Hydrostatic "slip"?

rtng

Hi, my rtv 900 will occasionally not move when I step on the pedal. I'm pretty sure the transmission is ok and engaged because it tries to move, and its hard to get out of gear when it happens, (same as always) New fluid and filters, sometimes does it cold, sometimes when warmed up. Engine revs up normally, but no go... thanks.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This, for me, often happens when I have to much of a load for H gear or perhaps on a steep slope. I don't often, keep applying power until it finally begins to creep a bit and then head out, as I am afraid of problems caused by doing this........Instead, when it doesn't go, I slap myself on the forehead, choose the correct gear, and get going........God bless.....Dennis

rtng

Thanks for the reply. It sometimes happens under no or very little load... and i almost always use medium gear unless pulling something, any idea what is "slipping"?

Kanook

I've never been a fan of Kubota tying the accelerator and HST pedal together. If you don't have the optional hand throttle on your unit....get one. By increasing your engine rpms independent of the HST will minimize the condition described...Our brains tend to want to make us stomp on the pedal to get 'more power' , which is opposite to what the HST pedal in effect does....it gives us more speed (higher gear) but the trade off is loss of power to the wheels. I use my hand throttle frequently, particularly when plowing snow.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you have 4WD and/or diff-lock engaged? The more wheels it's trying to turn, the harder time it has doing it. Can't speak for the new ones but in the early models, if you tried to back up (basically same gearing as M range) over a 4x4", you could do it in 2WD with no diff-lock. If you put it in 4WD and/or diff-lock, it wouldn't do it and give the same symptoms you're experiencing.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Just to add. The little bit of a pause, perhaps a second or so, before the transmission catches up with the engine is a pain sometimes. Especially so when backing up to connect a trailer onto the receiver ball or such. Easing up to my deer feeder to dump in a couple of bags of corn sometimes scares me half-to-death that I am gonna ram the flimsy tripod legs as I give in more throttle and then all of a sudden it kicks in........God bless......Dennis