BX2370 Sporadic RPM

Goat Fan

2016 model 840 hrs
Tractor runs fine at 2600 rpm then sporadically the rpm drops to anywhere between 500 - 1500 rom for a few seconds then eventually comes back up to 2600

Seems to occur the most often when under a load (i.e. mowing, up a hill). Seems like a fuel issue but I have just recently changed both fuel filters (1 before pump & 1 after pump) but that doesnt seem to have made a difference.

Fuel pump issue?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I agree with your analysis. Seems fuel started. Since new filters it might be the fuel pump.

Goat Fan

Would it be worth siphoning out all the fuel and replace with new fuel before replacing pump just to make sure all the fuel is good?
Issue also seems worse when fuel level low so not sure if its pump or bad fuel at bottom of tank if thats possible

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For sure I would try that first.
Cheap and easy to try. Good luck.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It might just be a low fuel issue if it always happens on a hill and when fuel is low.

Goat Fan

Has happened with sufficient fuel in tank but seems to occur more often when low or going up a hill. Fuel pump clicks when you turn key to start so thats working it appears although not sure if it could still not be working 100%?

Reactions: Doc

Armyaviatr

SUPER Site Supporter
Last summer my BX2680 was giving me issues. It would start to sputter and sometimes die. Turned out to be the fuel pump. I always kept the tank full between jobs and the tank is just high enough when full to not need the pump. The problem was intermittent when it got close to being half full. The old fuel pump clicked when it was supposed to, so it never occurred to me that the pump wasn't working properly. My dealer suggested I swap out the fuel pump, after that no issues.

Goat Fan

Thanks Armyaviatr for the reply. Your reply has convinced me. I think I will replace the fuel pump and hopefully that will fix the problem. Going to the dealer to get one tomorrow.

Goat Fan

Problem solved. After replacing both fuel filters and the fuel pump (all of which were roughly due to be done) the sporadic RPM issue continued.

Went to drain the fuel and was surprised at only a trickle of fuel which came out when I removed the rear fuel filter....After blowing compressed air through the line back towards the tank, it flowed really well once again.

While the crud or whatever it is is still in the tank most likely, the tractor is running like new and now I have a lot of grass cutting to catch up on. If the issue arises again, I will check the flow rate from the tank before assuming its a pump problem...and probably remove the tank for a serious cleaning. Hopefully that time wont come for a while:wink:

Armyaviatr

SUPER Site Supporter
I always add a little anti microbial in each 5 gallon can. We always asked for "prist" when we refueled our helicopters.

Goat Fan

As a matter of fact, I put in a couple of ounces of Diesel Extreme for the first time. Never used anything in the past but maybe that was part of the problem. Were you a pilot? We are near Knoxville TN airport and get to see TN Air Guard flying C135, F15s(?) and helicopters...may have numbers wrong but cool stuff