Kubota RTV 1100 won't re-start after shut down

flybikedave

My RTV 1100 starts fine when cold and then runs great. But after shutting it off, when I come back to it 15 to 30 minutes later, it won't start and acts like it is vapor or air locked. Doesn't happen every time, but seems to be happening more now than before. I have to crank and crank before one cylinder seems to come on line, then another, and then finally all three. When it does start back up and all three cylinders come on line, it again runs great. It just happened again and I tried bleeding the injector lines, but found no air in the system and it still wouldn't start. I crank so long that I have to let the starter cool off for awhile and today ran the battery low. I've got a clear fuel filter and can see no air at all in the filter. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

flybikedave

I finally got someone to crank while I bled the injector lines and there is definitely air in the system. No fuel leaks, filter new and full of fuel. Water temps are normal and engine has cooled off enough to touch. I bled all three lines and kept getting air bubbles and no start. But I promise, after it cools off, it will start again. That makes no sense to me. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I've been using glow plugs before start, no difference. I own three Kubotos and and 12 other diesel engines but have never seen this before.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Have you done anything under the hood lately? Something sure don't sound right. It just started doing this out of the blue, and you've owned the RTV for a while with no issues, right?
Sorry no help other than questions ....I had a sears push mower like that. Drove me bonkers. Called it the mower with the built in break, but I just wanted to get the freaking job finished, I didn't want a break.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
How old is it? I would check the fuel lines for tightness and even replace them if very old. I had some fuel problem on a tractor and skid steer years ago and it was the fuel lines sucking air. In my case though, the machines (all diesels) would have to crank and crank to push up fuel to the engine. Then, it would do the same later that day after being off or the next morning as well. A person with good hearing, can hear a mosquito type noise sometimes. It may not even show up as a leak but will let air in.
Our fuel pump just went out on the 7420 JD and it started idling rough at times, later that week snap , it wouldn't crank. replaced it ourselves and fine now. I would look at the fuel lines for sure though.. all the way from the tank to where it ends. collie

John in VC

My RTV 1100 had the same problem. I replaced the short fuel line between the fuel pump and injector pump. The line looked good,but when I got it off and held over a bright light and bent it around you could see tiny cracks in it. I guess just enough to let air in the line.

flybikedave

Thanks for all your replies. This afternoon, it wouldn't restart even when cold, for the first time. Again I bled the injector lines and again more air bubbles. Like one of you said, I suspected fuel lines, or possibly fuel pump/primer. Just to be certain it was not the injector pump, I bypassed the fuel pump and installed an old ONAN electric, low pressure fuel pump I found in my junk drawer. I used all of the existing fuel lines. Bled the lines and it fired right up. I'll test it further tomorrow, but I suspect the fuel pump / primer pump is sucking air. Thanks again.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
No doubt. It's sucking air from somewhere.
No more than it cost. I would replace lines anyway, before unbolting anything.

......... two guns

Attachments

• Wiley Lightning Strike.jpg
    Wiley Lightning Strike.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 267

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
When you replace the fuel lines get some new clamps too. those can sometime fail and not be tight enough, especially the squeeze ones.. collie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'd start with checking the clamps at the fuel filter since you just changed the filter and now the problem started.

cov62431

If you can't get it fixed after addressing the fuel system and delivery, take a look at the engine stop solenoid. The stop solenoid on the 1100 is different from the one on the 900. It uses "internal" governor linkage to kill the motor by stopping the fuel flow through the injector pump. It's a solenoid so if the plunger gets "sticky" it could give you similar symptoms to an engine not firing on all cylinders (not allow the governor to operate properly).

flybikedave

Thanks for your reply. I believe the problem has been resolved with the replacement of the fuel pump, however I haven't put much time on it yet. First I cleaned the tank and replaced all fuel lines and filter, but the problem returned and it took forever to get it primed because the fuel pump would not pick up fuel. A $28 eBay replacement seems to have fixed the problem. I did try to eliminate the fuel shut off, but could not find the solenoid. I understand linkage is internal, but where is the fuel shut off solenoid?

cov62431

If you are standing on the passenger side looking at the injector pump follow the pump housing to the left (toward the rear) and you will see a round solenoid with a greenish rubber boot on the rear of the solenoid. It's mounted on the back side of the injector pump housing. The rubber boot is the easiest way to identify it. Hope this helps you.

jimstrax

Hello everybody...I'm having the exact problem with my 1100 as flybikedave did. It started out not starting after you let it set for 15 or 20 minutes after it reached operating temperature and it kept getting worse. It always would start after it cooled down. This morning it won't start at all and it sat over night. It has a new filter, the tank is full, I put a new lift pump in about a year ago, the rubber lines look good but I haven't replaced them yet (I will). I bought it used, don't know what year it is. Help! jimstrax

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It could be the fuel lines may be letting air seep in. I had that happen to several diesel pieces of equipment.I posted about it on a thread here. Replacing the lines are a cheaper place to start also look good at the hose clamps.It might also be the solenoid .On a older 900, it is near the oil filler cap but closer to the cab. I just bumped a thread a few days ago with a picture of it. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums...=stop+solenoid . collie

this is also something to consider. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13900&highlight=fuel+line

Last edited:

herman48

Boy, when I read of all of the glitches and problems a lot of you have been having with your 1100's, from fuel lines to U-joints, from hard-to-shift gears to loss of power, from the thingy that leaks to the gizmo that refuses to spin, I begin to regret having bought one. Most of you are master mechanics, while I have trouble changing the battery in a smoke detector or tightening the plastic bolts that connect the toilet seat and lid to the toilet! And I don't have a trailer big enough to tow the Kubota to the dealer's, so I have to ask them to come and pick it up and then return it--at $40.00 one-way. Eighty dollars to add to the repair or maintenance bill every single time...

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Herman, I feel your pain and can relate totally. I'm an IT guy for a reason. I'm not gifted mechanically. I've only had my 06 RTV900 to the dealership once (I've owned it 2 1/2 years). And I doubt you have to take yours in very often, so don't fret. But I do have a little advice ....I already happened to own a 6x12 trailer with a ramp. The ramp was one of those wire ones, not real strong so I use 2x12's about 6' long over top of the ramp as running boards to drive up onto the trailer. Mine is just a simple single axle trailer, you can find them anywhere. I would invest in one of those because besides taking her into the doctors you might want to take her somewhere else to do a little riding. The trailer will come in very handy.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Herman

A 6x12 is about the "right size" for the RTV. Be advised that most are rated at 3000# gross so you'll be right around that mark with the RTV on it.

Don't worry about the RTV. Mine is now 11 years old. It's never been in the shop but it doesn't have bordercollie hours or a snowplow attached.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
On the starting issue............For me, this started happening maybe 6 months or so ago. Tried mostly all of the above stuff and then what worked????..............When this happens, so intermittently, I push down the throttle perhaps 1/4 inch and get instant starting. WHO KNOWS.......??????? WHO CARES???? It works for me. When I put in a battery perhaps a couple of months after it started doing this, the problem almost totally went away; but still is a sometimes thing......................

I totally agree with Doc and Zoom about a trailer. For anything like that, watch craigslist a couple of times a week and I bet within 3 or 4 months you will find what you want at the price you want..................God bless.......Dennis