Newbie Need Info..

Moejoe

New to the forum so I posted under the wrong header but still got good advice.New RTV 900 owner. I justed added a winch which I have not hooked up yet. Also going to add a LED light bar. I noticed several vacant plugs under the hood. Are any of those capable of handling the light bar. Looks like I need a 20 amp switched circuit. I plan on running a separate relayed circuit for the winch.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What year is yours???.....Mine is an 05 and I don't remember any wiring large enough to carry 20 amps under the hood. Lots of folks, including myself, figure out a way to fabricate a switch panel that will run their future wiring needs and then run their accessories out of that.......Did your winch come with it's own wiring harness and switches???..........

Am sure that others will come on soon telling you just how to do it........God bless.....Dennis

Moejoe

I just bought it new last week. I plan on running a #4 cable and fusing it at 50 amps to a secondary fuse block which will be mounted under the hood. From there I should be able to power any accessories.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi and welcome. One of those plugs under the hood is for the speedometer power source. On my lights, I wired through my homemade console 10 button switch. It has a circuit breaker for each switch and then an inline fuse coming from the battery. I also but several of the pig tails in different places so can hook up sprayers etc . This way, I can turn them on with the flip of a switch. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15492&highlight=console bordercollie

Moejoe,
I mounted a winch and led lights on the front and back. I didn't mount a switch (for the winch) on the dash because my friend put a switch on dash, and while his grandkids were riding on it....they would play with the switch and broke his book off the cable twice. I also figured if I ever wanted to sell the rtv..I might have holes on the dash where the extra buttons etc...were at. Mine are behind the front seat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

Moejoe

Hey folks thanks for all the help and suggestions. I ended up running a #6 cable fused at 50 amps from my battery to a fuse block which I mounted under the hood.I then bought a wireless remote and reversing solonoid. Seems to work well so far. Also now I have several fused circuit s for lights ect. Also as a newbie is there something I need to do to thank folks other than put it in the post? Some kind of button or icon. I noticed that it says I have not thanked anyone??

Moejoe

Never mind the thanks button... I figured it out?? Also just FYI. I have ordered a hand throttle kit. I was told if I used it to keep the RPMs up and control my speed with the foot pedal it would hold speed better. I love the machine but it seems the hydrstat kills the speed. Any one else doing this?

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Glad that you got it going Bud.......YOU will discover new uses for the machine every day and even worse is that you will figure out stuff you need; but perhaps have to wait a bit for the time, energy, and money to actually do it.......God bless.....Dennis

ovrszd

Never mind the thanks button... I figured it out?? Also just FYI. I have ordered a hand throttle kit. I was told if I used it to keep the RPMs up and control my speed with the foot pedal it would hold speed better. I love the machine but it seems the hydrstat kills the speed. Any one else doing this?

Yep. Added a Hand Throttle to mine. In steep terrain or when pulling a heavy load I set the rpms and then control ground speed with foot pedal. Works a lot better. Here's a link to an install thread I posted.

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16686

Mark.Sibole

For accessorys and other current hogs I ran some number 2 from the battery acroff the frame and came into the hood area then up the side or the rops to a top consol I made Like Bordercollie's and added another fuse panel there.This way I can grab electric from that panel for accessorys.From there i have a 8 switch panel and 3 cigarette lighter plugs to run all of my lighting and 12 volt to 120 volt inverter rated at 500 watts for smaller electrical devices.Hope this helps...

ovrszd

Does the 50 hr service call for hydraulic oil change or.just the filters?

My RTV900 Work Shop Manual says:

Change Engine Oil
Replace Engine Oil Filter
Change Transmission Oil
Replace both Transmission Oil Filters

Edit: Just in case you are talking about the other oil systems. The WSM does not call for the hydraulic dump oil to be changed until 200 hours.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I change everything being used on a new machine. There are usually fine grinds in there from the machine breaking in. I seldom use my dump bed so as Over also said, I don't change that. The front end is something to think about too. The knuckle cases and front case - They don't take much oil and give piece of mind. The fill plug for the center case is right behind the winch area on a 900. The knuckle cases are easy to change with the wheels off especially. collie

ovrszd

You might or might not find this information valuable.

I bought a Work Shop Manual for my RTV900 electronically online. I love it and use it all the time. Very detailed. Over 400 pages. I even took the time to print it and put it in a 3 ring binder. Much handier to use when working on the RTV than going back to the computer all the time. I paid $10 for it. Here's a link to the website where I purchased it.

http://kubota.servicemanualvault.com/

Moejoe

Thanks: I will most definitely look at this. Also for everyone considering ordering a hand throttle kit, they are on backorder from Kubota. Could not find one from a dealer anywhere.

ovrszd

Also for everyone considering ordering a hand throttle kit, they are on backorder from Kubota. Could not find one from a dealer anywhere.

Bummer. I got mine thru Messick's. I think they ordered it from Kubota, shipped directly to me. Took about 10 days.

Moejoe

Just a update. Got the winch and hand throttle installed. Both are great options. Using the hand throttle to pull hills with is a great help.I also use it on these cold Tennessee morning to warm the machine up while I am doing something else. So far I really liked the machine. I have about 25 hrs on it so far. It is definitely not as fast or agile as the 825 gator that we have but it is a good machine. The only time I don't like is when we are trying to heard cattle. Hate being out run by a calf!