Kubota RTV900 Engine

Kaptain

Lost the # 1 piston in one of the RTV's last week. Looking to get a reman or used engine. Anyone have any suggestions where to look before I call my local dealer and pay through the nose?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Kaptain

I tore the engine down last Friday. The cylinder closest to the back of the engine is the bad one. Now that I think of it, it's probably #3. Either way my options are: rebuild the bottom end or get a reman engine. So far from what I have found, rebuilding the engine will be far less expensive. I guess I will have to tear down the rest of the engine and price out a gasket kit and whatever else it may need. However, I really don't have a shop to do this in; I was hoping a reman would have been a bit more affordable. I could pull the engine and have it rebuilt, but I am willing to bet the labor will probably put us close to the reman price.
I may just have to pull it and rebuild it in the garage at my house. Yippee..

In case your wondering, the problem with the engine was that it had a terrible clanking noise; they thought it was valve train. Ya right, it's way to loud to be a ticking valve. I pulled the head, rotated the engine, everything looked ok other than I could see visually that #3 was getting coolant (it was clean). Pushed the top of the clean piston and it dropped about 1/2 inch. So my guess is the wrist pin is broke, or maybe the connecting rod broke/ came loose. The RTV probably sat long enough to accumulate enough coolent in the cylinder to cause hydro lock, and itstead of locking it broke.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
it's always good to add some 2 stroke motor oil to the fuel tank .these days with this new low sulfur diesel it tears stuff up because of low lubricants in it .i run about a quart in my truck at every fill up and i'm sure it won't hurt to add a pint or two to the rtv fuel tank.

Mark.Sibole

Diesel fuel conditioner also works well for it it eliminates any moisture and adds lubricants to the fuel that they took out when they went to the low sulfer fuel
I always us it no matter what