for those that don't know...

Dougster

Old Member
Douster,
Ah....this was 13 years ago. I could go back into aircraft records and stamp........Dougster made me do it........on the log page.
hugs, Brandi
No no no. Totally unnecessary! ;)

But tell the truth... Wouldn't you love to hit that throttle and take 'er up for a spin sometime??? :thumb:

Dougster

Bindian

Brandi
Do you have a regular A & E license?
LarryRB,
Now you are showing your age. Sometime in the early 70s, the A&E license was changed to an A&P license, for Airframe and Powerplant. I was told while in A&P school why the Feds changed it, but I slept since then. Yes, I have had an A&P Mechanic's license since 1978. I got it at the earliest age you can get one. Figure that out and you will know my age.;)
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster,
:badidea::shitHitsFan::forgetit: :badidea: :nocomment: Yes it would be fun...until you tried to land.:oops::hide::shitHitsFan:
hugs, Brandi
Yeah, I suppose you're right. :eek: Might be a short trip too if you tried it in one of those planes carrying a light load of fuel. :(

Still, if you were flying up front on one fine day... and both the pilot and copilot had fish for lunch and suddenly got real sick... I have full confidence that you could land the plane and even drive it over to the right gate! :thumb: If I were riding in back, I'd have no worries at all! ;)

Dougster

rback33

Snow pics as promised. A few of these were taken looking out through the window or doors so bear with me. The last two are of my daughter and her Papa and Grandma. I would guess we ended up with about 7" total. they had 11 just down the road 7 miles. Go figure...

Attachments

• Snow Storm 12.15.07 001.jpg
    Snow Storm 12.15.07 001.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Snow Storm 12.15.07 002.jpg
    Snow Storm 12.15.07 002.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Snow Storm 12.15.07 004.jpg
    Snow Storm 12.15.07 004.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 116
  • Snow Storm 12.15.07 005.jpg
    Snow Storm 12.15.07 005.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 119
Jeremy how goes the power situiation. Are you still generating you own power or has the local power company got you turned back on yet?

rback33

Oops. Sorry guys. They got us back on Monday evening. Everything is good. Just working on get back into the flow of things. It's amazing how hard it is to get back into the "rhythm" after so much turmoil.

Dougster

Old Member
Oops. Sorry guys. They got us back on Monday evening. Everything is good. Just working on get back into the flow of things. It's amazing how hard it is to get back into the "rhythm" after so much turmoil.
No apology necessary! :) Just glad to hear everything is returning to normal. :thumb: When you have the time, I'd love more info on how you made out with that portable generator. I've had one here for more than 25 years, but I've never had to use it for more than an hour or two. It wasn't that we haven't had our share of storms and power outages. It's just that it's a crude, heavy, noisy, older unit that's difficult to haul out, start and use. :eek:

Recently, I bought a brand new one for the business... a 3,000 watt Chinese special that I bought on a whim for $214.00. It's compact, lightweight and has got all the modern bells and whistles... but I have no idea how long it might last in an ugly "real world" crisis situation.

Moreover, how much gasoline can one practically keep on hand? :confused:

Dougster

Bindian

Moreover, how much gasoline can one practically keep on hand? :confused:

Dougster
Dougster,
I bought a diesel generator because my folks gasoline unit was way too hungary. Now I wish I would have bought a unit that ran on propane or natural gas. Mine will run about 24 hours on 8 gallons of diesel.
hugs, Brandi

rback33

Dougster,
I bought a diesel generator because my folks gasoline unit was way too hungary. Now I wish I would have bought a unit that ran on propane or natural gas. Mine will run about 24 hours on 8 gallons of diesel.
hugs, Brandi

Be careful doing that. I was talking to an electrician yesterday the new a guy that insisted on a giant dual fuel propane jobber. He burned 200 gallons of propane in less than 2 days. I was spending about $25 day running mine on a very small load. Was not running 24 hrs, but prolly 18 on the average. I am VERY pleased with it. It is a Coleman Powermate run by a Yamaha motor. it was VERY easy on the gas. I was getting 20 gallons at a time for it. I has a 7 gallon tank. 6750 W rated, 8500 Surge

