THE BEAST

David69

The BEAST.... Howard Rotavator E Series II Selectatilth.
Everyday is a another small victory that brings me closer to completion! New C shape tines and I think am ready to go after some considerable welding and straighten out of this and that. ..Small leak in chain case probably a seal at bearing. I heard that replacing the 90 gear oil with a EP Grease 00, apple sauce pouring consistency, would eliminate the leak and work fine..Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 419
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 414
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 413

ovrszd

Yep, what he said.

I see you got the lower pins figured out and located where they'll work for ya. :)

shinnery

Corn Head Grease is what is used in track rollers on crawlers. It is either grade 0 or 00. You should be able to get it at green or yellow John Deere Dealers. It comes in grease gun tubes.
Bryce

David69

Thanks men..that's what I needed to hear. :tiphat: The grease gun affair is perfect. Trying to pour 00 grease in the filler hole would have been tricking.

David69

Finished welding all cracks, etc, stopped leaks, and finally mounted the Howard on the tractor for a fit. Oh replaced all 30 tines after more than a 1/2 century of rusted and worn smooth nuts and bolts.. Lucked out didn't have to cut any. Something called Kroil works wonders..better than my old favorite PB Blaster. Now to purchase a PTO guard and when the weather changes maybe a coat of paint. She be solid!

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 333
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 337
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 336
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 332
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 335

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sweet! Nicely done.
The before/after image of the tines is quite revealing.

I'm a firm believer in Kroil. Between Kroil and Fluid Film, the PB Blaster, WD-40 and all others just sit on the shelf unused.

ovrszd

David, I like it. Great to see dependable old machinery brought back to life!!! I'm slightly jealous, but I'll get over it...
:)

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That is a real treasure David. They don't make them that well any more. Congratulations on your hard work ! :tiphat: collie

628pm

Site Supporter
Great looking piece of equipment, that should take care of anything you need done with that type of tool.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
David69, agree that Kroil is some wonderful penetrant. We use it at the Nuclear Power Plant and I also use it on the farm. I've not found a better product.

Great job on your Howard. I looked online at them a few years ago. Boy, are they expensive.

I ended up purchasing a 90" wide Phoenix, made in Italy. Sure can till the garden much quicker with the 90" tractor versus the 20" walk-behind.

Philip

David69

Thank you. What makes overhauling a piece of old equipment feasible today is the availability of the internet. Manuals and parts list for the Howard E Series II Rotavator ares still available. Plus Youtube videos and various blogs on any subject help out tremendously. I wouldn't be able to do it otherwise. I am not a farmer but I am learning so much from sites like this. It's all just great :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: I bought PTO shield today. I didn't realize how easy a mistake like getting caught up in the PTO can be...even fatal!. I heard that mining and farming are the most dangerous in that order. Of course logging is right up there as well, my present profession.

David69

The Beast is painted

..Painted and now waiting for decals from England. Now waiting for Spring.

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 251
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 244