T4.85 showing 2098 code

Blue77

Any ideas on the 2098 code. What I can find is an electronic issue with the dump valve. I replaced the coil on the valve and still have the issue. Fine when cool, as it gets to operating temp it will code. Self clears after a few minutes. Example, 20 bales to unload and stack, on bale 17 it coded. Coded 5 more times on the last 3 bales. Next day same thing only coded on bale 16. Dealer says it’s electrical but I’m not so sure. Only other symptoms is hydraulic pressure/flow drops off as it gets hot. Dealer checked it last year, changed fluid and filters, said it’s in spec but it still has the same issue.

Anyone that has an idea would be helpful. Dealer is willing but not sure where to go next.

Mike

Blue77

Take a look here.
Looks like:
New Holland 2098 C5 solenoid short to 12v
I agree. Dealer and I felt changing the dump valve solenoid would be the best bet. I did that and no change. He said that code was specific to the dump valve and a short to ground. Wires look good to the harness. If I had a somatic it would help. My guess is the clutch, lever and valve are what should be in that circuit.

Thanks for the reply

Mike

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'd start probing around with an ohmmeter and volt meter.
Might want to check into a workshop manual if probing around looking for shorts doesn't work.

Blue77

Understand, I am kind of hung up on the heat part. It’s very consistent when it’s likely to code. I just don’t see heat and short to ground being related. May make sense when I find it. Nasty little problem, coded when settling a bale 4 high in the barn while I was getting out from under it. Not a good place to be in neutral.

Mike.

Blue77

I'd start probing around with an ohmmeter and volt meter.
Might want to check into a workshop manual if probing around looking for shorts doesn't work.
I had a thought after reading your reply. I did have an issue earlier this year with airflow in the cab. Turned out some of the wires were making contact with the fan just below the cabin filter. Left hand side while in the seat. It’s the same side as the dump valve. ??

Blue77

I had a thought after reading your reply. I did have an issue earlier this year with airflow in the cab. Turned out some of the wires were making contact with the fan just below the cabin filter. Left hand side while in the seat. It’s the same side as the dump valve. ??
No luck so far. The wires that caused the fan issue are fine and don’t seem to be related to the current issue. Checked the clutch peddle switch next. Shows 4.9 volts at rest and down to .5 volts depressed. Seems to be functioning. Volts drop with movement of the peddle. That makes me think that the control voltage is a different circuit than the operational circuit. Code is for 12 volts so I am guessing the peddle and directional lever are running in the 5 volt control circuit and can be ruled out. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help with this

Mike

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry Mike. Not sure how much I can help on this one.
I'd go online and see if you can find a shop manual.
This site may have what you need (I don't know anything about the site, it was just listed when I searched for a manual.

I went through to the checkout section. It implies free to download but not sure if that's for the operators manual (which won't help you here) or if it's for the full service manual.

Blue77

Sorry Mike. Not sure how much I can help on this one.
I'd go online and see if you can find a shop manual.
This site may have what you need (I don't know anything about the site, it was just listed when I searched for a manual.

I went through to the checkout section. It implies free to download but not sure if that's for the operators manual (which won't help you here) or if it's for the full service manual.
Thanks I very much appreciate your help. Looks like a free operator manual and 40$ shop manual. I paid around 60 for my lost operating manual from the dealer and of course found mine soon after.

I have a lead I’m chasing now, may be a misunderstanding on my part. Will own up to it only if I find it’s mine.

Mike.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I paid around 60 for my lost operating manual from the dealer and of course found mine soon after.
That's odd. I was pretty sure operator's manuals were almost always free. Manufacturers want their end users to have a manual so the owners can run the tractor as recommended and lessen the manufacturer's liability.

Blue77

That's odd. I was pretty sure operator's manuals were almost always free. Manufacturers want their end users to have a manual so the owners can run the tractor as recommended and lessen the manufacturer's liability.
Ok, it’s mostly mine. Not 100% sure as it’s not done a good days work yet but ran it long enough I think it would have coded.

While looking for a wire issues I noticed wires labeled for clutch A and B. With a third valve that looked like the first valve I picked up. Service manager had given me a part number that was for this valve. When I picked it up it did not match the valve I was planning to change so I ordered a different one and installed it with no change in operation. It’s a longer story but end of it he was right in the first place I think.

Thanks for the help and I just hate issues not closed out when asking for help. I’ll post if it coded again other wise consider it resolved.

Mike

Reactions: Doc