So what do you guys do?

Bindian

So Brandi, who do you fly when you fly? :D
Doc,
Unlimited passes on Southwest. :thumb: Before 911, I would just show up and see if there were any seats available. After 911, I have to list my itenery the night before so they can check me out. I can ride cockpit jumpseat:cool:, but I become part of the flight deck crew then and all those hassles. Or even the 4th flight attendant jumpseat. But you can not even sleep in that seat...company rule.:badidea: I like to just get on and go, like any other passenger. I just like to take a seat in the passenger cabin and relax. Some pilots like a mechanic to fly upfront, to pick their brain. Some pilots don't want you up in the cockpit. It is a pain now after 911 flying in the cockpit as the cockpit door is locked and has a certain procedure to go through to open it and get out too use the lavatory. But you and the pilots have a Flight Attendant at your beck and call.:D
hugs, Brandi

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good Brandi. Everything sure did change after 911. :(

Your job and job bennies sound cool. Good for you. Especially since you are doing something you enjoy. :thumb:

B

bczoom

Some pilots like a mechanic to fly upfront, to pick their brain.
OK, have things changed in the last 25 years or was it just that my aviation career in the military? When we rode upfront, it was normally for the pilot to b!tch about something.

Whats the difference between a fighter pilot and his aircraft? The plane stops whining when you shut down the engines.

Dougster

Old Member
Sounds like they wanted you out of the loop, competition-wise. I had a similar "offer" from an out of town company that wanted me to "bid" on local service jobs for them. Go to a job as low bidder? Don't think so. Like you, I just work for myself.
Well, the funny thing (to me anyway) is that these alleged "national level" computer repair firms all *diss* the local-level independents who list themselves on Craigslist as risky, incompetent boobs, amateurs and cheats, etc... but guess who they call when they suddenly need a tech in a certain area pronto. BINGO! They immediately go to Craigslist and find the nearest Indy. It's happened to me more than a dozen times since I listed on Craigslist. A bit hypocritical... wouldn't you say??? :)

Dougster

Bindian

Sounds good Brandi. Everything sure did change after 911. :(

Your job and job bennies sound cool. Good for you. Especially since you are doing something you enjoy. :thumb:

Doc,
Thanks. Yeah, the hardest part of my job is driving the 62 miles one way to work! But that is against traffic for 4 nights.
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
I was thinking/wondering the same thing after Brandi mentioned that she uses Harbor Freight tools on the aircraft.
Trust the word of a person (namely me!) who has been advised by Brandi relative to purchasing the correct tools to do a job. If Brandi is using a Harbor Freight tool for a particular task, that's good enough for me! :D Bring me the HF catalog! ;)

Dougster

Bindian

Dougster,
They have a catalog???????????? I just get newspaper flyers. :sad: Dougster is referring to the Gland Nut Wrench I lead him to for rebuilding his Bradco BH cylinders.
hugs, Brandi
Trust the word of a person (namely me!) who has been advised by Brandi relative to purchasing the correct tools to do a job. If Brandi is using a Harbor Freight tool for a particular task, that's good enough for me! :D Bring me the HF catalog! ;)

Dougster

JDA 3020

Up until I was 30 I farmed with my dad and brother full time on the family farm.

The past 20 years I have been building peoples dream homes, garages and shops. I also have a full shop of quality wodworking tools to build custom kitchen cabinets, vanities and furniture.

oldron

I am a recovering carpenter.Been retired 3 years.I love old tractors,I started out on a small farm but went to the city.Anyhow I work on what ever I can sneak past the wife.:yum:

Bindian

I am an Aircraft Mechanic with Southwest Airlines in Houston. Been there 15 out of my 29 year career as a mechanic.
hugs, Brandi
Here is a photo of what I was doing Sunday night. I got to play:thumb: on the new diesel cherry picker and open the vertical fin up of a Boeing 737-700
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 12-23-07 Opening the tail of Boeing 737-700.jpg
    12-23-07 Opening the tail of Boeing 737-700.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 100

xlr82v2

Southern Illinois farmboy who finally ended up being a Corporate/Charter pilot flying Learjets...

Here's the view from my office...

irwin

Too many of you guys/gal(s) have exciting, fun, fulfilling careers, or better yet life giving retirement activities. Where are the job hating joes, whos most excitement in the whole work week comes friday at quitting time? mon.:bash: tues. :bangin:wedn. :fight: thur. :shitHitsFan: fri. :bash: fri. evening:wave:

Thank heaven my wife has a good education, makes more $ than me, and best of all loves my sorry a&&. :thumb: :king:

I've been in auto service or sales since the early eighties, been running a 4 bay garage for 15 years now. Much better than the 10 bay place I ran. Plenty of stress but still only 1/3 the agravation.

The wife and I bought a small overgrown plot (-7 acres) and are working on it in our (limited) spare time. :wink:
Without this to look forward to life would be a sorry affair.:umbrella: :eek2: :yuk:

Bindian

Too many of you guys/gal(s) have exciting, fun, fulfilling careers, or better yet life giving retirement activities. Where are the job hating joes, whos most excitement in the whole work week comes friday at quitting time? mon.:bash: tues. :bangin:wedn. :fight: thur. :shitHitsFan: fri. :bash: fri. evening:wave:

Thank heaven my wife has a good education, makes more $ than me, and best of all loves my sorry a&&. :thumb: :king:

I've been in auto service or sales since the early eighties, been running a 4 bay garage for 15 years now. Much better than the 10 bay place I ran. Plenty of stress but still only 1/3 the agravation.

The wife and I bought a small overgrown plot (-7 acres) and are working on it in our (limited) spare time. :wink:
Without this to look forward to life would be a sorry affair.:umbrella: :eek2: :yuk:
Irwin,
Merry Christmas! I think everyone has parts of their job they hate. I work nights. Been doing that for 16 years. I miss a normal "day" life. That and the fact I work 62 miles from work. I work 4 nights a week with a 10 hour shift. Most nights we work 4-5 hours. That is 5-6 hours of waiting around. Not fun when you got a tractor at home you want to get on, but come home to a beautiful day and all you want to do is sleep.
hugs, Brandi

irwin

Irwin,
Merry Christmas! I think everyone has parts of their job they hate. I work nights. Been doing that for 16 years. I miss a normal "day" life. That and the fact I work 62 miles from work. I work 4 nights a week with a 10 hour shift. Most nights we work 4-5 hours. That is 5-6 hours of waiting around. Not fun when you got a tractor at home you want to get on, but come home to a beautiful day and all you want to do is sleep.
hugs, Brandi

Merry Christmas Brandi! :thumb:
I hear that, few things are worse than sitting around waiting. (unless you can play on the net, while you wait.) and that's quite a daily drive you've got there lady.
Once I worked four, 12 hour days (actually it was about 13 hours), did it for about 1 1/2 years. Was so burnt after the 4th day had to spend the fifth recuperating.

Irwin
where in eastern CT do you run an auto shop.

Hey Larry, Merry Christmas!:wave:

30 minutes south of me, on the coast in Groton, ct.

rback33

I am one of the few that is lucky enough that my boss pays me to visit this site and is happy about it. I am the OE sales and service manager for KMW. We manufacture most of the loaders that Mahindra puts on their tractors. We also build some for Kioti and have our own dealer line for the bigger AG equipment in the Midwest. I do what I can to help with any and all tractor or loader questions regardless of the manufacturer. I am actually tractorless myself, but have a pretty good supply available with a simple phone call.