Loading RTV 500 in 6.5ft bed.

kubotamike

Hello. Looking to take my Kubota for a bit of a trip. Wondering if anyone has had experience in loading one. I have a 2013 F-150 with a 6.5ft box. I am concerned that the tailgate will not support the aluminum ramps when driving it in. I plan on having planks under the rear tires. Any thoughts welcome.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know about the 500, but the Ford tailgate should be easy to take off. Ours will anyway. Just mash the clip on the tail gate cables and they should come right off the stub there on the side, then a matter of raising one corner of the gate and it should come right out of the other end "holder".

travisd

Watch your weights - the RTV500 is 1200-1300 stock. The 2013 F-150 payload capacity is 1,046 to 1,988 lbs, and that includes not just what's in the bed, but passengers too.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

Have you pulled the RTV beside the truck to see how it's going to fit in the bed? The RTV is about 9' long and I'm wondering how well it will fit in a 6.5' bed. Also, you'll have to probably drive over (or park on) the wheel wells. If you are able to get the RTV over the wheel well, will it go "belly up" on the wheel wells?

Any chance of buying or borrowing a trailer?

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
With a width of 55" approx and a wheelbase of 71" the distance from the front of the front wheel to the center of the rear wheel would be about 83" or 6 3/4 ft. Add another foot or so from the front of the tire to the bumper etc on the front and the rear wheels are hanging in space. I guess one could use the planks but how do you get the 500 on the truck with planks in place. With the tailgate in place it might fit but I wouldn't trust the tailgate to handle the weight. If a cable snaps you will get to test the ROPS though.

BC also makes a good point about high centering on the wheel wells.

I'm not saying it's impossible but I can see issues that would make it more dangerous than I'd like to attempt.

Hate be a downer on your first post but I like the trailer idea although when I was younger I did some crazy things with pickup trucks but no more.

Welcome.

Kanook

"although when I was younger I did some crazy things with pickup trucks"

Ain't that the truth? Fond memories came pouring back when I read that.

Fitch

Rent a trailer if this is a one time thing. Buy a trailer if it's going to be a regular event.

Fitch

rapracing

I wouldn't try it. Get a 5x10 trailer and do it right (make sure the trailer is a heavy enough weight classification)

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I misinterpreted the question.. I'd never drive with the tailgate supporting anything. even with boards under it..getting it over the fenders would be dangerous .. Too much to go wrong.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Wondering what happened to the OP???????..........did he/she crash and burn????............Is this another "one entry hero"???............

Lots of valid stuff here.........for me, I was gonna make sure that the trailer had at least 2 wheels and those 12" tires are at least up to 10 PSI...............God bless.....Dennis

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've had good luck loading 4 wheelers in my truck bed by finding a hill to back into to make the ramp shorter and closer to being level. Sure makes it easier than going up a very steep ramp.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lots of valid stuff here.........for me, I was gonna make sure that the trailer had at least 2 wheels and those 12" tires are at least up to 10 PSI...............God bless.....Dennis
2 wheels is good. It sucks trying to balance the load on less than 2. :whistling: :yum:

12" wheels normally have a load range of B and around a 900-1100# capacity. Too light for hauling a RTV IMHO. If you find a 5x10' trailer with 12" wheels, run away from it. Those tires shouldn't be on anything bigger than a 4x6' trailer.

A 5x10' should have at least 14" and preferably 15" on it.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Kubotamike:

Welcome to the RTV Forum.

It looks like it boils down to this Kubotamike; " What you could do vs. What you should do" Always err on the side of safety. Good luck on your trip.

Keifer

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

HOPE YOU FOLKS KNOW>>>>>>>>>KNOW.......that this is entirely in jest or sarcasm......Another fellow on here suggests that I don't know the difference and tries to correct my thinking/doing...........Wishing I would hear positive advice rather than put-downs............

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
HOPE YOU FOLKS KNOW>>>>>>>>>KNOW.......that this is entirely in jest or sarcasm......Another fellow on here suggests that I don't know the difference and tries to correct my thinking/doing...........Wishing I would hear positive advice rather than put-downs............

Personally, I wish I had thought of the 2-wheel comment. I laughed when I saw it.

The rest was just good advice. Life's to short to not see a little occasional humor and share it. Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I misinterpreted the question.. I'd never drive with the tailgate supporting anything. even with boards under it..getting it over the fenders would be dangerous .. Too much to go wrong.
Good point BC. Ditto here.