Indicator Light for Differential Lock on RTV

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Has anyone designed an indicator light that reminds you that your diff lock is on?

I have only had to use my diff lock a few times but I am trying to avoid the dreaded "grenade effect" to the rear end or trans.

It should be possible to rig an arm-actuated switch that is clamped to the diff lock pedal. But before start, I wanted to see if its been done.

Thanks - Tony

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I rigged a “parking brake applied” indicator lamp for my Kubota tractor because I can’t seem to remember it until I recognize how much power has been required for the last 100 yds. Doh!

Anyway, if you need a “reminder you’re and idiot” light.... THIS product was found at O’Reillys auto parts and it’s exactly the thing because you can drill a 5/16” hole in the plastic panel and pop it into the hole.... AND...the little LED lamp FLASHES BRIGHTLY AND CONTINUOUSLY when power is applied to it. Here is a pic of it in it’s pkg ($6) and it’s the lamp in the upper-right of my tractor panel: (CLICK on the Pic-Icons to see the photos)

Attachments

• 97A1CDBE-B78F-4EDF-87C6-301E98982C37.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 30
  • BEDCCB92-ED5B-4487-9845-DB2BAB12252E.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: Doc

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doesn't your diff lock disengage automatically once you remove your foot from the pedal? Mine does either immediately or within a few seconds.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Doesn't your diff lock disengage automatically once you remove your foot from the pedal? Mine does either immediately or within a few seconds.
Unless you also use the Diff-Lock Pull-Knob.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Correct...when I start a long climb on a wet service road, I usually lock the diff and pull up the handle. Most of the time I remember to take it off but all it takes is seeing a nice buck or some other distraction and I forget. I will try that LED George, thanks.

Tony

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Correct...when I start a long climb on a wet service road, I usually lock the diff and pull up the handle. Most of the time I remember to take it off but all it takes is seeing a nice buck or some other distraction and I forget. I will try that LED George, thanks.

Tony
One of the pleasant surprises of that little lamp is it BLINKS continuously.... if it’s activated and WITHIN YOUR FIELD OF VIEW.... you cannot ignore it.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
It's ordered, thank you. Now I will just have to figure out best way to trigger it with the motion of the diff lock pedal. Shouldn't be too difficult.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
How did you activate it?
Peter
My Kubota tractor has a lever to pull up when the brakes are applied to lock the brake pedal in the applied position.
I welded a short bracket which I’d drilled to accept a Normally Open button-switch. The switch is depressed when the lever is pulled up onto it’s locked position. The light is powered by the “hot” side of the key-switch. If the key is ON and the parking brake lever is pulled up (which activates the switch) the little lamp blinks-blinks-blinks.......

Attachments

• DB677628-7E00-45D5-9739-AFB87D0AED31.jpeg
    DB677628-7E00-45D5-9739-AFB87D0AED31.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 48372F80-E1B8-4B32-8D97-960752657CC4.jpeg
    48372F80-E1B8-4B32-8D97-960752657CC4.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 15

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
OK.. WEll, go to THIS KUBOTA TRACTOR FORUM and you can see better pics and better description of how I did it:

AND here is a VIDEO of it blinking: (You’ll likely have to click on the arrow a couple times to get it to play...but it will show you the flast-rate of the lamp.). https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=eDdtaERBNUZFUGdsb3pNbTRpMWtCSWo5bWNOTGVR

FURTHER YOU COULD ADD a loud BEEPER. Go search for a “sonalert”. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Sonalert&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Last edited: