John Deere 3005 No start

Dead2Reality

Hey all, new around here. I have done everything I know how to do so far and have now turned to the interwebs for help. I have a JD 3005 compact utility tractor that won't start and I don't want to blindly throw parts at it. I was running it just fine and turned it off to talk to someone and now it won't start again. The tractor has been parked next to the house for 2 weeks now and still won't start so it has had time to cool down. Also when trying to get it to start, clicking the key left to warm the glow plug results in all power being lost to the dashboard. When the key is turned 1 click to the right sometimes the dash will light up and other times it faintly lights up then lights up after about a minute of waiting. When the key is turned to the start position with the spring back mechanism, all power is lost on the dash and nothing happens. no noise no nothing. I have tested with a digital multimeter that the battery is sitting at about 13 volts. the voltage is the same as the battery at the starter. I replaced the starter and have checked all the fuses in the fuse box and still have the same problem. Questions, comments or solutions are more than welcome and thanks in advance.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This has happened to me before - cutting off the compact tractor quickly to talk_- and then it wouldn't start. Nothing... First time it was because the pto was on and the next time I had left it in gear. If you have safety switches it might be something like that also. I'd wiggle the shifter and make sure that the pto is off to begin with. also could maybe be a bad ground connection?

Dead2Reality

I just bypassed the seat safety switch and tried again with wiggling stick and PTO around and still no dice....is there a way to bypass the neutral safety switch in order to rule that out as a cause for the problem?

Smilingreen

Check your frame ground and check any main wire harnesses the have a plug and receptacle connector on them. My 5055D did that on me. Found a wire pin in the connector that had backed out. Reseated the pin and everything worked.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK, I'll go in a different direction. You didn't say the age of your tractor but...
Battery cables can look good on the outside but are rotted out in the inside. You can see volts but they can't deliver amps.
Run jumper cables in parallel to the battery cables. To ground and to starter. In my experience, it's the ground/black wire that goes bad but test them both.