Something different...

doggman

We decided that a lot of the use of our RTV900 was just people moving or light chores. So we bought a Bad Boy MTV electric Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) (Not a Bad Boy Buggy which is another brand altogether.) to relieve some of the wear and tear on the RTV. Also, even though the RTV sips fuel, with diesel at $3.25 a gallon, we also wanted to cut down on the fuel bills. For 2010 there's a tax credit of 10% of the purchase price. In 2009 there was a 60% tax credit! Built in Arkansas by a commercial mower company.

LSVs are street legal according to the FED DOT. I wouldn't want to get out in traffic in it since it only does about 25 mph but I guess in a subdivision or rural gravel roads it would be okay. I don't think we'll license ours...

Eight standard 6-volt batteries, built in charger that runs off a standard 15 amp 125v wall outlet. We don't have much experience with charge rates yet but so far it runs all weekend on a single charge. I understand it takes about 100 charges to condition the batteries. They should last 3 to 4 years.

20 hp electric motor with high/low range, selectable 4wd, and an electric dump bed. Pulls like a Willys - even with the street tires. I wanted to change the tires immediately but the dealer said I'd be surprised how well they work in the mud and snow - and I really am surprised!

There are some design and convenience issues like the tires extend beyond the flares (mud sling), very little storage, hard to get at battery cells on the 2 batteries under the bed, no inner fender wells, etc. We'll address these as it warms up so we can do a little customizing.

And, of course, it's really quiet. You can barely hear the motor whire, the shafts whire, and the shocks "squishing". We'll be sneaking up on the spotlighters and poachers for sure...

Attachments

• IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 467

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very nice. That sure could come in handy. The one item I was interested in you left out .....the price. :yum: Also I wonder how much the batteries will run you when you do have to replace them all?

Kerry

The way electric cost are jumping up, What will it cost you to keep the system charged. RIght now If you turn on a 100 watt bulb it wil cost you over $100 per year to keep it on 24/7. I found out it was costing me over $50 per year to just have a printer on my computer. The 48w transformer was on all the time.

doggman

The MTV cost around $9500. The 10% tax credit will bring it down some more.

Replacing the batteries will average out to around $200 a year. There are no filters, oil, or lube to buy. A gallon of distilled water for the batteries was $2 at Walgreens.

Our rural electric co-op gets $.08600 / kwh which is reasonable. I have a metered outlet on an out building that we use only in the summer. I'll charge the MTV there one day and that will give us the KWs used and the cost. I'll bet it will be pretty reasonable.

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It sure would be a great addition to my stable. :thumb:
Congrats on your new workhorse!! :thumb: :clap:

Onfoot

Quite impressive in all kinds of ways, and you have obviously been doing your homework. Any sense of how cold temps impact the battery charge?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Very nice Doggman. We love to catch headlighters and thieves but it's hard to do when they hear ya coming. Is that the mascot on the seat?. A very fine pup indeed.- Oh the machine is nice too.! Bordercollie

General Lee

I have heard some decent things about the Bad Boy models. It will be interesting to see how it performs for you in the long run. Congrats on the purchase!

DIXIEDOG

Very nice, I like the compactness of the unit. I would also think with the electric motor power that it would be incredibly torquey.:a1: I'd be interested to hear what you think of it over a longer term like a year or two, they maybe just the thing the UTV market needs.

vintovka1

I think I saw this one and a 6 passenger one at the SHOT show in Las Vegas last week or so. Was very impressed by the components and construction. I really like the idea of a direct drive motor for each axle. If my 900 ever croaks i would consider one of these. FWIW Since adding a 4.0 KW solar system my electrical costs went from $750 down to less than $5 mo. The latter being the connection fee to the grid. Yeah it cost me $13K but the way the dollar and gas prices are going i think its a good investment.

pappy19

I was seriously considering a Bad Boy before I checked on the distances it would go (in Heaven) which was 26 miles, subtract about 50% in weather conditions under freezing, subtract another 20-30% if you have to use the winch, and that's when I went out and bought my 900 diesel. The fuel guage on mine doesn't even move after 26 miles driven. If I lived in Texas or there abouts then I might consider oa Bad Boy, but in Idaho, I just don't think they would be very good for hunting and just having a day in the mountains.

doggman

I was seriously considering a Bad Boy before I checked on the distances it would go (in Heaven) which was 26 miles, subtract about 50% in weather conditions under freezing, subtract another 20-30% if you have to use the winch, and that's when I went out and bought my 900 diesel. .

