IT has SPRUNG

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Here in NW Georgia I spend a lot of time outdoors doing the typical work that needs to be done to keep livestock happy, wood stove fed, get the garden ready, and maintain the equipment one uses to do all of the above.

FINALLY in the last few days, since Monday, I am seeing huge flocks of geese wheeling around in the sky gathering more and more of their kin. After perhaps 200 or more of them pull together in 30 minutes or so of this, a V forms and they head north............Fantastic to see this as historically around here it's a sure sign of southerly winds, warmer trending days, and budding trees.............THANKS God, made it through another winter..............

Dennis

Pinnacle

Here in NW Georgia I spend a lot of time outdoors doing the typical work that needs to be done to keep livestock happy, wood stove fed, get the garden ready, and maintain the equipment one uses to do all of the above.

FINALLY in the last few days, since Monday, I am seeing huge flocks of geese wheeling around in the sky gathering more and more of their kin. After perhaps 200 or more of them pull together in 30 minutes or so of this, a V forms and they head north............Fantastic to see this as historically around here it's a sure sign of southerly winds, warmer trending days, and budding trees.............THANKS God, made it through another winter..............

Dennis

Amen Dennis ! I am just across the range from you to the East near Ellijay, and it has been getting quite nice here as well. Glad to see Spring making it's way in, been allot more snow here this year than what has been "normal"

Onfoot

Got a while to go in our neck of the woods. We are getting some lovely sunny days (307 amp hours produced by my photovoltaics today), but it was -40 this morning (same in C and F). Had the RTV out plowing yesterday afternoon, but was only about -12F, so short-sleeve weather. :)

Kanook

Tell those geese to circle in a holding pattern...still winter up here where they're heading.

rem

not yet

Minus 30 here. Only 60 more days until motorsickel weather.

Any geese here now would be dead ducks. RR

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
It got into the 50's for 2 days but snow is in the forecast for the next 3 days. We still have a foot or more on the ground but at least most of the ice has melted. Spring will be a few months away for us.

Kanook

My bass boat is still buried with snow, no spring in sight yet here. :bonk:

Hope you pulled it out of the water last Autumn beforw the freeze up...:yum:...

Gotta' feel for those poor southern folk and the brutal winters they endure.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Hope you pulled it out of the water last Autumn beforw the freeze up...:yum:...

Gotta' feel for those poor southern folk and the brutal winters they endure.

That's why we stay down here. Not many people head north for the winter. :)

Just to let you know, it was freezing all last week in East Texas. This week it's in the 70's. I look a bit silly working outside in thermal underwear, T-shirt and shorts. You never know when it's going to turn cold again and I like to be prepared. :thumb::thumb:

shvl73

58* yesterday & now it's 18* with strong gusty winds & sporadic power outages. Should be approaching 0* tonight. New England weather keeps us on our toes. Let's hope March is good to us!

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
At least the wind has died down to under 30mph. Yesterday was crazy around here. High gust was 54 mph and it brought down a lot of trees and branches. The sap was just getting running good and I am sure that a bunch of tubing got knocked down in the woods. Now they are calling for 6"+ of snow tonight with maybe a freezing rain on top of it.

Kanook

At least the wind has died down to under 30mph. Yesterday was crazy around here. High gust was 54 mph and it brought down a lot of trees and branches. The sap was just getting running good and I am sure that a bunch of tubing got knocked down in the woods. Now they are calling for 6"+ of snow tonight with maybe a freezing rain on top of it.

The sap is starting already???

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
The sap was running but it may have been a bit too early as we got sub zero again yesterday and down to 2 this morning. I saw 2 places cooking off the past few days. If it warms some the next few days they will be getting it going again. Waiting for some more snow Thursday night and Friday.

vintovka1

Supposed to snow here in N. Calif and maybe even SF (that would be fun to watch!) 6" of snow in SF would probably be a "killer storm". As diesel and propane climbs beyond $4.19 gallon should make things interesting.

Onfoot

Supposed to snow here in N. Calif and maybe even SF (that would be fun to watch!) 6" of snow in SF would probably be a "killer storm". As diesel and propane climbs beyond $4.19 gallon should make things interesting.

Been paying $4.73 a gallon for diesel all winter up here. Expect to see it at $4.80 or more when I go into town today... Highest we've paid was about $5.10 a couple of winter's ago. (Converting price per litre to equivalent per US gallon.)

Re. weather, clear and bright today, with slight wind. Calling for a high of 19F, with windchill of -25F. Spring is on its way!

DIXIEDOG

It's sprung all right....here's a pic of my boat from this morning

DSCF0371.jpg

Onfoot

This morning it's -36F, but a brilliant blue sky and sun above the horizon at 8:30ish--so yes, Spring is coming. :)

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Our spring was a one day affair! Warmed up and rained like mad on top of 2 ft. of snow. Washouts all over the roads from frozen ditches and culverts. Ice jams on creeks and rivers shut down a lot of roads completely and flooded some towns. We have ruts over a ft. deep in some of the town roads and with the quick freeze last night ice patches are everywhere. Driving is a real hazard right now.

Kanook

Our spring was a one day affair! Warmed up and rained like mad on top of 2 ft. of snow. Washouts all over the roads from frozen ditches and culverts. Ice jams on creeks and rivers shut down a lot of roads completely and flooded some towns. We have ruts over a ft. deep in some of the town roads and with the quick freeze last night ice patches are everywhere. Driving is a real hazard right now.

Fortunately for our area, what you got as rain, we received mostly as snow with a bit of freezing rain thrown in. Hard for all that water to get away with the ground frozen still ..... I can imagine the mess.

Hang in there.....