front axle

ssr

i had some questions a few weeks ago about my 4x4 and i think i have found the problem.my front inner joint is shot.the shaft is not broken but the joint is gone. can i buy just a repair kit or do i need to do something with the cup that it rides in.if so can you buy the cup part or do i have to buy a whole new axle assembly?how do you know if the cup is wore to bad to use again?

cov62431

The parts can be ordered through Kubota dealers. Not sure how much it would be, imagine it could get pricey. The "cup" you refer to could still be good, clean it and look at it closely. If you can see that it is worn, replace it. You may be able to match it up (the whole c.v. shaft) somewhere that deals in c.v. shafts a little cheaper. Kubota does do things to their parts that make them proprietary to Kubota. For example u-joints, you can find "close" matches but not an exact replacement. Good Luck.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
when i changed the axle on my hpx it cost me right at 400,00 but like what was said if the boot is still good just reuse it you can buy the new bands to install it at autozone . i keep a spare set with me at all times i can get you a picture of them and the part number if you need that way they will know what you want .

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
........... and when you go back with anything that takes or will need grease.
Please get the Amsoil # 2 Heavy Duty Equipment Grease. You will NEVER
have to worry about anything like that again.
That stuff don't go anywhere.,,,,,, and will not pound out or wash off !!!!:thewave:

.............. two guns

ssr

not sure if i was clear about the cup.it is not the boot it is the cup that the three bolts hold to the front diff.the bearings and the cage ride in here and it is worn pretty bad.i have checked a few axle places and no one has the part all they have is the repair kit.kubota says they do not have it all they can do is sell a new axle 560.00 bucks.has anyone run in to this or should i bite the bullet and get a new axle.so if anyone has a old machine to part out please let me know.thanks

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
You may be able to turn it oversize and have a spacer made to fit the new bearing. Have you checked out Messicks for the part? They may be able to help you.

clueless

the inner cv joint is replaceable, the outer is not,if im not mistaken.

oh and the bearing retainer/cup is cheap. i think i have a housing at work.you need the aluminum piece?and the bearing?

ssr

my bearing seems good i think all i need is the bearing housing that the bearing and cage are in i also need the bearings and cage and the peice that is c cliped on the shaft.were do i get it thanks

ssr

i hope that is clear what i am saying the roller bearing is good but the bearing and cage that the shaft goes in is gone.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
they will give you a new c clip with the axle never reuse an old one no mater how good it looks.

ssr

i have not been able to locate the cup that holds the cage and bearings for the iner cv joint on the front axle i guess i am going to have to buy a complete axle.i hope this is not going to be a problem from here on out.ilove my rtv so far but i just hope i wont have problems getting parts for it.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
the cv joints will go out for two reasons one is if the boot rips and mud or sand get into it the other is if you have aggressive tires and put them into a bind the first thing to snap is the cv joint or axle. the old owner of your rtv could have torn a boot and left it go for a while before replacing it . when he did replace it he could have left some dirt or sand in it instead of making sure it was clean . another good way to damage the cv joint is to pull something in reverse this puts all the strain on the front dif and axles and that is something they are not designed for allways pull something from the rear thats why the rear end is so beafy and the front dif is alot smaller it's only designed to give extra traction for the rear when needed.when pulling a heavy load and the front end starts to hop up and down shut it down that will snap thing quik too when the tires lift off the ground a bit and spin then suddenly grab that ain't to good. as for as having continued problems in the future with it i highly dought it unless you really abuse it this just sounds like something the old owner just tried to pass off on you .

cov62431

I looked at our parts manual this morning and it does appear that you would have to get the whole axle, (if you order from kubota). Although it does break the whole axle down, it doesn't give you part #'s on them. Just gives you a number for the whole axle. Sorry. Like peanut says though if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

doggman

ssr - what year is your 900? I drove by a storage yard the other day and saw 3 or 4 RTV "hangar queens" out back. If you're not in a rush I can stop by and find out who owns them and if they'll part them out.

doggman

Let me see what I can find out. The storage yard was in an area that I usually don't visit (30 miles away) but I know a guy who lives somewhere in the area of the yard. I'll see if I can get ahold of him.