Decision Time: Kubota RTV. Need advice

TNcowboy

Hey Dennis
I decided some time ago that offense is something that I will occasionally be offered... but I choose whether or not to "take" it. No harm done here. I found it more humorous than anything else.

If I had a penny for every time I said something that I wished I hadn't I wouldn't have to ask about price :wink:

Michael

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The bunch of good ol boys sittin at "THE" table or out on the bench in front watchin all and talkin about all.
I can't wait until I get to sit at "THE" table and do the grown-up talk. I still have to sit at the kids table for holiday dinners.

If I had a penny for every time I said something that I wished I hadn't
It's just the opposite for me. I have to give a penny. Mrs. Zoom is heading out on a 3-week vacation without me?!?!? :(. I hope she pays in those pennies for hotels and meals and didn't cash them in already.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Lots said and unsaid in the previous posts. Maybe attitude... but thats okey too. Owner opinions are based on personal experience and thats what we all want to know about. If we agree or not, thats another issue. But, everyone here should be able to voice their opinion... even if they are wrong... LOL . Ya gotta have a good sense of humor to stay on this forum.

Now back to your possible- future- maybe - RTV purchase. As a disclosure, I have a 2012 RTV 1100. It works for me. I have several rural properties that are 3 miles apart. I can drive on back roads and am not bothered by the local policia. So, I really enjoy the creature comforts such as the heater/AC in the 1100. And, I also have all the utility that the 900's enjoy. All my off road use is on cleared trails and farm fields. Actually I use the OEM worksite tires (with chains in winter) and they work just fine for my use. I don't have animals to raise or crops to grow so all my work with the RTV is on an 'as needed' basis.' Being retired allows that kind of schedule. I've been down the farming route and know it's hard work 24/7... especially as BorderCollie and others have shared with us.

You can always get a 900 and add an aftermarket roof, windshields, doors, cab, etc. (And a bunch of other stuff too... lol) Maybe with your deal, he/she would be to throw in a 50 hour scheduled maintenance.

Lots a luck.... I gotta go, have appointment at the beauty salon.

TNcowboy

Update

7 I gotta go, have appointment at the beauty salon.
Hope they are more succesful with you than me...my wife thinks in me she's found the missing link :wink:

Well, here's the update. I found a NEW 2012 at an out of state dealer for 16.6k out the door and it qualifies for 0% finance so........we are on a 12hr round trip next week. I'll give a report later.
Michael

Last edited:

Kanook

All these years the local beauty parlor has been refusing my requests for an appoinyment and I thought it was because I was just too butt ugly to beautify, and now I find out it's because I have a RTV900...The world will just have to put up with my ugly mugg fora while longer as my 04 model is still runnin'fine (other than tearing off the passenger side door the other day) .....

I just keep on learnin' stuff here.

TNcowboy....post some pics when you get your BST (beauty salon taxi)

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
It would seem that I limited my vision to what "I" feel and think and perhaps expected it to pertain to others. For that, again, I am sorry.
Dennis don't sweat it. We all tend to do that sometimes, because that is what we have every day knowledge of. It's our own experiences or preferences talking.

Treehouse

Site Supporter
You might want to ask the dealer to do a complete fluid change on your new rig before you roll out of there. Even though it's brand new, 2012 is a long time for the fluids to sit there. The SUDT is probably ok but the brake fluid may have picked up some moisture and motor oil may also have degraded a bit. Ditto on fuel and fuel filter. Might be good to have them set you up like new. If they won't probably still worth doing yourself. From everything I've heard from the good folks on this forum treating your baby right in the break-in period, and then staying on top of the maintenance, is the key to raising a
healthy 'bota

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You might want to ask the dealer to do a complete fluid change on your new rig before you roll out of there. Even though it's brand new, 2012 is a long time for the fluids to sit there. The SUDT is probably ok but the brake fluid may have picked up some moisture and motor oil may also have degraded a bit. Ditto on fuel and fuel filter. Might be good to have them set you up like new. If they won't probably still worth doing yourself. From everything I've heard from the good folks on this forum treating your baby right in the break-in period, and then staying on top of the maintenance, is the key to raising a
healthy 'bota
:agree: Very good suggestion. :thumb:

TNcowboy

Update

Well,
we made our way to Arkansas to pick up the new 'bota. I am going to try to post some pictures. I fabricated some steps to make it easier for my wife to access. I had a stainless stair tread left over from a project so I cut it in half and welded some 2" square tubing to it to fit into a 2" receiver tube at each side. I bolted them to a channel on the frame. I can post pictures if anyone is interested. Seat covers come in today!
Thanks for all the help ,
Michael

Attachments

• image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 162
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 149
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 149

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sweet! Congratulations.

That's a nice trailer you have. What do you normally haul in it?

TNcowboy

That's a nice trailer you have. What do you normally haul in it?

That trailer has been extremely handy; it is a 14' Gooseneck dump trailer, but I've set it up with a removable tailgate, ramps and sides that drop. I've hauled everything from mulch, steel and lumber to skidsteers and smaller tractors and of course the new Kubota :thumb:

TNcowboy

Quick review of the seat covers (I'll post some pics tomorrow).

They are pretty good in terms of fit and quality. The bottom seat cover was pretty easy to install as were the headrests. The back was a little more time consuming. I had to remove the back and install it first then re install the back. Not too bad, removed the Allen head screws at the back and on the sides and then wedged the plastic with a 2x4 scrap to give me access to the three bolts that hold the back in place. The first bolt on the drivers side is accessible thru the fuse access panel; the rest are not accessible from there.

The one thing that I would suggest is to use a pair of pliers to stretch the back cover on (grab it by the edging (piping?) and it will fit pretty well; and use a wide putty knife to stuff the edging down behind the seat to get a tight fit as you tighten the bolts.

Paid $88.50 for the set, so seems worth it to keep them in good shape. Total time to install was about 40 minutes including the "how in the world does this back come off" time, so it's all good here.

Also bought a cover for the Kawasaki Prairie at the same time; installed it in 5 minutes and it fits great!

Michael

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats. Looks good. I too look forward to seeing how the seat covers work out.

TNcowboy

Okay, thought I'd post some picture of the seat covers and the steps I fabricated. So far they are working out great; the one for the Kawasaki fit perfect. Thanks to all for the advice.

I have noticed that the passenger door leaks a little in the rain at the top, also the back window on the same side; not a lot but still.....Anyone else had that issue? I will be dragging her to the dealer for them to look at.

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_20140616_195605722[1].jpg
    IMG_20140616_195605722[1].jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20140616_195440973[1].jpg
    IMG_20140616_195440973[1].jpg
    39 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20140616_195419606[1].jpg
    IMG_20140616_195419606[1].jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20140616_195407118[1].jpg
    IMG_20140616_195407118[1].jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20140616_195223086[1].jpg
    IMG_20140616_195223086[1].jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 107

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Seat covers look great. :thumb:
I don't care for how I slide to easily on my standard seats, guessing the seat covers would help with that. Can you post a link to the seat covers ...I think I might order a set.

Mark.Sibole

Only real issue i can see on this machine is its to damn clean!!!! go muddy it up some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sweet!

A couple things I see.

Although the seat covers look great, they do clash with the towel. I'd think one or the other has to go.

How did you mount the steps? It looks like you have a 2" receiver underneath. Is that bolted or welded to the RTV? I've thought about doing something similar but would want it mounted with a single bolt so when (not "if" for me) I clipped the step, it would swivel out of the way.