Bighorn's and haven't looked back.
Traction = A, treadwear = A+, load capability A.

Basically, I've never gotten stuck, they look like new (after 5 years but not the hours that bordercollie or others may put on) and they've squatted but that was with the bed overloaded with stone (probably 1500# in the bed) so I just added more air... They are pretty easy on the yard.

I find around 18-19 PSI suits them best.