Tires * Fair Deal

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
On my other machine I use in my deer management & hunting, other than my Kubota RTV, is my Honda Rubicon.
Changing the oil in Rubicon I notice my tires where cracking bad all over. These are OEM tires that came with the machine. They still had over 90-95% tread on them. Always been in dirt, mud. Never run on black-top road.
So happen to go to the Honda dealership for the oil filter.

Asked the parts man about the tires. He said they just sold a new Rubicon the day before, and the customer wanted some more aggressive tires, with new rims on them.

Ended up buying the pulled off, brand new, OEM tires and rims for 250$, no tax.

They are Maxxis. There are some on here, like bczoom ( who I repsect much ) who run Maxxis on their Kubotas. Figured they will serve me well on the Rubicon. My tires that started cracking bad was Dunlops.

Also: Since new, I've been wanting to put Amsoil (synthetic oil) in my Honda Rubicon. And so many has told me ( including dealerships, mechanics, and internet sources) , I could not use synthetic for it has a automatic transmission ( Hondamatic) and it is wet clutch.
So after doing much research. I have found that several companies, Amsoil being one, now has synthetic oil THAT WILL WORK !!! And it does perfectly and better.
They are Wet Clutch compatible. Also, oil has to be JASO MA rated. Has API service classification SG or higher, EXCEPT oils labeled as energy conserving on the circular API service label. Can not be a energy conserving oil. Amsoil states on label, on their motorcycle oil, " Wet Clutch Compatible "

Oils that can be used :
Shell Rotella T Synthetic
Amsoil Motorcycle
*** Might be others, but have not researce any further.

And seen this email form Shell:
"We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our soon to be introduced (within the next 2 months) Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.

All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do meet JASO MA."

....... two guns
:thewave:

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Great post Two Guns. That is good to know and glad you got some tires. What a deal! :) bordercollie

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Must be them tires on the Honda are like the owner. Old, not used enough and getting some age cracks.....:whistling::wave:

Z15

Also: Since new, I've been wanting to put Amsoil (synthetic oil) in my Honda Rubicon. And so many has told me ( including dealerships, mechanics, and internet sources) , I could not use synthetic for it has a automatic transmission ( Hondamatic) and it is wet clutch.

I have a 2006 Honda Rincon and been using AMSOIL 10W-30 Motorcycle oil in it since it had 5 hrs on it and it operates flawlessly. It's specially designed for wet clutch.

I actually had the Honda salesman tell me I could not use synthetic oil (AMSOIL) as well but I told him what he can do with that advice and almost did not make the purchase. I had been using AMSOIL longer than he was alive and I told him so. As I was getting ready to drive off he came over to shake my hand and thank me for the cash purchase and said, I hope I did not offend telling you not to use AMSOIL synthetic oil. I have to say that because we do not sell it and if the boss did not hear me tell you that I would be in trouble.

PS - We (my family) have a 2001 Rancher, 2005 Rancher, 2006 CanAm, 2010 John Deere X728, 2012 Sierra Denali, 2009 Cadillac CTS4, 2012 Cadillac SRX, 2013 Chevrolet K3500 CC Duramax all using AMSOIL. Change oil once a year.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Mike! Looks like you have a nice stable of toys.

The oil discussion in this thread got me thinking. I have a Suzuki LT-250 Utility quad that's running hot, really hot. I don't recall what oil I put in it last time as this ATV doesn't get used much.

If I just used regular 10W-30 Quaker State or Pennsoil auto type oil, could that be causing temp issues?

Z15

Oil is not likely causing the temp rise unless is very low on oil?

I am not familiar with the LT250 other than being a 4-stroke.

I would find out whats causing the heat issue. Often times its mud and dirt that causes heat issues.

100% synthetic oil can definitely handle the heat much more than regular mineral oil can but I am not suggesting it will solve your problem BUT it might.

There is less evaporation with synthetic oils. The evaporation loss is of particular importance in engine lubrication. Where high temperatures occur, portions of an oil can evaporate. Evaporation may contribute to oil consumption in an engine and can lead to a change in the properties of an oil.

The Maximum allowed rate of evaporation of auto oil is 15% set by the API. Most synthetic oils fall below 10% naturally because they have even molecules and create less friction and thus less heat better controlling volatility. The AMSOIL 10W-30 motorcycle oil for instance is at 5.1% whereas QS is just under 15% max.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Mike. Oil level is good but thought I'd ask.

Machine is clean (no mud). Running lean may cause it be we can't figure out how it could have changed.

It runs hot enough for muffler to start to glow red.

Z15

The ethanol in the fuel could cause it to run lean. Ethanol contains less energy per gallon compared to gasoline. Based on this, many new vehicles have computer systems that sense and correct for high ethanol content. Small engines and most power sports equipment are not programmed to detect this and a lean burn situation results. Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means it has a tendency to absorb water. Ethanol readily separates from gasoline and ends up on the bottom of gas tanks in a concentration that is rich in ethanol and water. When the ethanol rich mixture is pulled into the engine this lean burn increases combustion temperatures significantly, which can lead to severe engine damage.

Try using only ethanol free gasoline and its mostly going to be premium that will not have ethanol.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm going to give that a try. At least fresh fuel. Hard to get ethanol free without going to the marina or airport (and I don't want to put the airport 105 octane in a machine that's already running hot...).