Oil change blunder

Goat Fan

Changing the oil and filter for the first time on my RTV X-1120 at 62 hours.
When I went to add the oil I put 1/2 quart 10w-30 in the "OIL" filler before realizing that was the trans oil filler neck. What a bonehead!
I have already changed both of the trans filters and fluid at 50 hours, do I need to do it again now?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would for sure change the trans filter in question.
Was the machine run after the mistake?

Goat Fan

Only ran it to check for oil leak after changing oil. I could see changing the trans fluid but why the filters too?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not sure which is right but for a piece of equipment that expensive I would cut no corners.
I'll admit, I am guessing. I am not a mechanic and am not sure of what if anything that oil might hurt. Maybe you can run without doing anything. I'm not sure. but I prefer to be better safe than sorry with a 20k + RTV.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I sincerely doubt it would make any difference whatsoever for such a small amount.

Goat Fan

Thanks geohorn. I ended up replacing the fluid but not the filters just to be safe. Definitely wont make that mistake again!..I hope lol

Reactions: Doc

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Hydraulic oil is a low-viscosity oil (SAE 10-20) with anti-friction and temperature stabilizers
Your engine oil is a 10W30 multi-viscosity oil (behaves predominately as SAE 10) with anti-friction, dispersant, and temperature stabilizer.
Both sometimes contain conditioners for oil seals and gaskets.
(Think of dispersant as an anti-foaming cleaner… it keeps dirt and particles suspended until the filter removes the larger ones and/or the oil is drained at the next change. Since the transmission does not develop combustion by-products (carbon and dirt) … I cannot imagine how engine oil in such a small qty can cause any issue. In fact, some simple hydraulic systems use ordinary engine oil as the fluid.)

Goat Fan

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it. Will definitely rest easier. I didnt think it should be a big deal but didnt want to risk it not knowing for sure.