RTV 1140

buckle97

I'm new to the RTV area of this forum but I'm seriously considering getting a new RTV 1140. I've driven one extensively at my dealer and I really like it. I'm looking for opinions on which Kubota accessories I should get or avoid because they aren't worth it. Any other advice you want to give me about the RTV's I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance,
Lawrence

Onfoot

Welcome to the Forum, Lawrence. I don't have an 1140, but I do love my RTV900. The members here will be able to give you lots of advice. Given that the 1140 comes with a cab, my positive experience with top and windscreen is not really relevant. I also have the OEM 3000lb (Warn) winch and (Curtis) plow, with which I am quite satisfied. I think others will suggest a bigger winch and more sophisticated plows. But you will get lots of good advice! You are making a good choice for a long-lasting and work-worthy piece of equipment.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Lawrence

As we discussed elsewhere, I like the plastic roof. I wouldn't recommend the under-the-hood tool box for $150. If others can chime in with their thoughts on storage and roofs, buckle would appreciate it.

Something that's pretty important is your tire selection. What are your driving conditions? The worksite tires do NOT like slick surfaces. An inch of slick clay may be enough to render you stuck.

What are your main uses for a RTV? We may have some specific ideas on options & accessories, techniques, "gotcha's" and such knowing your usage.

buckle97

Good point about the tires. I hadn't given that much thought. I will mainly be driving in pasture and also on some very mild trails in my woods. Most of the areas stay pretty dry but like anywhere a big rain can make mud pretty quickly. I understand the RTV is heavy but I don't want to get tires that will get me stuck unnecessarily. I plan to use the RTV for hauling various things in the bed and also to just ride around my property for pleasure.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The OEM ATV tires may be a good choice (and the dealer should give you your choice, free of charge).

Onfoot

Shows how much I know!

Just for clarification the 1140 does not come with a cab as the 1100 does.

Thanks for the clarification. I just assumed that all the 1100's had cabs--but had completely zoned out on the 1140 being the 'back-seat' version.

That being the case, I would strongly recommend the OEM plastic roof. It is nearly indestructible (and mine has had some heavy encounters with overhanging trees that would have dented a metal roof and broken anything less robust). I would also recommend the glass OEM windshield.

BCZoom has raised good points about the tires. I have the worksite tires and am quite happy with them, using chains in the winter. They are not much help in mud, but I don't encounter much mud. I appreciate that they do not tear up my woods trails as much as the ATV tires would.

I also would recommend a good set of lights on the top, facing back and front. Mine were installed by the dealer and I do not know the mfr. They are simple, have a guard to provide some protection against branches, and switch on and off at the back of the lights--not in the cab. So not as convenient as some that the guys are using, but suit me fine.

I also had a bed-liner sprayed on by a local shop. Been very happy with the results.

Attaching a photo of my set up, with snowblower attached.

Attachments

• RTV900-versatile-snowblower.jpg
    RTV900-versatile-snowblower.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 239

buckle97

I am leaning towards the ATV tires for my terrain. It also sounds like the platic canopy is best. I would have guessed the metal top would be better but I do plan to go in the woods and don't want to dent up a metal one. How are the power wired run to the lights on the roof? Are they run up the side of the roll bar? I also think a glass windshield will be best based on the scratching of the plastic I have read about.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lawrence,

How tall is the garage door you're going to store this in? I put lights on the top of mine and now can't go into a regular height garage door.

EDIT TO ADD: I ran my wire up the back of the cage, inside SCH-40 that I bent to follow contours. Not sure if you could do that with an 1140.

Attachments

• CIMG4941.jpg
    CIMG4941.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 237

buckle97

How tall is the garage door you're going to store this in? I put lights on the top of mine and now can't go into a regular height garage door.

I have a few different sheds that I might park the 1140 in and none of them have actual garage doors, just openings. I hope to build a new barn in the future and the RTV would have a dedicated spot.

DIXIEDOG

The OEM ATV tires may be a good choice (and the dealer should give you your choice, free of charge).

Around here it's $200 cheaper to buy the RTV with the ATV tires. Definitely what I would suggest, I have the worksite tires and they stink out loud in mud, the dealer talked me into them saying they were a much better tire and if I got the atv tires I would likely encounter flats all the time.

Kanook

If the 1140 does not come standard with the hand throttle, it is something I'd recommend. I find my 900 to be more user friendly since I put one on my unit.

Onfoot

Also forgot to mention Tommy Two Guns boot guards. Very useful to protect your front axle boots--much better than stock and good investment, esp. if you are doing work in the woods. I am sure you can find lots of info on the forum if you do a search on boot guards.

buckle97

If the 1140 does not come standard with the hand throttle, it is something I'd recommend. I find my 900 to be more user friendly since I put one on my unit.

What exactly is a hand throttle on an RTV? I guess I have never seen one.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's a locking hand throttle that lets you adjust the engine's RPM's independent from the foot pedal. Quite handy at times when you want/need the RPM's kept up a bit higher.

buckle97

It's a locking hand throttle that lets you adjust the engine's RPM's independent from the foot pedal. Quite handy at times when you want/need the RPM's kept up a bit higher.

So it's not for driving without using the foot pedal? All it does is keep the engine RPM's up?

doggman

We had the ATV tires and they did way too much damage in our wet areas and on turf. We switched to the Worksite tires and they leave a much lighter footprint. Even in the our wet areas, we have never been stuck with the Worksite tires. Other people get stuck on dry pavement with them. I think it's just the driving technique and what you're used to doing. And, come to think of it, in 6 years we've never had a flat.
We built a plywood box to fit in the bed so that we can haul large rock and gravel without denting the metal bed. On our next RTV (March 2011 when the new trans is available) we'll probably spray the bed with liner material for rust purposes then put in a wooden box.
We would like a 1140 but the turning radius is too large for our levees and dams.

Kanook

We had the ATV tires and they did way too much damage in our wet areas and on turf. We switched to the Worksite tires and they leave a much lighter footprint. Even in the our wet areas, we have never been stuck with the Worksite tires. Other people get stuck on dry pavement with them. I think it's just the driving technique and what you're used to doing. And, come to think of it, in 6 years we've never had a flat.
We built a plywood box to fit in the bed so that we can haul large rock and gravel without denting the metal bed. On our next RTV (March 2011 when the new trans is available) we'll probably spray the bed with liner material for rust purposes then put in a wooden box.
We would like a 1140 but the turning radius is too large for our levees and dams.

What's the scoop on that "new trans" in March 2011??????