That's one of the reasons we still have the RTV900, as well. They are definitely two different animals. The Bad Boy MTV is just for running around doing light chores, etc. Even though it's a little mountain goat it's not designed to be a long distance hauler. So far we plug it in once a week with the lighter winter usage.

BTW - Bad Boy Buggies, which has an open golf cart style, is a DIFFERENT BRAND altogether. You see them at Cabellas and other retail stores. What we bought is a Bad Boy MTV manufactured by the commercial outdoor equipment company, Bad Boy Mowers. It is available only through outdoor equipment shops. Before you buy either check out the reviews. I was not happy with the Bad Boy Buggy reviews. It is confusing.
Recently, I have seen some ads for Bad Boy MTVs with Willie Nelson, Ted Nugent, Rascal Flats, Jesica Simpson, St. Louis Cardinals, etc. - but then they're probably paid endorsements...

doggman

I finally got to charge the MTV on a dedicated electric meter to figure the cost. A 60% charge cost us 84 CENTS - 9 KWH!!! That will get us around the farm all weekend just doing light chores and still have a decent charge left over. (I'll have to hook up the GPS and see if I can get some mileage and range numbers.)
The 2011 models have even better efficiency and power since they now have an AC motor and rectifier.
Nothing will replace the RTV for shear hauling power and comfort but this is an economical and quiet addition for getting from point A to B around the farm and to the neighbors.

PS Just took delivery of our 2011 900XT and I'll get some pictures and performance impressions when I get a chance.

jimmyc

Disappointed with Bad Boy MTV

I bought a Bad Boy MTV about a year and a half ago and within the first week the battery terminal melted off. The company gave me a new battery and instructed me to attach battery cable a different way which still gets hot but not hot enough to melt. About two weeks ago after driving it about a mile I stopped and noticed a burning odor - the insulation on one of the cables that hook to the motor was melted. Called the company and was told the motor would soon be quitting and a new one would be $600. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Heatwave

That's a fine machine, driven by an even finer dog. Thank you for the pix ... especially of the dog. I like happy dogs ... and yours looks like he's found his little patch of Heaven here on Earth. God bless.

PS. Wife and I have owned Shelties for more than 40 years ... or we have been owned by Shelties for more than 40 years. Both of those are equally true statements. World's greatest and smartest dog ... well, their math skills aren't much better than the average teenager's, but their reading, writing, and listening skills are tops. Nubbin, our Sheltie, loves riding in our (his) RTV900 and in the Tundra. He has been pestering me to let him get tested for his driver license. He won't be 2 years old until the end of this month ... so maybe in May I'll take him in for his written and driving tests. He has really eaten up the little drivers' test study booklet the highway patrol distributes. I don't think he'll have any trouble at all with the tests. And he loves parallel parking ... already better than 95% of the college kids in this little corner of Paradise.

vintovka

I bought a Bad Boy MTV about a year and a half ago and within the first week the battery terminal melted off. The company gave me a new battery and instructed me to attach battery cable a different way which still gets hot but not hot enough to melt. About two weeks ago after driving it about a mile I stopped and noticed a burning odor - the insulation on one of the cables that hook to the motor was melted. Called the company and was told the motor would soon be quitting and a new one would be $600. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

You just finished off any interest i had in these. Knew they were too good to be true. You should get a full refund!!

LATiger

Hey Doggman,

Have you ever seen those tubed battery fill systems? It sucks water from a single hose using a primer bulb similar to those on outboard motor tanks and distributes water to all the batteries in a closed system. You pump the bulb until its tight, at which point all batteries are filled. There is no spill and no removing and replacing caps once system is installed. Mine cost about $200 bucks and takes the headache out of filling the batteries.

It's similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trojan-Hydr...CI%2BUA%2BFICS&otn=21&pmod=290648595425&ps=54