tires before it snows

razerface

hi, i just got a new rtv1100. I put a new Boss V plow on it last weekend.

My excuse was,,,I have a long driveway and my dozer tears it up when i plow with it.

I have WS tires on it. I want to get new tires installed before it snows, but can't decide which ones. My choices are these,,,in no order,,,

Bounty Hunter HT K585
Grim Reapers
STI Black Diamond XTR or ATR

I live in central ohio
I will plow snow, drive in logged woods cutting firewood, pulling splitter or wood trailer, drive around farm,,drive on asphalt road to get to town,,,pull loaded trailers with 3-400 lbs in the dump bed,, and drive around at tractor swap meets looking cool in my rtv,,

Any tires that i should eliminate from the list, or add? Max size opinion seems to be 26? I do not play in deep mud if i can avoid it, but may be forced to go thru some. I want a quiet and smooth ride as possible on pavement. Are these tires too heavy? I need all my HP.

How do i know what wheels to order? I looked for a "combo" but have not had much success. I guess i spend more time in the barn then on my internet skills.

any advice?

razerface

i forgot to ask,,,are there any particular wheels that are easier to keep clean then others? I admit to being lazy in the washing department....

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi razerface!!! Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. Sorry for the slow response, I'm busy putting together what i need to go pick up a used RTV for myself. I'm a fellow buckeye, but I'm on the Ohio River south of Marietta.

Check out this thread
http://nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14840

Post 7 by TwoGuns has a pic of the ITP 589's. They sure looks good.

Why did you cross Bounty hunters off your list?

One other tidbit.... I used to tear up the gravel part of my drive with a rear blade on my tractor. Then someone smarter than I suggested to turn the blade backwards. Works like a champ. Gets the snow off and does not tear up the drive. It does leave a little bed of snow behind but that is better than tearing up the drive. Works for me.

razerface

hi Doc! I just got done making a decision and ordered Grim Reapers on ST1 HD wheels. $893 delivered from texas to ohio for the curious among us.

I have a tractor with a rear blade,,but hate cranking my neck around to watch it,,so usually the bulldozer wins on the snow plowing. It is a Cat D3. No matter if the driveway is frozen or not,,,it moves gravel. Now the rtv can do it,,hopefully without all the rearranging of the gravel since the Boss blade is a lot lighter then the dozer blade.

I still need to mount my winch,,spray the fluid film,,,coat the inside of the bed,,,install turn sigs,,install a gun rack,,,invent a glove box,,,mount a toolbox, and I'm done for the winter.

I'll think about turbo's next spring after I drive it for a winter if it seems underpowered. For now, it needs broken in. I put 8 easy hours on it this week after work. How long till I can thrash it?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:eek: You got a dozer too. :eek: I'm drooling all over myself. :hide: I would love to have a dozer.
And I guess that is how you know about fluid film already. Guys on here told me about it as I'd never heard of it before. Good stuff. I need to order some more.

Yeah, it sounds like you are really going to deck out your RTV right!!! I saw a pic of one with kewl side rails on the bed. Don't have the pic now or I'd share it. Maybe after my road trip I'll remember to post it.

I was wondering about the turbo option, hoping I don't need it, but if I do I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Edit to add: congrats on the Grim Reapers & SD1 HD Wheels. I would like to see a pic of them once you put them on your RTV.

razerface

i don't know if i could exist without a dozer. I bought one when i started clearing land to build a house and just never sold it after we moved in.

I'll post pics when the tires get here. Right now i go home after work and just drive around with the snow blade on it,,,,sigh,,,,wanting snow bad. My wife thinks it's funny. New toy....

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm glad for you and apologize for not viewing this thread sooner. Let us know how those tires do for you. I hope to get a set of Black Diamond xtrs- I like the weight rating and tread deep depth of them- the black diamond atrs have shorter tread and a lesser weight rating. It will have to be after Christmas for me though . Congratulations on your RTV- bordercollie

razerface

hey bordercollie, i got convinced on the grim reapers over the diamonds,,,ONLY after i talked to 3 different sales people that told me the grim reapers would do better for me because of the amount of blacktop driving i will do. If i had more offroad driving,,,the diamonds would have been the choice. I hope i don't regret it as i will spend a lot of time in the woods,,dragging tree stuff out to cut for firewood and clean up logging remains,,, but like i said,, i don't care for mud (cleaning) and will find other things to do when it is real muddy. I did buy the rtv for fun more then work. The problem is,,,work is fun around my place. I like living in the country.

From what i read of your adventures,,,i would say you need the diamonds. I would buy the deep treads too!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Razer, the grim reapers sound like a good tire and they should do well for you. Keep us posted. thanks, bordercollie

Mark.Sibole

hey bordercollie, i got convinced on the grim reapers over the diamonds,,,ONLY after i talked to 3 different sales people that told me the grim reapers would do better for me because of the amount of blacktop driving i will do. If i had more offroad driving,,,the diamonds would have been the choice. I hope i don't regret it as i will spend a lot of time in the woods,,dragging tree stuff out to cut for firewood and clean up logging remains,,, but like i said,, i don't care for mud (cleaning) and will find other things to do when it is real muddy. I did buy the rtv for fun more then work. The problem is,,,work is fun around my place. I like living in the country.

From what i read of your adventures,,,i would say you need the diamonds. I would buy the deep treads too!

You shouldnt regret getting them.Ive had my reapers on for 2 years now and they ROCK.Havnt been stuck in and mud nor snow with them so Far.Only time o got stuck was in loose sand from pulling a 30 foot 15 inch diameter log out of the woods.I didnt take my time and spun all 4 tires till the frame was resting on the ground.
I love my Reapers.

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
RAZE,
YOU NEVER DID COMMENT WHY YOU CROSSED BOUNTY HUNTERS OFF YOUR
LIST
ZZZ2D1/DOORGUNNER

razerface

RAZE,
YOU NEVER DID COMMENT WHY YOU CROSSED BOUNTY HUNTERS OFF YOUR
LIST
ZZZ2D1/DOORGUNNER

I think the tread is more suited to pavement and hard dirt then snow and "woods mud". To me,, the reapers were between the bounty and the diamonds. The diamond more for dirt only,,bounty more for pavement and hard dirt,,,reaper kind of a cross over tire covering both sides that will "clean out" when needed,,, a little more open tread then the bounty,,,but not as open as the diamond..

If I was on more pavement then i am,,,the bounty would have stayed on the list and possibly won.

razerface

it snowed! We had 3 ft drifts! The grim reapers did great! On the pavement,,I was shocked at how much traction i had,,,since the roads here are ice from the blowing snow. I got up at 5am this morning and plowed 6 miles of pavement so my wife could go to work....... :winterrules:

Heatwave

I got up at 5am this morning and plowed 6 miles of pavement so my wife could go to work....

I bet she really doesn't appreciate all the things you do for her ....

Merry Christmas, Mate