RTV Gun Carry....What to use?

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have seen a couple of the best ones available made for military and for black ops and first of all they were really not that quiet, and they were only good for a few (5-10) rounds before they needed total dissasembly or at least a good cleaning. The best was not noticeably quieter then the old two litre bottle full of rags we all tried at one time or another~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~KOBE

The 45 cal one I have is not silent like in the movies but quite a bit softer than without. Pleasant to shoot without hearing protection and from what I am told not heard off my property by my neighbors. Which is the reason I wanted it. The rim fire can I have bought is as quiet as in the movies. There is a good site with sound testing info and other usefull info about silencers it is silencerforum.com I used it quite a bit before making a choice. Most of the people there are really into silencers and will give you real life info. Just like the rtv folks here do. Most can be shot dry which is how I shoot it or wet ( filled with water or gel to make it more quiet, but makes a mess) all I can say is go to a range with class 3 weapons and try for yourself

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Subsonic ammunition must be used to get the best results. All 45 auto I have found is subsonic so no problems there.

kobe

I'm sure I'm behind the times on the cans. The rim fire I watched tested was actually a sharper noise then the subsonic .45. My ears are bad from so many years of big bore pistols and rifles that I'm sure my hearing range is very limited to began with. (My wife says so) I got interested in a suppressor for a really noisy custom handgun a couple of years ago, but when I found out how many hoops I had to jump through I gave up on it. A few friends have class threes and I would not appreciate the intrusion that requires. I already had a fed visit just because I purchased two handguns in one 24 hour day. If you are not aware of it, that requires the dealer/pawn shop to send a form to Homeland Security. Another unhappy instance was when a weapon I had purchased at a pawn shop that had been checked out at the time of purchase, later turned out to be stolen when I went to sell it.
Had to go through the mess of getting the pawn dealer (Retired State Police Detective)
going through records to clear that up. Thats when I found that they had records of all gun purchases I had made for at least the last ten years (You know, the ones they only keep for thirty days) And I'm retired law enforcement~~~~~~~~~~~~~~KOBE

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The rim fires will make a sharp crack report if not using subsonic. My class 3 application had less questions than the background check form filled out to purchase firearm. Class 3 did require sheriffs signature on application . Oh yeah and currently 10 months now and waiting for second one.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Why can you purchase a gun so quickly yet take so long to purchase a suppressor.

Good question! Actually you purchase the suppressor and then send in your application . You can't take possession of it until gun shop gets your approval.

BaiJiu

Chevelle You could make one of those cartoons for the newspaper on that rule. Picture this; some bureaucrat explaining the rule, "without a suppressor permit It's illegal to shoot someone in this state unless they can hear it". Lol

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Chevelle You could make one of those cartoons for the newspaper on that rule. Picture this; some bureaucrat explaining the rule, "without a suppressor permit It's illegal to shoot someone in this state unless they can hear it". Lol

BaiJiu, I think you just did! Good one, I laughed out loud reading your post.

texrdnec

You are just so lucky to be able to freely carry your guns, there is a minimum 3 year sentence here for a conviction of carrying a loaded hand gun or even if the ammo is close at hand. That goes for inside your home as well. Don't loose that privilege.

all to hell with that

that aside, mine will get a shotgun of some sort. rattlesnakes are my only real concern down here

texrdnec

Why can you purchase a gun so quickly yet take so long to purchase a suppressor.

because our politicians went full retard in 1934

we're lucky handguns are not restricted along with machineguns, suppressors, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns and "any other weapons"

that's what they wanted to do

herman48

During snake season I carry my old Remington 870 12 gauge pump shotgun loaded with birdshot. I don't have a gun rack, so I just carry it in the cab, leaning against the passenger's seat with two shells in the magazine and an empty chamber. And I place a handful of spare shells on the dashboard. On my property I have already terminated a timber rattler, but another--a very big one--was spotted near one of my turkey blinds by the gentleman who keeps cows on my pasture. Too bad that he had no gun with him. Last year, in a different spot, I was waiting for a turkey. I lowered my hand to pick up my box call that lay on my possibles bag, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a large cottonmouth coiled at about one yard from my hand. I slowly stood up and tickled him with my walking stick. It was still sluggish (it was early in the morning after a rather cold night) and uncoiled and slithered away slowly. I didn't shoot at it because I did not want to alert the turkeys.

herman48

2 more yrs with BHO and then what?....Hitlery?

I am usually a pessimist, but I have a feeling that Hitlery just lost the nomination last night at that press conference. And today AP sued State Department for the release of her server as required by FOIA rules. Clintongate!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I never know what or who is going to be in the cab so I avoid storing a long-gun.

I do carry a Taurus Judge behind the seat. First round is 6-shot followed by (2) buck shot then a pair of .45LC's. Basically, power is progressive.

RealtreeRTV

This is kind of on the other extreme from bczoom's.
I bought this last summer. NAA .22 magnum, 5 shot,
4 9/16" long, fits in any pocket. Can also shoot shotshell cartridges.

With this there are no excuses not to have a gun with you.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5NlgxNjAw/z/S6wAAOSwstxU-yRE/$_57.JPG

This picture is from ebay. I made the concealed carry holster.

Last edited:

Fitch

A .30-06 is a lot of gun for plinking, snakes, or small pests. The Mossberg .22 is a lot better choice.

Ftch

herman48

I think that the best snake medicine is any gun, long or short, that can spew a spoonful of birdshot. As I said, I carry a shotgun for snakes w/o legs. For two-legged snakes I carry a concealed (I have a permit) Kimber 1911 with laser sight (Crimson Trace) full-size .45 ACP loaded with some nasty hollow point, +P cartridges. My wife carries in her purse/holster a S&W revolver in .44 Spl., also loaded with nasty, hi-velocity, HP stuff. We carry concealed everywhere. Better to have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it. When people ask me why I carry a gun I answer, "Because a cop is too heavy."
I am so used to carrying that when I travel to another country or a U.S. state where I can't have Sister Kimber with me I feel naked. Long live the Second Amendment!

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Originally this thread was about how to mount a gun rack in the RTV. This was due to the fact that my wife had gotten me a Mossberg "Plinkster" .22Lr to keep in the RTV.............As you can see up in the parts of this thread that are relevant to that, the gun rack I got, and installed above the rear window works really well.......

The rifle has been riding there for 2 years now and is ready for many more.............I have kept the weapon coated with "Fluid Film" and have ZERO rest or corrosion.........

With it, have had to use it to finish off 2 timber rattlers last year and 1 on the year before..........My best shot with it was a red fox at 200 yards. Was going up my road and crested the top of the ridge. "what's that up there in the road?" A fox sitting with it's back to me. Stopped, pulled down the rifle, got the magazine out of it's hiding spot, and within 20 seconds was aiming................Zippadeedooo...........Right where I aimed with those iron sights. Just at the base of the skull and back of the neck facing me..............Anyway....good little rifle to carry in the RTV...........God bless.........Dennis