Driveline Rattle

cypressman

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="90%" align="left"> <tbody> <tr> <td class="txt4" valign="top" align="left">I have an issue with my RTV that neither my dealer nor the Kubota Tech Rep. has had any success in solving. The front drive shaft rattles very loudly when the RTV is idling, and at road speeds, the shaft makes a rattling, whipping noise. At idle, you can put pressure on the shaft, and the noise quiets down. Thereis no noise at all when the unit is in 4wd. The shaft has quite a bit of play at both ends, (the yokes at both the transmission end, and at the front differential). My dealer has replaced the yoke on the transmission end twice. This seems to help some for about 2 hours of operation, then the rattle returns. The KubotaTech Rep. told me that they had a problem with some of the yokes being just within tolerance, but somewhat loose.He assured me that the last yoke replacement would solve the problem, but, again, it did not. I am concerned that the looseness of the yoke (apx. 3/16 inch of side play) will eventually wear the splined transmission output shaft. Since the last yoke replacement. the rattle has extended to the front yoke as well. I called another larger dealer and asked his opinion. He recommended replacement of the entire front drive shaft, including shaft, both yokes, and the pillow block. I have a friend with an identical unit with approximately 40 hours on it, and it is very quiet. I sold a Kawasaki Mule diesel 4wd to purchase the Kubota because the RTV was so much quieter, but now, I'm not so sure I made the right move!

Any helpful advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Cypressman

</td></tr></tbody></table>

cypressman

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="90%" align="left"> <tbody> <tr> <td class="txt4" valign="top" align="left">I have an issue with my RTV that neither my dealer nor the Kubota Tech Rep. has had any success in solving. The front drive shaft rattles very loudly when the RTV is idling, and at road speeds, the shaft makes a rattling, whipping noise. At idle, you can put pressure on the shaft, and the noise quiets down. Thereis no noise at all when the unit is in 4wd. The shaft has quite a bit of play at both ends, (the yokes at both the transmission end, and at the front differential). My dealer has replaced the yoke on the transmission end twice. This seems to help some for about 2 hours of operation, then the rattle returns. The KubotaTech Rep. told me that they had a problem with some of the yokes being just within tolerance, but somewhat loose.He assured me that the last yoke replacement would solve the problem, but, again, it did not. I am concerned that the looseness of the yoke (apx. 3/16 inch of side play) will eventually wear the splined transmission output shaft. Since the last yoke replacement. the rattle has extended to the front yoke as well. I called another larger dealer and asked his opinion. He recommended replacement of the entire front drive shaft, including shaft, both yokes, and the pillow block. I have a friend with an identical unit with approximately 40 hours on it, and it is very quiet. I sold a Kawasaki Mule diesel 4wd to purchase the Kubota because the RTV was so much quieter, but now, I'm not so sure I made the right move!

Any helpful advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Cypressman

</td></tr></tbody></table>

G

I'd suggest the same as the other dealer. Its not like you can just let that go as it will cause substantial wear. I'dask that they start at the front and work their way back until its quiet. Dothe bearingsalong the drivelinelook okay?Just be persistant and give them some time to work out the real issues. This is not a common problem so it might take some time. I know its a pain, but this is what the warrenty is for.

G

I'd suggest the same as the other dealer. Its not like you can just let that go as it will cause substantial wear. I'dask that they start at the front and work their way back until its quiet. Dothe bearingsalong the drivelinelook okay?Just be persistant and give them some time to work out the real issues. This is not a common problem so it might take some time. I know its a pain, but this is what the warrenty is for.

cypressman

Thanks for the advice! I think that I'll give my local dealer one last chance, and if that is unsuccessful, I'll take it to Mobile.

cypressman

Thanks for the advice! I think that I'll give my local dealer one last chance, and if that is unsuccessful, I'll take it to Mobile.

G

Hey! I found somthing right on this site!

<table align="center"> <tbody> <tr> <td bgcolor="gainsboro"> <div style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Problem:</div> <div>4WD Shaft Rattles </div></td></tr> <tr> <td> <div style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Solution:</div> <div><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'MS Mincho'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: JA; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">We have had some reports of the 4WD shaft rattling on the RTV900s. Usually, the u-joint assembly at the transmission end was too loose. Tolerance improvements have been made to this part. Therefore, if you find the front drive shafts rattling due to a loose u-joint, please replace the u-joint assembly (K7561-16820) </span></div></td></tr></tbody></table>
http://www.compacttractorreview.com/article-rtv.aspx

G

Hey! I found somthing right on this site!

<table align="center"> <tbody> <tr> <td bgcolor="gainsboro"> <div style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Problem:</div> <div>4WD Shaft Rattles </div></td></tr> <tr> <td> <div style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Solution:</div> <div><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'MS Mincho'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: JA; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">We have had some reports of the 4WD shaft rattling on the RTV900s. Usually, the u-joint assembly at the transmission end was too loose. Tolerance improvements have been made to this part. Therefore, if you find the front drive shafts rattling due to a loose u-joint, please replace the u-joint assembly (K7561-16820) </span></div></td></tr></tbody></table>
http://www.compacttractorreview.com/article-rtv.aspx

cypressman

It's back to the dealer on Monday for replacement of both yokes, (third time for the rear one), shaft and carrier bearing!
<font style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f5f5dc">
I'm hoping for the best!</font>

cypressman

It's back to the dealer on Monday for replacement of both yokes, (third time for the rear one), shaft and carrier bearing!
<font style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f5f5dc">
I'm hoping for the best!</font>

cypressman

Went to the dealer today, got a new shaft, carrier and both yokes, It's as quiet as when new! (I'm hoping that it'll stay that way!)[:D]

cypressman

Went to the dealer today, got a new shaft, carrier and both yokes, It's as quiet as when new! (I'm hoping that it'll stay that way!)[:D]

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhh,
Now you can fully enjoy the sound of the diesel purring without other noise.

Glad it's fixed!!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhh,
Now you can fully enjoy the sound of the diesel purring without other noise.

Glad it's fixed!!

cypressman

Another 5 or so hours use, and, (u guessed it) the rattle's back with slack at the transmission yoke. AARRRGGGHHH!!!

cypressman [:mad:]

cypressman

Another 5 or so hours use, and, (u guessed it) the rattle's back with slack at the transmission yoke. AARRRGGGHHH!!!

cypressman [:mad:]