Does this mean I have to move on?

DIXIEDOG

Got rid of my little RTV 500 and picked up a new John Deere 825i today....the Kubota served me well for a couple years but it was time for something that had a little more utility to it...the 825i is much better for trails...it has a better suspension and it's considerably faster. I've got no regrets buying the 500 though as it let me know exactly what I wanted for my side by side....it did a whole lot of work and I'm sure there will be times I'm going to wish I had it back but for the most part I think I made a nice little upgrade. :17875:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How about a pic DD? And no, this does not mean you have to move on. :yum:

DIXIEDOG

Not much for pics yet but this will likely be the last time it's clean under my ownership :yum:

DSCF0609.jpg

I'll be mounting my Warn winch and Eagle V-plow before snow season up here to get this thing dressed up for work.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks good. I agree, they just don't look right clean. :thumb:
It appears smaller than the RTV's. Is it a gas engine? What size is the engine? Hydraulic dump?

DIXIEDOG

Looks good. I agree, they just don't look right clean. :thumb:
It appears smaller than the RTV's. Is it a gas engine? What size is the engine? Hydraulic dump?

It is a 812 gas engine...50 hp. Not sure if it's smaller than some of the RTV's or not....it's 62" wide and 119" long....it is a snug for for my 10' long trailer.:pat: The bed is power dump but it's electric over as this doesn't have a hydro tranny it's cvt.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I looked at the diesel model Deere myself before settling on another RTV last August. One of the reasons I opted for the RTV was because of the belt on the Deere (Had one of those on my Mule). I do a lot of pulling and have 536 hrs on my coming 1 year old RTV and would again consider a Deere in the future if my heavy pulling changes. I am sure you will enjoy it- I really like those seats too. I hear that you will also have a speed machine there. If anybody gives ya a hard time let us know and we will take 'em to Two Gun's swamps . :) bordercollie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
guess the angle of that pic makes it appear smaller, at least to me.
Checked prices on them. Starting around 12k. interesting. Do you know who makes the gas engine in those puppies?

DIXIEDOG

guess the angle of that pic makes it appear smaller, at least to me.
Checked prices on them. Starting around 12k. interesting. Do you know who makes the gas engine in those puppies?

Chery (sp??) I believe it is a Chinese manufacturer...it would be great if the engine were built in the US too but unfortunately not much is built here anymore.:cuss:

DIXIEDOG

Dixiedog, why the 825i vs some of the others, I am ready to make the change. JH

You're just wanting me to start a world war here aren't you?:yum:

The reasons I went with the 825i over the others was because for me it seemed to be the best compromise of work and play.

1) I plow a lot of snow so that's important to me, the Kubota RTV 500 did that extremely well and I think the Gator will work the same.

2) I also haul a dog box during hunting season to bring my beagles to areas I want to hunt so I need a decent size bed

3) Since I use it to hunt the 25 mph top speed was getting to me on the wide smooth atv trails I was on frequently...the Gator does mid 40's

4) I move trailers often with the front hitch so having a front and rear 2" hitch was important to me

5) The Gator had a good warranty along with a good dealer.

I actually went to the dealer with plans of ordering one of the new RSX 850i models...the reason I went with the 825i instead was I needed the larger square corner box and the added payload the 825i had to offer.

The other considered unit was a Ranger 800 but the Gator feels much stronger when accelerating....the build quality also looked a bit better to me.

DIXIEDOG

No it's a CVT unit...I wanted something faster so hydro was pretty much out...the Kubota and Honda are the only two I know of and they are both slow.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
That thing looks sweet man.dont worry about the belt drive on them gators youll burn the tires off before you burn the belt. Them mules are belt drive too but thier belt system just aint up to par with the gators.i pulled some really heay loads with my ols 23 hp hpx. And that baby pulled great she never let me down.i canonly imagine what that 50hp will pull.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The 2013 rangers are starting to show up. Quite a few upgrades,now they will have the xp 900 engine that was in the rzr, de-tuned to 60 hp. 5 inch longer wheelbase 10 gal fuel tank are just some of them. If they had a cab with a/c I think I would have one. That a/c in my 1100 has sure spoiled me. It sure nice to have an air conditioned dove blind the 1st of September around here.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
picked up a new John Deere 825i today....:17875:

There is some folks down the road got them a JD 825i also, looks like a
super machine. It will serve you well.

And Dixiedog, you can stay right here on this forum., we like to keep up with you and the new machine.
............ two guns:harley:

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter

You can stick around for a long time as long as you paint that thing orange! My neighbor had a JD and had a lot of joint troubles. Not sure what model but it was new 3 years ago. He bought a 900 RTV after riding in mine a few times. He has a 4 wheeler if he needs to go fast.

DIXIEDOG

You can stick around for a long time as long as you paint that thing orange! My neighbor had a JD and had a lot of joint troubles. Not sure what model but it was new 3 years ago. He bought a 900 RTV after riding in mine a few times. He has a 4 wheeler if he needs to go fast.

I'd rather walk :wall:

Even when I had a Kubota it wasn't orange...paid extra for the camo so nobody I knew could see me.:yum: