Tire Time Again

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ok kee doke e, It has been the busiest time I ever remember here on the farm. Late nights and long days. We have been doing a lot of concrete prep and dirt work with the skid steer in between the normal farm stuff. { Kubota K and muleman I will get your stuff finished soon I promise} Anyway, I have been pulling a lot of skidded weight with my RTV and have had the cracks appearing at the tire tread again. mudlite XTR} I had decided to put tubes in the rears {The only ones that developed cracks}. but I still got messed up. Evidently, I had a leak in one of them and ran it flat without knowing the other night. I hate it cause I think I ruined the tube. No amount of slime would work in it. So now I am out $50 on the 2 tubes and slime. Anyway , I know that many of you don't like the roughness of the Essex Surefoot but I am leaning that way-- I am tired of cracks in the rear tires from the weight I pull. I had the 27" xtr's on there till flat time then I put on the stored emergency WS tires back on. It's dry but I still almost got stuck in the bottom yesterday with 'em. So what is the opinion of ya'll on the 27" surefoot- will it be hard on the driveline since it is a heavier tire? I could go with the 26" which I found in a set of 4 .. 10 " wide front and rear. or the 27 ...9" front, 11 " rear. I am just tired of flats. The lugs are deeper on the 27's {1 1/8"} the 26's are only 5/8" deep. I can get a set mounted on black steel rims and delivered for less than $600. The 27's are not as smooth riding and would costs a bit over 600. So what do you think about the surefoots? I need to spend my money this week or get stuck-- always something isn't it!:( Bordercollie</p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
For your use around the farm I would go with the 27's. More lug depth and most likely more load carrying ability. Have you compared the weight ratings of both?</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i didn't see any mention of the 589's and another tire you should look into is the moto mtcthat tire has some treads about 2"deep and they are a beast . now if you want a tire that will get you through the thick stuff you might wanna try the outlaws maybe a 25"outlaw that tire will get you through anything the 589's did in 4x4 but you will go through it in 2x2 mode easlily. the outlaws are made so thick and tuff that most people run them with 1psi/2 psi but the most is 5 psi and trust me they won't even bulge like they are low on pressure. now they do have a bit of a rough ride at idoleing speed but anything just over idol and they run pretty good.they bite so good that when i pull someone out the holes they don't even spin they just bite you could even go with a outlaw in the rear and some 589's in the front . if you like them xtr's then you would love the 589 or outlaw tires now i forgot what tire makes the 589 copy made with kevlar but i know they was expensive and i don't think i would go that route.a regular 589 is tough enough i ran a set for over 5 years on my hpx and they held up great with the loads i hauled in it.i'm sure twoguns will agree about the 589's that they are a nice tire to have on your side in the thick stuff.something to think about is go to youtube and pop in the tire you are thinking of like i tried itp 589's and i put that in and you will get videos of people testing and riding with the 589's or any other tire you are interested in it's a good way to see what people are running and how they do in the mud or what ever else type of riding they do.good luck.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
not sure about the other tires but i am pretty sure all have the deep ligs from 26" on upi know the 589's do</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i forgot about this other tire i seen at the dealer the other day it's made by perelli it's called the mudwieser and i hear alot of good stuff about them.</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies. The surefoot has an 1150 lb rating and that is per tire. My xtr's are rated somewhere arount 450 lbs per tire. I have had these about a year as the rears were replaced under warranty by carlisle... the same thing happened previously. They are a great tire for light weight applications but not for my purpose. I had to put 18psi in them instead of the recommended 7 psi. I just have got to have a tire that will perform on the job and not give way. These surefoots have the 589 tread pattern and kevlar belts.I am mainly worried about the strain from the extra tire weight on the trans and ujoints. I will say that a big storm was threatening the other day and that emergency set of 25"WS tires ran me home @29mph and still stayed low on the temperature gauge. I am thinking that I might should go with the 26's although I know I would get more tire with the 27's. I hope this purchase will last as long as I own this particular RTV. I have 2859 hrs on it and need to save up for one instead of buying tires every 600 hrs.This is a link to those tires so ya'll can take a look if you wish. http://www.atvtiresale.com/essex-surefoot-big-wheel-kit-p-124.html If I decide on these, I will probably get them mounted on a set of plain rims and put up my polished rims for the future since the tires and rims would cost very little more together than just the tires elsewhere. The other places charge shipping so the rims and mounting work out in my favor. I make my living using this RTV and I need a tire as dependable as the RTV is. I will check out all tires mentioned before I drop the hammer so thanks again for all the suggestions.. Off to work...... Bordercollie</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I run Maxxis Bighorn tires. They're always getting great reviews. I don't put the hours on my RTV like you do but they do wear very well. After 5 years, they're like new.</p>

