RTV 900

Tin Man

Hello! First time poster here. Just put new engine in our '05 RTV900. When I pulled the rear axle/bumper off I didn't mark anything on the u-joints. I can see the female side of the u-joint has a spline missing where a dead spline on the male shaft would have to line up with except there is no dead spline on the male? You can put it together at any orientation. We "eyeballed" it the best we can to get the joints in time. Could possibly be off a spline or two. We just ran it tonight and when operating at top speed in any gear it feels like something gets tight then loose. Kind of like surging. You can feel it in the machine and hear it in the engine. Jacking it up you can roll everything and it all feels smooth as silk. Running it in gear while up on jacks you feel or hear nothing? Rolling by hand while on jacks an feeling the joints an shafts you feel no tight spots? If we are off a spline or two in timing do you think it would cause binding that could give us these symptoms? I was disappointed there wasn't a means to make sure the u-joints could only be assembled one way to avoid getting them out of time.

Mark.Sibole

you have to have the joints in sync.Yes they didnt mark one side as many of us have found out.Check thread on u joints needed again and i have a picture with instructions on how to sync them.Im heading out the door right now and if no one else posts the link ill find it and post it.when i get home

Tin Man

Thanks to Mark and bordercollie for the replies. I found the thread you speak of last night after posting and found the picture of how the proper phasing should look. Ran out to the shop this morning to have a look and I am 90 degrees out of phase on the passenger side. Drivers side is correct. I will fix this issue tonight and hopefully my symptoms go away. It is a pain to be able to see the u-joint out at the wheel as you all well know!!! :thankyou2:

Mark.Sibole

Being out of sync will also cause a massive vibration at higher speeds and can rattle your teeth loose lol.
TY for posting the Link Collie you rock girl!!!!

Mark.Sibole

proper sync location
splinealignment.jpg

Tin Man

We don't have a vibration at all, it is more like you were applying the brake lightly and putting a slight load on the engine and you can feel it slow down just a tickle then speed back up. It has a consistent timing to the sound and "feeling". I will phase the joints correctly tonight and let you know if this solves the mystery.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Tin Man, welcome to the bestest RTV Forum on the Planet. Come back often and share the good, bad and ugly experiences with your RTV.

Ps.. Glad you got your problem resolved.

Keifer

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
congratulations!!!! this site is the best asset for any Kubota owner. would you elaborate on why the 900 needed an engine change??? high hours i hope.

Tin Man

Arthur, long story short it got ran with out an air filter in extremely dusty conditions 3-4 years ago. She finally gave up last fall so it was time for new engine.

OrangeBuggy

Welcome. Glad you found the info you needed and have it working well now. As you found out there are some fine folks here willing to help as much as possible.