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster, I bought a diesel generator because my folks gasoline unit was way too hungry. Now I wish I would have bought a unit that ran on propane or natural gas. Mine will run about 24 hours on 8 gallons of diesel.
hugs, Brandi
Be careful doing that. I was talking to an electrician yesterday the new a guy that insisted on a giant dual fuel propane jobber. He burned 200 gallons of propane in less than 2 days. I was spending about $25 day running mine on a very small load. Was not running 24 hrs, but prolly 18 on the average. I am VERY pleased with it. It is a Coleman Powermate run by a Yamaha motor. it was VERY easy on the gas. I was getting 20 gallons at a time for it. I has a 7 gallon tank. 6750 W rated, 8500 Surge
I'd love an emergency diesel generator for the house... but no way that's gonna happen here. New Hampshire maybe, but not here. :rolleyes:

I wonder why that propane generator was so inefficient. :confused: Could it be that it was VERY high output? Like way more than necessary to run a house???

Anyway, sounds like you've got an excellent portable gasoline generator there. I doubt my "China Special" is in the same class... but I bet you didn't pay $214.00 either.

I keep 9 gallons of reasonably fresh gasoline on hand at all times... two 5-gallon jugs filled ~90%. Care to wager a guess on how long that might last in a nominal 3,000 watt generator???

I did buy two extra yellow-colored diesel fuel jugs at the Walmart the other day (bringing my total to 4 and freeing up two other "borrowed" 5-gallon red gasoline jugs). That would give me 18 gallons total if I used those two in addition to the first two... and if the "China Special" doesn't melt first or blow itself apart. :eek:

Dougster

xlr82v2

Dougster,
We had just replaced the nose steering collars for scheduled overhaul. We suppose to taxi two different directions on the same taxiway and check to see if the steering drifts or stays straight while momentarily taking our hand off of the steering wheel. We are allowed to taxi with 2000 pounds of fuel minimum in each wing tank to keep the fuel pumps cool. The -500 has the same engines as the bigger -300 and can turn real easy with less than 5000 pounds of fuel in each tank. I didn't know about the 5000 pound quick turn characteristic. We had about 2500 pounds in each tank. So I throttled up from a stop to cross the active runway. When I got across runway and lined up on the taxi way, I let go of the steering wheel to check for steering drift. Next thing I knew I was headed for the grass and mud, so I jumped on the brakes. I then taxied back to the hangar telling Ops we were going back to the barn with a MX problem. In the hangar we checked steering again with the nose wheels sitting on a grease plate and all was fine. While talking it over with the inspector, I learned about the less than 5000 pound "rule". Since we taxi with the brake anti skid in the off position, I locked the brakes and had about a 4 inch flat spot on all 4 main tires! Oh the fun we have. Like anything done enough...........you get tired of it. But it is a kick in the pants throttling up with an empty weighted airliner.
hugs, Brandi

Brandi,

Where you taxiing single engine? And, why do you taxi with anti-skid off? I'm not familiar with B737 systems. On the LR-JET (Lear 55), you can taxi with anti-skid off or inop, but you're limited to 10 knots taxi speed maximum.

No no no. Totally unnecessary!

But tell the truth... Wouldn't you love to hit that throttle and take 'er up for a spin sometime???

Dougster

;) Takeoffs are optional...

Dougster,
:badidea::shitHitsFan::forgetit::badidea::nocomment:Yes it would be fun...until you tried to land.:oops::hide::shitHitsFan:
hugs, Brandi

Landings are MANDITORY!!! :badidea: :wink:

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Might be a short trip too if you tried it in one of those planes carrying a light load of fuel. :(

Still, if you were flying up front on one fine day... and both the pilot and copilot had fish for lunch and suddenly got real sick... I have full confidence that you could land the plane and even drive it over to the right gate! If I were riding in back, I'd have no worries at all!

Dougster

Brandi,

Have you had an opportunity to fly the simulator or "other such machine that may very closely resemble the actual airplane that you happened to be riding in at the time";)? Do they give the mechanics any special training on what to do should the unthinkable happen and the airplane gets airborne on something like a high speed taxi test, or do they get a flight crew to sit up front for those type of tests?