It's been a long time, but I do recall that you can use car/truck tires/rims on the RTV. I'm thinking they were Ford rims. Didn't know if you wanted to scope a junkyard for rims and put some new tires on them.</p>

</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Something else I just thought of...</p>

You may want to check with your Kubota dealer to see if they take-off tires/rims from a BX tractor. I believe it's relatively common as people get the tractor but then swap out their tires/rims for turf. I've gotten them from my local dealer in the past pretty cheap.</p>

The BX23/2230 use a 26x12-12.

The BX1500 uses the same rims and a 24x12-12 tire.</p>

</p>

</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
yea don't go no bigger than a 26"tire and i think i would skip the kevlar and go with a regular 589 by itp the kevlar tires are the same pattern as the 589 but it isn't made out of the same hard rubber as the 589.so you might be getting akevlar tire but it will wear down faster than a regular one. if it was me i would go with the 26" 589 and drop a bottle of slime in each one when you get them and there you go .</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
We know that I'm runningITP 589,27inchers on our RTV >>>> They are a super tire, and pull great over here.</p>

NOW, if I had to do it again, I would go with the ITP 589, 26 inchers</p>

I know that they might be a better tire out there, I have no fuss, but over here, the 589's have served us very well, and plan on using them on all of our applications around the farms, plantations, & swamps >>>></p>

May I add, wonder sometimes if I really need four wheel drive with these tires, they pull like no other tire I have owned >>>> </p>

Just my two cents worth >>>>
....................................................... two guns
</p>

sjcolu

Don't overlook the OEM tires. I have the recreational offroad OTR 440 mag tires that came on my 04 rtv with 500 hours on them. I will be going back with these tires for my next set. They have performed very well during planting season, in the woods or just back and forth from the house to the lease.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
sjcolu, you are exactly correct .... We alsorun the recreational offroad tires in the summer months on our RTV 900. Any yes, they perform very well until thevery bad wetseason comes a creaping in ... We take the 589's off around March and install them back on in the Beginning of November >>>></p>

............. two guns </p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Do you have to overinflate your tires? I have to say that my xtr's did great on climbing out of messes and rode nice too but pulling that really heavy stuff on skids with my overinflated tires just was too much for them. I loved them until the cracks appeared and the air started pouring out. I guess these have lasted about 600 hrs. ...I need more from them than that though. I am going to check out those suggested.Thanks for the replies They are always appreciated!..Bordercollie</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Think I might run a little more with the 589's, but not much more, maybe a couple of pounds if I remember correctly. Hauling things out of the swamps in the winter time, and pulling a trailer with barrels full of corn for the feeders. How is the average weight you carry in the back of the RTV ?</p>

Right now I have the OEM recreation grippers on >>></p>

............ two guns </p>

Bordercollie,</p>

I run 13 pounds in my 27-10-12 Super Grip Super Lites empty........I go to 20 pounds when loaded........So far so good but for hard work I would go for the Surefoot Kevlar.........</p>

Rusty Anvil,,,,,</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
There is nodoubt about it, the 27 inch Surefoots are some tuff & will probobly pull good >>>></p>

They would bea true guarantee to take the beating, and will truely be what bordercollieneeded !!! They do have a heavy payload rating >>>></p>

They are hard, they don't give or " flex " much !!!! But that might be the answer >>></p>

</p>

</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
26 inches don't have near the lugs as the27's >>></p>

If I was going to get the 26 incher Surefoots, I would go ahead and get the OEM recreational tires. The have the same amount of tire tread, and cost much less. Theoriginal Rec. OEM's are tuff themselfs >>>></p>

....... two guns </p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
just rememberif a tire weighs 30lbs on the chart you have to add 6lbs for the rim and another 10lbs to 15lbs for the mud that will cake onto them the charts only have just the tire weight if you still have your oem tires try weighing one just to see what the stock tires weighed that will give you some idea of how the rtv/utv/atv will do with a bigger more agressive tire.</p>