Spraying from the RTV?

David69

I will need to spray for weed control after the Mulcher. Do any of you have any suggestions on the set up with the 900? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you David

Attachments

• 154.jpg
    154.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 212
  • 155.jpg
    155.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 156.jpg
    156.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 212
  • 157.jpg
    157.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 158.jpg
    158.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 159.jpg
    159.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 208

ovrszd

I have a 30 gallon wand sprayer. Why couldn't you just build a boom however wide will fit thru your trails and use a tank/wand sprayer to run it?? Would take a little plumbing but shouldn't be too hard. Activate it by flipping the switch to turn on/off the pump.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm a fan of Fimco sprayers due to their quality.

I have something like this one.
http://fimcoindustries.com/trailer_sprayer_standard.html

Due to your terrain, if you pull one, you may need bigger tires.

Also related to your conditions, if you're using a boom, I'd consider fabbing it up where the boom is on hinges/springs so it can bend/break-away if you catch a tree or limb on the sides.

David69

I'm a fan of Fimco sprayers due to their quality.

I have something like this one.
http://fimcoindustries.com/trailer_sprayer_standard.html

Due to your terrain, if you pull one, you may need bigger tires.

Also related to your conditions, if you're using a boom, I'd consider fabbing it up where the boom is on hinges/springs so it can bend/break-away if you catch a tree or limb on the sides.

Thanks Zoom. Good input! :tiphat: The price is not bad. I like the idea of tow behind versus in the bed of the RTV. Disconnect and go about one's other business. Are you happy with the 12v pump?

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...=84636434803&gclid=CNLH3bKW6sgCFROSfgodpqsKFA

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've never had any problems with the pump. With all pumps, make sure you purge or anti-freeze if it's going below freezing. That's the only problem I've ever encountered with these small pumps and that was on a pressure washer.

Another reason I like the tow behind is that whatever chemicals I'm spraying are well behind me and the RTV. You're doing weed control but if you were to do something like liquid urea, that will really rust your equipment.

If you have a Tractor Supply around you, I believe they sell Fimco as well as a couple other brands.

ovrszd

I too use Fimco. They've always been reliable.

As to trailer of haul tank. I prefer to haul the tank. Especially if doing spraying in confined areas like you will be in.

As Zoom said, you'll need larger tires to pull a trailer on the trails you've made.

It would be easy to fab a boom hanging off the back of the RTV using the bed stake holes. Or rig up something to go in the rear hitch but you'll want to raise it so it's not dragging when crossing ditches or whatever.

The Fimco sprayers come with an electrical cord that has battery post clamps on one end, a fuse in the hot wire, a rocker switch somewhere near the middle of the 10ft wire and lastly a two wire disconnect near the pump.

I cut the battery post clamps off, added eyelet ends, then fastened them to the battery cables using the nut already there. When not using the sprayer or seeder I simply unplug the implement and wrap the wire around the rear roll cage post on the driver's side. So it's always there and ready to use when needed.

Last week I put my sprayer away for the Winter using RV Antifreeze in the tank, then pump until it's coming out the sprayer wand.

Make sure to post whatever you come up with. We're always looking for ideas!!!

Edit: Forgot to add, don't leave leftover chemicals in your sprayer system. Some of them break down and will create slimy, gooey stuff that will plug your screen and you'll fight it for quite awhile to get it all cleaned out. When done spraying I empty the tank, then add a couple gallons of water and spray until I'm getting clear water out the nozzle.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
David. I have been out of town or would have replied sooner. I have used all kinds of sprayers. My favorite is an on demand pump that only runs when the wand handle is pressed. Be sure and get one with a screen on the intake hose. I have 12 v pig tails all over the bota and turn on the power by flipping a switch on my homemade console. ( posted about that too under homemade console. Lots of others did too. :)
I had a tow behind sprayer with a short boom and alsso a wand. I wanted it for the quick disconnect feature too. It is low to the ground and won't power a boom very well. Maybe for round up but not for when you need to put out gallons per acre. I finally put a gas engine and roller pump on it to get the gpm I needed for spraying pastures with selective herbicides but sold it and now have a 300 g tank with an 8 roller pump I pull with the tractor for that ,and use round up and spray fences with the 25 g little one.
Now, I just use the 25 g tanks in the bed with a brass wand. collie

ovrszd

I think most electric sprayer units are on demand. I know all the Fimco ones are. That's what you want.

I was thinking this afternoon, you would get more responsive results if you could control the spray at or very near the boom. This would let the on demand pump charge the hose to a valve that would be opened/closed to charge the boom when spray is needed. This would minimize the "lag". That would require an electric valve in the hose at the boom. Added expense and hassle. But if you use it a lot, you will be more satisfied with the results.

David69

What do you guys think of this set up?. Broyhill 3 HP Briggs and Stratton.... 30 gallon.. Just saw this on Craigslist. Belonged to his father-law.Good shape

Attachments

• spray1.jpg
    spray1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 142
  • spray3.jpg
    spray3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 140
  • spray2.jpg
    spray2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 141

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Look at my tow behind in that link . I sold the one in the link I posted for about 300. I think it was either 50 or 60 gallon. The boom on it was up higher. This is a bad time of the year to sell outdoor stuff, maybe you can get a real deal.
edit: Mine had a20 ft hose and wand also but I took it off and used it elsewhere. collie

David69

Look at my tow behind in that link . I sold the one in the link I posted for about 300. I think it was either 50 or 60 gallon. The boom on it was up higher. This is a bad time of the year to sell outdoor stuff, maybe you can get a real deal.

I am in no rush. Yes If the price is right I can modify this..It looks too low. But those are cheap tires. Don't know with that axle if bigger tires can be purchased.

David69

Did you have any trouble with your gas unit? Notice the difference in the two in the height clearance. I'll be scrapping sticks!

Attachments

• sprayer.jpg
    sprayer.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 133
  • spray3.jpg
    spray3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 131

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Not too much trouble with the engine . I did keep the engine oil changed . It would loose prime if I let the roller pump run dry of water though
It looks like that hose on the bottom of the tank could catch stuff and possibly cause trouble if the fitting on the bottom of the tank got in a bind. Hate to say it but am thinking it would be more suitable for a "no stick" situation. I remember well, backing up on night and forgetting it was there..... broke my tail light on the engine. That is when I went to the boat trailer lights with a clear bottom for visibility at night. also needed a "jack or can" to put it on because with a load of water and the engine ,the tongue got heavy. collie

ovrszd

I guess I don't know how much trail spraying you are gonna do?

For rough trails I wouldn't want to deal with a trailer.

David69

I guess I don't know how much trail spraying you are gonna do?

For rough trails I wouldn't want to deal with a trailer.

You have a good point! The majority of the spraying will be on level ground about 2 acres that was recently cleared from overgrown Scotch Broom and Black berries. I want to spray it to keep it down and then replant it eventually into pasture. The roads are on steeper terrain through the timber. I am not too worried about that. I do like the idea of disconnecting from the unit and going about my other business with the RTV. Chemicals are corrosive and I like the idea of it way back behind me. The pic above is that level ground.

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 128