RTV900 CAN'T SHIFT INTO REVERSE

kenmur333

I have a 2005 RTV900 with a Blizzard 6 ft. plow. used to clear a 1500 ft. gravel drive. Around the garage and at the road I push the snow into a large pile, back away from the pile and then push more snow onto the pile. Problem is my RTV is very difficult to shift out of forward into reverse. I can make it a little better by moving the plow angle left and right to relieve pressure on the trans.
It shifts fine on concrete or any flat solid surface.
Any ideas????

rem

Good day, Kenmur. I feel your pain. I have a 2010 RTV 1100 with the same affliction. If there is any pressure on the blade pushing against the unit, it becomes very cranky regarding shifting.

In this particular situation, what works for me is to push the blade down and actually lift up the front end of the unit a little, then release the blade. This pushes the unit just slightly away from the snow relieving the tension on the unit, and allows me to shift into reverse. I'm not sure if your blade has hydraulic up and down or not. If not, then you may simply just have to not push it in quite so hard. Hope this helps. RR

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I found that if it's stuck in gear, applying the emergency brake and waiting about 5 seconds works for relieving the pressure.
If you can get it out of gear but hard getting into gear, while in neutral, give it some gas (I know it's not gas, but its just a saying) and when it returns to idle, it normally slides into gear.

Kanook

I have a 2005 RTV900 with a Blizzard 6 ft. plow. used to clear a 1500 ft. gravel drive. Around the garage and at the road I push the snow into a large pile, back away from the pile and then push more snow onto the pile. Problem is my RTV is very difficult to shift out of forward into reverse. I can make it a little better by moving the plow angle left and right to relieve pressure on the trans.
It shifts fine on concrete or any flat solid surface.
Any ideas????

Mine did the same thing ....it's an 04....you need to do a "CREEP Adjustment". After setting mine up correctly, the difference was like night and day. It's a simple task and is in this forum. Try doing a search on Creep.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I turn the steering hard to left AND right all the way to where the power steering whines for a brief second, and it will usually slide right out of the affected gear and into the desired gear. It seems to always hang up when I am in an extreme hurry or circumstance and this has worked for me 85+% of the time.Bordercollie

zenchal26

You need to adjust your trans. Creep adjustment and shift cable adjustments. You will find that the shift cables will need to be adjusted often if your machine has low hrs. Once you get some hrs on it the cables will stop stretching as much and time between adjustments will get longer. Do a search on sticky shift.

zenchal26

I found my old post on this here is directions on how to adjust your shifter.

Before you get started make sure the cables under the hood connected to the shifter are in the middle of the threads where the jam nuts are and are tight. Also check the ball joints for tightness

1. Put the shifter in the cab into neutral and all the way to the passenger side bungee it so it can't move. Make sure you are dead nuts in the middle of the opening that the shifter goes through don’t rely on the N mark

2. Take the big cable off the shift lever that is vertical on the side of the Trans and the smaller cable off the secondary shift lever on top of the Trans

3.Now move the shift lever on the side of the Trans back and forth you will feel three clicks total put the lever in the middle position and adjust the cable so it fits perfect into the hole in the lever.

4. Take the secondary lever on top of the Trans and move it side to side, it will return to the driver’s side on its own due to spring tension. Adjust this cable so it fits perfectly into the hole in the lever you’re done.

This is how the book tells you to set the secondary lever but I found that it was still sticking going into first and rev. Not much but it was still sticking so here is how I set the secondary cable.

With the cable off the secondary lever take the bungee off the shifter, keeping the shifter in the neutral position slide it to the drivers side and bungee it so it wont move.

This is where a third hand would be handy, take the secondary lever on the top of the Trans and slide it all the way to the passenger side and hold it there. While the secondary lever is held to the passenger side, adjust the cable so it fits perfectly into the hole in the lever you’re done.

5. After adjusting the shifter, you also need to adjust the HST lever. Do this by disconnecting the ball joint from the lever. Move the lever all the way fwd until it stops and mark the case where it stops. Hook the cable back up and push the pedal down all the way. Adjust the pedal stopper so the HST lever is 1mm before your mark on the case. After that is set put the pedal all the way down and adjust the throttle cable so the throttle lever is all the way open.

Adjusting creep.

On the side of the HST Valve there is a screw with a jam nut. The proper way to check this is with pressure gauges but you can get it close with out.

1. With the bota in 2wd jack up the back so the wheels are off the ground.
2. Put in neutral and start the bota.
3. See if the wheels turn in neutral, if they do you need to loosen the jam nut and either screw in or out the screw until you get the wheels to stop. Tighten jam nut your done. Little tricky when tightening the jam nut due to the screw will turn with it a bit and mess up your setting. Just keep playing with it you’ll get it.

Hope this helps.