front driveshaft u-joints

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What year model do you have Zenchal? Mark S.sibole has some info posted on the ujoints for the front drive shaft.. I think it was on the "rear ujoints needed again" post I started . I think doggman also had mentioned something about a match as well on that same thread.

sjcolu

i would also like to know the part number for front shaft u joints. mine is a 2004 rtv 900r model.
thanks
Joe

Mark.Sibole

you can use presision 392 on it.I re did mine 3 years back and have had no problems at all
ill search back and see if i can find the pics for you

Mark.Sibole

http://astronomy.qteaser.com/images/DS1.JPG
DS1.JPG

Mark.Sibole

The yoke is basically part of the shaft and can not be replaced.The U joint can be replaced if the yokes are good.The only option i know of for the damages yoke is filling it in with weld and re drilling it out.I cant remember if it is a cast yoke or not so your only option is to spend to 100 bucks for a new shaft.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Mark is right. If the splines are wallered out in the the yoke then the shaft will need to be replaced. Is the splined shaft it fits on in good shape ? I think I remember reading that the softer cast yolk wears faster than the harder steel shaft. They also make a replacement one piece shaft that eliminates the carrier bearing- which will probably need to be replaced before long. I think my first carrier went out at about 1800 hrs. ( The carrier bearing is where the front drive shaft meets the rear just under the seat.) Give the shaft a wiggle and check for movement there. The new one piece shafts are very pricy but last longer and are quieter.I won't know how long they last until my new style gives out. Good Luck, bordercollie

Last edited:

RydForLyf

The yoke is basically part of the shaft and can not be replaced.The U joint can be replaced if the yokes are good.The only option i know of for the damages yoke is filling it in with weld and re drilling it out.I cant remember if it is a cast yoke or not so your only option is to spend to 100 bucks for a new shaft.

This is the U-Joint at the transmission that runs forward to the carrier. This isn't the one under the driver's feet.

According to the Kubota parts diagram D14500 (http://www.kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx), the U-Joint assembly is available K7571-16820 ($99.50). The drive shaft is separate K7571-16830 ($78.54).

Kubota has individual part numbers for every piece of the assembly EXCEPT for the yokes. I was hoping there was a cheap and easy solution but actually the price isn't too outrageous since it comes with the U-Joint that I also need. And,,,,, it's already assembled too.

-RFL

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I never had to replace the rear one but did do the update to it with the rubber ring and stop- courtesy of Kubota. That was probably back in '06. The front one I replaced like 3 times in the 4000 hrs I had it- last time with Marks 392's u joints instead of buying from K.