This one has me stumped

Uncle Levi

Last winter ,every time the temp dropped below 32 degrees, the left brake on my JD 2020 would lock up. This spring I changed the hydraulic fluid and filter. The hydro I drained out was a cream color, not dark brown like the new stuff, so I assumed it had water in it. Now six weeks later, I took a sample of the new stuff and again--cream color. Am I correct in assuming there is water in it again? The shift boots are new, and I have no idea how water can be getting into the system. I need to get this fixed before winter. This one has me totally baffled. The Dual Loader I have on has a completely seperate hydraulic system,so that's a non-issue. Any help is very welcome. Mike

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sure sounds like water or something is contaminating the fluid. How old is the 2020? Could it be the cap leaking / letting in water a little at a time with each rain?

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
doing alot of hydraulic work on offshore lift boats and cranes we come across alot of water contamination. when dealing with water you have to drain all the oil out and change fiters two or 3 times to get all the water out. we drain then fill them up and operate the machines for a few minutes then drain again and change filters we keep doing this til the fluid come out clear. tanks and hoses do build up condensations after a while and it will completly destroy your system if you don't fix it right away. to see if it's a simple condensation problem flush it out til it clear and cover the tractor with a tarp and run the tractor for atleast 30 minutes a month to heat up the system and dry up any water that might try to build up. i seen boats that was left at the docks sitting for a few months and their entire systems had to be flushed because their hydraulic fluid tanks had sweated and became contaminated it's costly to clean out but it's cheaper to just run the tractor every so many weeks or days .

Art454

Yep you can get water in it just from Condensation.
I left one of my tractor outside coverd in a cover....needed to use it....it was a gearbox type tranny and when I tried to move it it would not move....tried to get dipstick out and could not.....I new what had happened so got out the old electric blanket next day it was un frozen.....brought it in the shop sure as hell it was milk color......drain it add new and made room for it in the barn after that.
It was a old power king if anybody remmbers them.
Was a good old tractor I bought new like 25 years ago with fel.
Also had a tiller for the back.....they went out business so sold it and bought the BX 2350.

Art

Art454

I was selling a Old mtd garden tractor and chain it to the power pole by the house so I would not have to move it all the time.
Someone would come and look at it and it would not start.
Took air cleaner off choked it and could see water .
Tank was under seat how the hell could water get into it.
Drain it put new gas in it and it started right up......so ok I would just cover it up with a board and lower the seat....no way water get in it again....about a week later someone stop no start again....same thing water in the gas......drain it and it ran like new.......said f it and put it the garage and moved it out in the day like for 2 weeks till someone bought it.....told them don't leave it outside or water will get in the gas somehow.
Never had a problem with any other mower like that....so go figure.....lol

Art