Bindian

Jeremy,
Thanks. I would only go Natural Gas. Maybe the guy was using natural gas jets instead of propane jets? I can buy off road diesel cheaper than I can get propane.
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

Brandi,

Where you taxiing single engine? And, why do you taxi with anti-skid off? I'm not familiar with B737 systems. On the LR-JET (Lear 55), you can taxi with anti-skid off or inop, but you're limited to 10 knots taxi speed maximum.

;) Takeoffs are optional...

Landings are MANDITORY!!! :badidea: :wink:

Brandi,

Have you had an opportunity to fly the simulator or "other such machine that may very closely resemble the actual airplane that you happened to be riding in at the time";)? Do they give the mechanics any special training on what to do should the unthinkable happen and the airplane gets airborne on something like a high speed taxi test, or do they get a flight crew to sit up front for those type of tests?
Brian,
I don't remember why we taxi with anti skid off. It is part of the check list. I just asked two co workers and they don't know either. I will find out. We taxi on two engines unless we are taking one to the barn to work on one engine. We have full function simulators in Dallas. I have only been in it once. I tried to fly between two buildings in downtown Dallas and crashed into one. High speed taxi is forbidden. We taxi with flaps up, so worst we would do is go off the of the pavement. A long time ago, one guy was doing a high speed and his right seat guy told him to slow down and he reach over and dropped the flap lever. The nose came off the ground.
What I liked to do was power back in DC-9s. That is a noisy rush backing up. Taxing into a hangar is fun also.
hugs, Brandi

xlr82v2

I wish we could power back the Learjet... that would come in handy at times at some of the remote airports we go to that don't have a tug big enough to move us around. The AFM/Ops Manual forbids it... from what I hear, too easy to put the ac back on it's tail, although I've seen the mechanics do full power runups with TR's deployed. Also, they say the brakes are not designed to be applied while rolling backwards, could possibly rip the packs off of the struts.

There's lots of "engineering wonders" on the Learjet... (you have to wonder why they engineered it that way;))

Bindian

I wish we could power back the Learjet... that would come in handy at times at some of the remote airports we go to that don't have a tug big enough to move us around. The AFM/Ops Manual forbids it... from what I hear, too easy to put the ac back on it's tail, although I've seen the mechanics do full power runups with TR's deployed. Also, they say the brakes are not designed to be applied while rolling backwards, could possibly rip the packs off of the struts.

There's lots of "engineering wonders" on the Learjet... (you have to wonder why they engineered it that way;))
Correct on the brakes........never, never, never use brakes to stop a power back. It is all with the bucket position. Our manuals said not to do it also, but out on the road TDY.......our chief inspector gave us the go ahead if it meant taking a delay. For a while we were "wet" leased to Air Puerto Rico down in Miami and every afternoon we had to reposition to another gate. We took a delay once waiting on a tug. I couldn't see wanting to do it with engines close to the ground, as it would kick up to much debris that might become FOD. I have only seen it done (and done it) on aircraft equipped with Pratt & Whitney JT8 engines, as on the Boeing 727 and Douglas DC-9
Why, oh why would a mechanic want to go to full power with brakes on and the reversers deployed? Just think if one TR bucket gave way like they did a lot on the Boeing 727. Where do you think the nickname "bomber" came from.;) I seen them come in with a TR bucket missing. It flat out ruins your day.:umbrella:...........and evening.
hugs, Brandi

xlr82v2

I'm not exactly sure why they were doing it... but, the Lear 55 doesn't have buckets... we've got blocker doors and cascade vanes (Aeronca TR's). They can be kind of finicky at times with all the limit switches such... I'd assume that they were trying to replicate a failure to stow condition... I've had that happen a few times. But when I saw them doing that check was many, many moons ago, back when I was just a young pup working the ramp... and I just don't remember anymore. Could have been a "not making power" squawk also???

Have you ever had the pleasure of working on any Learjets? Some mechanics love them, most hate them :wink: