Rtv 900 transmission problem

aCanadian

Hey guys,

This is my first time on the forum and I hope I'm going to get some help here. Full disclosure I am not terribly mechanical so I will do my best to describe this.

I have an rtv 900 2007 and the transmission is not working properly. Or at all for that matter. I have scoured this forum and see a lot of problems with transmissions being stuck in gear and the hear shift lever is hard to move, this is not that problem. There is no resistance at all. The transmission is stuck in forward (L) and if I put it in L and let go of the handle the lever will literally drop into reverse (R) without changing the actual gears.

I did the obvious, I popped the hood and checked linkages and they appear fine even underneath the back box. Now picture this if you can, the linkage that controls the up and down (L -> R)(M -> /H) connects at a 90° angle to an arm that turn a rod in a casing. If you are still with me, that rod (probably 1.5 inches by 8 inches, trying to do it off memory probably wrong dimensions but it's a substantial piece of solid metal) is totally free floating inside its casing. I can pull it 3 or 4 inches towards the passenger side of the vehicle. I'm assuming this isn't right, any ideas or is this going to be a dealer sort of fix?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like it is broken off, and free floating.
Just a guess but we'll see what the experts have to say when they find this thread.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi and welcome. Are the nuts still tight on the slots that hold each cable? You may just need a new cable if so. I would trace it back to where it connects to the transmission and go to Messick's site and see from the online parts book there. edit:I just reread your post, Does the rod you are speaking of still have the clip in the end as shown in my picture? It would sure slide without that. These pictures are off my 2011 but if memory serves correctly they are the same or close. let us know, bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF4689.jpg
    DSCF4689.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

aCanadian

Its stuck up at the top of my property in the snow, I will go snap a couple photos to give you guys a better idea what I am talking about.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is there another person that can walk up there with you? If you can have someone play with the shift lever while you trace the cables you may see something. Or, at least they can hold the neutral safety switch so you can start it and drive it home.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Jump the neutral switch and drive it home. Sounds like one of the little pins fell out of the lever links. After 5 years I found one of these little hairpins on the floor of mine. It is still in the cup holder and I have never figured if it was dropped at assembly or actually came out of its cross hole in one of the linkage pins. Hope you have somewhere warm to work on it.

cov62431

If it is stuck in gear I would check your shift shaft. That is the rod in the housing under the bed that I believe your referring to. There is a shift rod that rides in a saddle just like in tractors. That rod can come out of the "saddle" if you try to shift to quick (usually wheen shifting crossways). Try to use your shift lever and see if that rod even moves corresponding to you moving the shift lever. If it does I would look there.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Hello & Welcome to the forum .....

NOW, Get it off the hill out of the snow first. Get it somewhere where you and a second person can think and work out of the cold !!!! Do what muleman said, jump the safety switch and come on home !!!!

I believe it's going to take TWO (2) people to figure this one out.

Like mentioned before. Check cables that move the linkage.

Let man #1 move something and see if man #2 see it moving in the back. Problem could be before it gets to the transmission.

......... two guns

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Man #1 could be woman #1, etc. Remember, Bordercollie is a wonderful lady that has taught us a LOT about the RTV. I hope Mrs. Two Guns didn't read your post TwoGuns.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Man #1 could be woman #1, etc. Remember, Bordercollie is a wonderful lady that has taught us a LOT about the RTV. I hope Mrs. Two Guns didn't read your post TwoGuns.

Yep, it should read, "Person #1 and Person #2"

................ jamie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Pepr and Two Guns!! Ya'll have me just a laughing :) I'm not a libber and I sure am not pc...haha so I take all that like a grain of salt . :) and God Bless Ya'll :) bordercollie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Bordercollie,

You going to get a kick out of this.

As most know, Mrs.Two Guns is a Cosmetologist. We also own a beauty shop here.
There are times in life where folks ask, " does your wife work ". I tell them,

..........."Oh yes, she Bush Hogs for a living" ....

I noticed people looked at me crazy. But anyway, we were out eating one
evening at the local diner. And a couple I meet just days before came walking in. I stood up and spoke, the introduced the gentlemans wife to
Mrs. Two Guns, and she said, " We meet your husband the other day and he said you BUSH HOGGED for a living. OOOOOOOOOPs. Wife turned around at me and said " What" , my reply was "could not remember EXACTLY the fancy word ya'll used for your job description, so I told her the best I could....."

...... yep, I've been known to say the wrong things.

Still tell people that Mrs.Two Guns is my #1 tax write-off !!!! That way she
still around ...... He*He*He :wink:
After all this, hope don't have to start paying for my hair trims ......

Attachments

• tractor1.jpg
    tractor1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 113

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
TwoGuns, excellent responmse, as expected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still laughing!!!!!!!